• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a 'cleaning' question: is there a moistened wipe that exists, to quickly clean dirt/dust of the sides of the heel, prior to applying edge dressing? Or just for a quick swipe to clean this area, period? I find I accumulate a lot of dirt here, esp as I drive a standard. Thoughts? TIA J
There is this better way to do it, which is to get a dauber brush, dip it lightly in warm water and brush the mud and crud off of the area. How easy is that? Other than that, a big brush to brush the mud and dirt off will do a lot better. Lightly sprinkle your "dust off" brush with clean water and brush the area until it is clean. Done.

tradbrah

Reaction score
Received some shell Strands in my same size as calf. They are a lot tighter across the instep. I've heard of shell being more volumnous, but anyone ever have it less volumnous? It's a EEE so no chance of going up in width. Just wondering if this is due to the "handmade" effect. Wondering if I should try my chances on a second pair in the same size or not.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received some shell Strands in my same size as calf. They are a lot tighter across the instep. I've heard of shell being more volumnous, but anyone ever have it less volumnous? It's a EEE so no chance of going up in width. Just wondering if this is due to the "handmade" effect. Wondering if I should try my chances on a second pair in the same size or not.

The defect that makes a shoe a second can be sizing related. Another possibility for the discrepancy is that you have not yet broken in the new shoes and compressed the cork.

tradbrah

Reaction score

The defect that makes a shoe a second can be sizing related.  Another possibility for the discrepancy is that you have not yet broken in the new shoes and compressed the cork.

Allen Edmonds claims that "Our Factory-Second shoes contain a minor cosmetic blemish that does not affect the fit, comfort, or durability of our shoes."

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I actually have McAllisters in both calf and cordovan in 8.5D, I found both to be very similar in fit. I would say it's worth trying another set, explain to the SA about the sizing discrepancy compared to your calf pair and I am sure they would waive the restocking fee. If you need a SA to talk to about that just send me a PM, I bet mine would be more than happy to help.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The defect that makes a shoe a second can be sizing related. Another possibility for the discrepancy is that you have not yet broken in the new shoes and compressed the cork.

I've returned one pair to shoebank out of 10+ pairs bought.

Sizing was the issue on those Rothsays.

I have a first Q pair now which fit fine.

epc2

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So is the Gobi basically a Mojave with a Dainite sole and different color/material, I see both are on the 9 last and both have 2 eyelets, any other differences?

Thanks.

DayTripper

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So is the Gobi basically a Mojave with a Dainite sole and different color/material, I see both are on the 9 last and both have 2 eyelets, any other differences?

Thanks.
It's my understanding that the Gobi is lined where the Mojave was unlined.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
I mean, Bob's Chili is a beautiful color, but it's nothing like Merlot.
Wish they were making this in Merlot.
Merlot trumps all.

Not to rain on the parade, but I actually wanted to ask this before y'all started talking about it: Do you not fine AE's Merlot Calf to be way too dark? Unless I'm outside, my Merlot McAllisters look almost black.

I just lately lucked out on some (light) Burgundy Shell Cambridges for $325 that I spent last night cleaning up, and I'm definitely going to keep them and sell off the McAllisters. (They are flawless after 2 remakes, only warn once, and in size 8.5D if anyone is interested in them.)

kentyman

Reaction score
+1
I've had a similar thing happen with suede strand seconds two years ago

My Suede Strand firsts fit way tighter than my calf and shell versions. I think @OptoDoc (?) may've had a similar experience, but I cannot remember for sure.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to rain on the parade, but I actually wanted to ask this before y'all started talking about it: Do you not fine AE's Merlot Calf to be way too dark? Unless I'm outside, my Merlot McAllisters look almost black.

I just lately lucked out on some (light) Burgundy Shell Cambridges for $325 that I spent last night cleaning up, and I'm definitely going to keep them and sell off the McAllisters. (They are flawless after 2 remakes, only warn once, and in size 8.5D if anyone is interested in them.)

I don't own a pair of merlot, but I'm more partial to the darker burgundy. Sounded like some people were trying to start one up in burgundy shell, I'll opt out though since shell is a little much for me at the moment.

My Suede Strand firsts fit way tighter than my calf and shell versions. I think @OptoDoc (?) may've had a similar experience, but I cannot remember for sure.
Same. Super tight across the instep.

kentyman

Reaction score
It's my understanding that the Gobi is lined where the Mojave was unlined.

And a different pattern:

Mojave:

Gobi:

pudman43

Reaction score

I agree K, my merlot McA's were also quite dark , and I felt it took away from the character of the shoe a bit.... J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads