1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR Magat

JR Magat Senior member

Thanks guys! I'll definitely pick up some Bick 4 and give that a try. They were a little dry when I got them, so I did have some VSC handy and applied some last night. Overall they are in pretty good shape, just pretty good creases but I can't complain for the price I paid haha. I'm new to the shell game so I appreciate the input!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Odradek - not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but for what it's worth, I took the same size in the Grayson, Manchester, Jermyn and lake shore drive. Tried the McGraw and dornach in the same size and the length and width were correct, but the last was just plain wrong for me. The toebox seemed humongous and I didn't like where it bent when I walked. This, combined with the 97 characteristic big heel just made it fit badly for me. Would say try before if possible. I couldn't see myself getting anything on this last.

3. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Bick 4 is great stuff

4. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

In the last few minutes months, I've learned a lot about shoes here. And I'm starting to notice how few people actually think about their shoes.
    I now notice that the vast majority of men are wearing shoes that don't match (black shoes with khakis, for example) or are wearing shoes that are terribly scuffed and rough looking.
    It's a pretty sad state of affairs.

5. SteveJain

SteveJain Member

I went to a daddy daughter dance last night at my 5 year old daughters school. The invite said Formal Wear, I could not believe how many dads showed up in navy blazer with gold buttons, khaki pants and black and brown loafers. Some with a tie but the majority had no tie. I don't typically think of myself as that much of a style maven but I gotta say it was pathetic and simply could not believe it.

I was one of maybe 3 dads I saw that had on lace up shoes!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2 people like this.
  7. rostov

rostov Senior member

I own both the Banchory and the MacNeil (10.5 3E). I'd say the Banchory is much tighter across the instep and overall snugger, but for myself, means this is a much better fit. Mind that the leather on the Banchory is very soft and stretches easily. It's one of my most comfortable shoes given that there is little resistance from the softness and unstructured nature of the upper, with much of the support and structure of the shoe coming from the sole.

8. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

It most certainly is! :D

9. rostov

rostov Senior member

Honestly, the other fathers are dressing better than I'd expect in this case. Not that they shouldn't dress better, but I've seen so much worse. Most men just don't know. Often, those that are not ignorant of dress codes, style, and have the money will do a cost-benefit analysis to decide it isn't worth paying money to dress "right" if most everyone else is ignorant. I often dress appropriate to an invitation and rarely seem overdressed, but nobody is offended by those wearing slacks and blazers (those wearing jeans usually get a few stares, on the other hand).

I was thinking about this just the other day. I recently showed up to a luncheon where I was one of the few people *not* wearing a suit. Should I have? Maybe, but did it really matter? I had no regrets by skipping the suit and choosing a blazer. Who was more a fool, me (not a banker), or the 200 others (mostly bankers) wearing the same dark suit at noon? I know it's far from your original thesis, but following the uniform is less important than looking good, feeling good, and presenting yourself well -- in my case, I struck up more conversation by looking dapper, but different, than I suspect I would have otherwise.

*shrug*

2 people like this.
  10. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

I agree with this...if theres one thing ive learned from this thread, its that: although ive learned a great deal about style and how to apply it to my own style direction, and which styles i prefer over others, the underlying constant seems to be that very, very, very few people outside of this forum seem to give a shit about the style rules at all; that is, if they even know they exist in the first place...this has led me down my own path of discovery and subsequent creativity upon realizing that although i have a great deal more knowledge about style now, life isnt about coordinating every piece of clothing you have according to its color, fit and function, everytime you walk out of the door. And that ultimately no one today gives a shit about the rules as long as theyre comfortable, and look presentable and arent harming anyone.

However i am much more confident now in knowing that if i did have to follow some sacred style bible, i do now have the knowldge to do so...but as it stands, for now, im just happy that i can conscientiously make the executive decision to wear what i like and wear what makes me feel good.

1 person likes this.
  11. SteveJain

SteveJain Member

The invite said "No Jeans" so they had to wear at least slacks or dress pants or they could not get in...it probably should have said no khakis too

Remember the invite said Formal Wear. That is what shocked me, as I said I am far from the most stylish person I knowl but doesn't everyone assume that means a tie? And NOT khakis?

12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Great post. Rules are mean't to be broken. Just imagine if everyone dressed following the rules, ie wearing a grey suit with black shoes. I like to dress with some color and only outside this forum people will actually say you can't wear walnut strands with a navy suit.

PS, when do new styles come out from AE?

13. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I just picked up a pair of brown Oak Streets in Jeffersonville, using the 20% discount from the outlet mall. These are awesome shoes.
    Yes, there is a 20% discount running right now with the coupon.

14. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

I believe it's only current models and not closeouts correct?

15. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Yes, the discount only applies to current models.

16. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Also believe that's a Tanger coupon, not an AE coupon, so it only applies to AE outlet/shoebank stores attached to Tanger Outlets.

17. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Yes, this one was Jeffersonville specific. Not sure if it will at others that are part of the Tanger system.

18. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

Technically, "Formal Wear" would indicate white tie/ tails, while semi-formal would dictate black tie. In the modern world however, few people know this and "formal wear" is used to tell people not to wear Crocs and a Big Johnson t-shirt with their cargo shorts. It usually doesnt work though...

19. abc5

abc5 Active Member

badlands now after some saphir renovateur.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. althanis

althanis Senior member

Looking good man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.