• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEdge

Reaction score
Nasty separation in my Stanford seconds that were given to me for Christmas. They've been my primary brown shoes since, wearing them 2-4 times per week. Don't walk to work and work in a carpeted environment. For this to be occurring within 4 months seems highly unusual. Does anyone have any suggestions for what AE might do if I file a complaint? I've worn them way too much to prove that this is a manufacturer defect, but I've certainly come to expect more from my AE shoes.

Assuming that AE will not be able to help me, does anyone have any suggestions for repair? Do I need a full recrafting? Is there some sort of glue that might be appropriate? Seems the rubber heel portion was held into place via metal studs driven into the heel and little to no glue was used originally...

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nasty separation in my Stanford seconds that were given to me for Christmas. They've been my primary brown shoes since, wearing them 2-4 times per week. Don't walk to work and work in a carpeted environment. For this to be occurring within 4 months seems highly unusual. Does anyone have any suggestions for what AE might do if I file a complaint? I've worn them way too much to prove that this is a manufacturer defect, but I've certainly come to expect more from my AE shoes.

Assuming that AE will not be able to help me, does anyone have any suggestions for repair? Do I need a full recrafting? Is there some sort of glue that might be appropriate? Seems the rubber heel portion was held into place via metal studs driven into the heel and little to no glue was used originally...

They key being seconds.
You can contact them but they may charge you for the fix.
If they were first quality, it would likely be for free.

cats33cats

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Kenilworth is full or corrected grain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone know if the Kenilworth is full or corrected grain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corrected grain from AE is always labeled "polished cobbler."

All kenilworths are full grain calf. Except for mine, which are shell cordovan. :)

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They key being seconds.
You can contact them but they may charge you for the fix.
If they were first quality, it would likely be for free.

I thought AE states that seconds are supposed to be cosmetic defects or flaws and not something that would affect the integrity of the shoe. Are you implying his were seconds because they had some sort of flaw in the heel that AE was aware of? I doubt that is the case here.

It couldn't hurt to ask AE about it, they might decide to take care of him. Otherwise a cobbler should be able to just glue it back on for him I would think, probably charge like $5

Last edited:

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought AE states that seconds are supposed to be cosmetic defects or flaws and not something that would affect the integrity of the shoe. Are you implying his were seconds because they had some sort of flaw in the heel that AE was aware of? I doubt that is the case here.

It couldn't hurt to ask AE about it, they might decide to take care of him. Otherwise a cobbler should be able to just glue it back on for him I would think, probably charge like $5
You are probably right.
I would however have the cobbler attach the heel properly with the original method.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bring it into one of the DC-area shops and they'll most likely take good care of you. If they don't, clean it with a soft cloth and rubbing alcohol, then use a little bit of this stuff to bond it back together; it'll be fine.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
E just wants him to see what it felt like to walk with florsheim V-Cleats i.e. suicide heels.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am more surprised that someone wears the same pair of shoes 4 times in one week than that a heel feel off
bounce2.gif

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am more surprised that someone wears the same pair of shoes 4 times in one week than that a heel feel off
bounce2.gif
Most men I know wear the same pair of shoes every day.

hp5273

Reaction score
Awesome. Are yours brown or burgundy? Here are mine:

Nice! I have Kenilwortths in burgundy and brown shell Strands too.

Walnut Strands get a lot of love but I really like the brown shell version.

Last edited:

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
bounce2.gif
you spend WAAAAAAAAAAAY to much time on this forum my friend... Most guys own one pair of dress shoes... usually of the 40-80$ variety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads