• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the RDA flyer, the Long Branch looks like a steal at that price, especially with another harsh winter predicted in Chicago. Couple of questions:

1. Who's got a pair of Long Branches? Just wondering how the fit is for someone like me, who usually goes with a 12 D

2. I really like the Golden Chromexcel color, but I'm curious as to how it looks after it ages a bit. AE currently doesn't make a polish in that color, so I'd probably just go with a neutral, but I was wondering if anyone had another shoe in the same color that could chime in as to how it looks after some wearing.

3. What's the best way to treat these for protection against the salt? Haven't owned a pair of AE shoes that I'd wear out in the elements, and just want to make sure I'm protecting my investment.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at the RDA flyer, the Long Branch looks like a steal at that price, especially with another harsh winter predicted in Chicago. Couple of questions:

1. Who's got a pair of Long Branches? Just wondering how the fit is for someone like me, who usually goes with a 12 D

2. I really like the Golden Chromexcel color, but I'm curious as to how it looks after it ages a bit. AE currently doesn't make a polish in that color, so I'd probably just go with a neutral, but I was wondering if anyone had another shoe in the same color that could chime in as to how it looks after some wearing.

3. What's the best way to treat these for protection against the salt? Haven't owned a pair of AE shoes that I'd wear out in the elements, and just want to make sure I'm protecting my investment.

Agree that the LB is a fantastic price!

I own a pair, and I find them to be a little "looser" overall (width wise, mostly) than the Dalton, which is another wingtip boot (in calfskin leather) built on the 1 last. I own them both in the same size/width, but looking at them side by side (and trying on one of each at the same time) makes it clear that the LB is a bit wider/roomier. Other people may have different experiences. You will likely be wearing them with thick-ish socks, so you may not need to adjust your sizing at all.

I was planning on a little conditioner cleaner, and if I had some leather lotion from AE I might use that too. I own Obenauf's HDLP, and used that on my Eagle County boots. I'm still not sure whether I want to use it on my LBs . . . everyone says it darkens the leather, and the dark brown is the perfect color for me right now. I wouldn't want them darker. That said, a week or so after treating my Eagle County boots with the Obenauf's, the color seems to have returned to as close as "normal" as I can recall them being. So maybe it's just a temporary color change while it's soaking in.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My long branches def are roomier and I use boot socks with them...I have to go through my posts as I do not remember if I treated mine with Aussie Balm or HDLP...whichever it was I used several very light coatings with my fingers...I did not use the saturate it mwthod as I wanted to preserve the waxy brown finish.

I like Aussie Balm alot and use it on my boat shoes and some other shoes

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score
I too am considering picking up the Long Branches during the RDA sale. I don't wear thick socks, which brands do you guys normally wear with the LBs?

Oh and get to your local SA and get your preorders in. I was in earlier today and ordered me two belts that I needed.

Last edited:

SkySaw

Reaction score

CXL is a great winter leather, as it is a pull-up leather that is stuffed with a lot of oils. Because all the oils it won't take polish or wax, Horween recommends sparse treatments with vsc or Renovateur, apart from brushing. A great thing about the LB's is that the sole brings the leather up high enough out of most salt and water exposure. I used my waxy brown LB's through last winter, and they still look perfect.

I would never use HDLP on any of my nice footwear unless it had already been basically destroyed. IMO, HDLP destroys the lustre and subtlety of the leather, and makes everything look dark and dull.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I too am considering picking up the Long Branches during the RDA sale. I don't wear thick socks, which brands do you guys normally wear with the LBs?

Oh and get to your local SA and get your preorders in. I was in earlier today and ordered me two belts that I needed.

I love Goodhew Merino wool socks, medium or heavy for winter. They wick moisture efficiently and are soft and comfortable.

Linked a source for seconds to test a pair.

LeviMay

Reaction score
My Long Branches were my first pair of AEs. I agree with what's been mentioned, that they're a touch roomier than other 1-Last shoes.

For reference to the question above, here are my Golden Brown CXL Leeds. I would imagine the LBs would be great in this leather:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got off of livechat about the Gobi -- apparently the 809 lasts only exist in the standard size run, so even paying the MTO fee won't allow 'em to be made in an AA width. It's a shame; a snuff chukka on a dainite sole would simultaneously fill a few holes in my collection.

I'm intensely jealous of all you people with normally-proportioned feet. :brick:

Jackboot

Reaction score

I love Goodhew Merino wool socks, medium or heavy for winter.  They wick moisture efficiently and are soft and comfortable.  

Linked a source for seconds to test a pair.

I wonder if Goodhew makes the same socks for Costco:

http://www.costco.com//.product.100..._source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Made in USA, 70% wool, 29% nylon, 1% spandex.

4 pairs for $12 is such a deal. Same price online (with free shipping) and in-store. I bought them last winter and they are fantastic winter socks, and at $3/pair they can't be beat.

Jackboot

Reaction score
PSA: the Gobi is already available from the shoe bank. That nice tan saddle Gobi is $199, and I imagine will be another 15% off during the RDA. Deal.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Goodhew makes the same socks for Costco:

http://www.costco.com//.product.100..._source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Made in USA, 70% wool, 29% nylon, 1% spandex.

4 pairs for $12 is such a deal. Same price online (with free shipping) and in-store. I bought them last winter and they are fantastic winter socks, and at $3/pair they can't be beat.

Very similar composition, wool/nylon/spandex but not identical...maybe same manufacturer.

That is a great price, if they fit. :)

I think they are similar to the lighter weight Goodhews.

The heavyweight (or middleweight) versions are just as comfortable, but :) warmer for winter use.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PSA: the Gobi is already available from the shoe bank. That nice tan saddle Gobi is $199, and I imagine will be another 15% off during the RDA. Deal.

Not to sprinkle on your March, but the 199$ price already reflects a current 15% discount on new styles that's running right now. Expect the RDA to be similar.

ReppTiePrepster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Little trivia question for AE aficionados out here... Can anyone name this shoe model?
(Black calf, double leather sole, short wingtip blucher, I believe on the 511 last)

My first pair of AE

DayTripper

Reaction score
I wish they'd release a nice shortwing blucher model - didn't Paul say they were supposed to this fall?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wish they'd release a nice shortwing blucher model - didn't Paul say they were supposed to this fall?

He said that McGregor was going to be short wing.

3 LWB but no SWB! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads