• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickCarraway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best-looking style of Allen Edmonds penny loafers? I rarely wear loafers -- my previous pair wore out years ago and I never replaced them -- but I'm tired of having that hole in my shoe wardrobe, especially since I'm traveling to a few casual weddings this summer and it would be nice to have loafers to wear to the rehearsal dinners, morning-after brunches, and so forth. On the website, the differences between the different loafer styles seems pretty subtle (they might be more pronounced in person). Does it just depend on which last fits your foot best? Is one style more versatile than the other? I would mainly wear it without socks in the warm months. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! My price range is flexible, but I probably wouldn't want to go much above $250 because I won't wear them all that often.

Also, though I realize this is the AE appreciation thread, if anybody has a non-AE suggestion, I would be open to it as well.

Loafers have the smallest margin for error regarding fit. Too tight and the vamp digs into your instep, too loose and your heels are flopping in and out. So it would be best to try them on at an AE store, or at one of the other retailers (Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom, etc.) that carries them. Also, what looks best on your foot might not look as good on someone else's. For example if you have small feet you can balance that with a shoe with more substantial construction. Or if most of your pants have a tapered hem, you might want a more slender shoe.

As you browse the website though, make a note of the models that describe the leather as "Polished" - that's AE's term for "Corrected Grain" leather that has been sanded down and it looks rather plasticky compared to regular calfskin.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/41535#post_7025063 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]
A staple loafer and casual double monk (that I will dress up regularly) in one fell swoop. Thank you 2/250! Quote:
are those double monks the pine rivers distressed?
Yes they are; I just conditioned them and put a bit of neutral wax on the toe & heel ( I know - shine on the casual shoe..."ugh"; I just wanted a lil' pop on the toe. One coat. I think the conditioner and single coat of wax made for a nice 'shine transition' from toe to vamp) Loved by many around my office, on the train to and from work, and random passersby... Morning sunlight shows more Brown of the 'Brown Distressed.' Classy casual. Have worn the last two days (which I NEVER do; shoe treed and brushed at night) because they're that comfy. Hello, poron insole!
I asked a couple of pages back -- if I'm a 9.5 EEE on the 5 last, do I need to go down in width with the Mora 2.0? Thanks

dennhyl

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, and just started my AE collection

Merlot Strands
Walnut Strands (First pair, bought new, started the obsession)
Black Cliftons
Brown Kenilworths

Subutai

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, and just started my AE collection

Merlot Strands
Walnut Strands (First pair, bought new, started the obsession)
Black Cliftons
Brown Kenilworths

Welcome and great start! Now add some wingtips and monkstraps to that collection!!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Weird fit question...

I have an 8.5D in PA's and I feel like they fit a hair big, but are comfortable. If I got a heel insert (not the stuff that you glue to the back), they'd probably be perfect.

I bought two pairs of suede strands in an 8E during the seconds sale because I thought they'd be a better fit.

They get on fine and I have no tightness on my big or little toes, which is great, but on the left foot of both pairs of strands, I can feel this 'ramp' of sorts with my toes. It doesn't seem to bother me while walking on carpet, but the toes are legit resting on a ramp and it's weird feeling. I can feel the ramp part with my fingers, but is this something in the insoles that will break in with time? They'd fit pretty much perfectly if that part of the insole was flat.

Edit: I have a feeling this means that the toebox is too small since my toes aren't sitting where they should on the insole :/

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PSA: no posting pictures of your feet, ankles, blisters, scabs,etc without a freakin spoiler tag. If someone wants to click and see it that's their choice and it's fine. But to make it so I have to inadvertently see is ridiculous. Seriously.
Whut?! ARE WE NOT MEN?! What's next? No body art? Banning Mac from posting his pasty legs? Are you some kind of mod? This is a free-flowing internet forum, after all.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd of 2/250: Tan (walnut) RL Singletons...

If I'm not mistaken, those RL Singleton's are made for AE in Bangor, ME by Highland Shoe Company.

I KNOW I'm not mistaken that they are well built and great looking.

And I'm absolutely positive that getting those for $125 is a steal, despite a cosmetic blip or two.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As you browse the website though, make a note of the models that describe the leather as "Polished" - that's AE's term for "Corrected Grain" leather that has been sanded down and it looks rather plasticky compared to regular calfskin.

This is no longer true.

BL70

Reaction score
Quick question-

I picked up a couple of seconds during the 2 for 250 sales - a pair of singleton loafers and a pair of cognac ridgeway

The right shoe of the singletons (left one in picture) has a darker color blemish spot at the front, and a few scuffs on the side; are there any way I can go about fixing these issues?
Also what shoe polish/cream should I use for this pair? Walnut or neutral?

And has anyone had any experience with the cognac ridgeway or just cognac colored shoes in general? What cream polish do you use for them?

I don't think cream Polish is recommended for Dublin leather only conditioner cleaner. This is according to the AE care guide.
How do you like the Ridgeway and what made them seconds? I am waiting for delivery on a pair from the sale.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Wow. That could be the best loafer I've seen as well. Where did you get for $123?
I'm not sure why, but they were at Rack. It looked like someone took them from the Santoni box, tossed a $123 tag on them, put them (incognito)) on a shelf and then got their wings!!!
worship.gif
They are flawLESS...Win!
I asked a couple of pages back -- if I'm a 9.5 EEE on the 5 last, do I need to go down in width with the Mora 2.0?

Thanks
2.0 is on 108 last; Pine River is on 3-73 last - they're different fits. I got the Pine River in the same size (thanks to Vincenzo) as my Strands/Mcallsters/5th Aves/Cambridges (11.5E), and this last appears thinner, so I would size UP one size in width, at the very least. Since it's an adjustable monk strap shoe, though, I'm spitting in the wind...

...Assistance from 2.0/Strand owners???
If I'm not mistaken, those RL Singleton's are made for AE in Bangor, ME by Highland Shoe Company.

I KNOW I'm not mistaken that they are well built and great looking.

And I'm absolutely positive that getting those for $125 is a steal, despite a cosmetic blip or two.
Amen. MSRP may vary, but it looks and feels like an awesome shoe, worth much more than $125. There was a red tag on the box: $159.99. So I saved $34.99; I'm good with that!
fing02[1].gif

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Its Walnut Wednesday for me today.

That combo is bonkers, bkotsko; the pants are great with your (incredibly deep hued) walnut Daltons. How'd you get them so....saturated with color? Are you just using walnut polish? Is it the lighting? That color is the deepest I've seen on that boot. Mine are several shades lighter.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharp. Love the tweed-walnut combo.

That combo is bonkers, bkotsko; the pants are great with your (incredibly deep hued) walnut Daltons. How'd you get them so....saturated with color? Are you just using walnut polish? Is it the lighting? That color is the deepest I've seen on that boot. Mine are several shades lighter.

The trousers are from Epaulet. The boots are from a run by Pelle Line.
The only thing I use on the walnuts is occasionally Saphir Reno, and even more rarely Saphir Neutral Cordo Cream.
Most of the time it is brushing and buffing only.
These are approaching a year old, and I did get quite a bit of wear on them.
They are unlined as well, and sometimes I feel like the unlined shell develops its patina much differently than lined.
However, to be honest... its probably mostly lighting. It was cloudy natural lighting in the pic this morning.

Thanks, Gents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads