1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Far from being my favorite, but I would say my most versatile would be my black Daltons. Walnut Strands? If you want the captoe to scream for attention and be the first thing anyone notices maybe - doesn't work for me. Are you guys talking about that sort of soft flexible suede neumok in brown? I tried that and didn't like it at all. The acorn one was nice but that brown one I just couldn't stand - and this is coming from someone who bought the red. Guess everyone's opinion is different.

2. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

I can definitely recommend the Dalton, but if you haven't tried it on, read through some of the reviews on the AE website about this right boot pressure issue some people have - one of those reviews is mine. It does go away but the break-in period was considerable, at least for me. Don't worry about going broke - when AE starts producing that lightweight comfort crap you'll be able to save more.

1 person likes this.
  3. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

These photos are reposts (and poor quality from an iPhone), but it's all I have for now, and the lighting in my apartment is abysmal for photography. The first two are from when I was asked to compare the 5 last (Park Ave.) to the 8 last. The pic of the Daltons was from when I first received them. The Carlyles are first quality and the Daltons are seconds, with no discernible flaws.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to highlight the 8 last's silhouette.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. rostov

rostov Senior member

I've had lots of bad luck with AE, but it's been generally improving. With seconds, anything too serious was happily returned pro gratis. The only seconds I've not returned and had trouble with have been the Banchorys with the tear (visible at purchase) & tongue stitching and my Walnut Shell Daltons, also with stitching issues (very minor and easily corrected by my cobbler). Besides these, I did have a pair of Bourbon calf Daltons with a faulty heel counter, which was my oddest defect and most troublesome return.

Overall, I'll continue buying seconds < $200 and shell < $400. Over that, it's harder not to justify firsts, especially considering the deals that can be had on clearance, during anniversary sales, etc.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

much appreciated @Darkside

6. rostov

rostov Senior member

If "lightweight comfort" doesn't remove from the catalog, I don't see what the problem is. I'm actually intrigued by the potential, depending on what the actual offerings end up being.

I understand the fear that offering casual shoes and taking risks with fashion could be detrimental to AE's success. However, smaller companies have an advantage over larger corporations in being more agile to change. That's admittedly easier for a startup than a genuine heritage brand, but it's also important to gain new customers, especially with an aging demographic. The last few years have been good and bad for shoe companies, with heritage styling coming back into fashion. Companies like AE see themselves attracting a new demographic, with more younger buyers than they've had in over two decades. They need to address that demographic as well as their long-time, loyal customers; that new, younger demographic might grow into being their next generation of long-time, loyal customers!

I'm in my early 30's and exclusively wear AE shoes 365 days a year (minus days I wear bean boots), but I know plenty of guys at my age or younger that wear expensive and glued, but nice-looking, leather sneakers... Leather sneakers are kinda "in" at the moment. Perhaps it's not your style, or mine, but maybe those same guys are buying the Walnut Strand, McTavish, or Gobi? Perhaps some of them will appreciate buying their next lightweight, leather casual shoe from AE as well? Is it not worth the experiment?

I suppose some will say those buyers should just go elsewhere fo their shoes and AE should just keep doing what it's always done. I guess that's fair. I'm biased because there are at least some styles I might be interested in not available by AE, but not available in my size by *any* maker, so I'm completely okay with a wide-width maker choosing to expand their line. That's especially true of it opens up more leathers for MTOs ;)

7. tyort1

tyort1 Well-Known Member

I think from a business/professional standpoint, AE has their core offerings and that does not change too much - Strand, Park Avenue, McAllister, Fifth Avenue, etc... But they've also added some new styles that I think are really outstanding - the Carlyle and the McGregor, both are extremely nice in person and I hope are part of the long term collection.

The other stuff that's more casual, you can see them trying out a bunch of new stuff every year and keeping what works/sells and discontinuing what does not. I think this is actually a pretty smart approach. They also seem to be learning how to make a better, more stylish shoe. Compare some of the styles like the Clark Street or the McTavish to some of the utter drek they had 3 years ago and you'll see what I mean. Even their stuff from the DR is better than the competition, IMO. I have a pair of tan Eastports and they have held up better, look nicer, and are more comfortable than the red/white Sperry Top Siders I have.

Anyway, I think AE is transitioning from a company that was pretty fuddy duddy to one with a more modern sensibility. I hope the trend toward more stylish shoes while maintaining high build quality and leather quality continues.

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Wearing my Elgins today. Doesn't get a lot of love because balmoral + casual details doesn't make a lot of sense. Good looking shoe though.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

I'm surprised there are already Rogue and Warwick seconds on the ShoeBank (for $254 vs $385 firsts). The 201 last is really comfortable with its roomier toe area and instep, yet still has the 5 last's sleek shape. I'm definitely considering the Warwick as my next purchase. A SWB would be nice as well on this last.

10. Jmm722

Jmm722 Senior member

it actually makes more sense. They're producing a new shoe in large quantities to create a stock, they're bound to make errors as they do with any other shoe. If anything, I'd expect more 2nd of those two models.

11. CEE88

CEE88 Senior member

I have this exact shoe, and it's as old as you say. It's been quite a while since I wore it -- just sitting in its original box in the closet -- but I may need to polish it up and take it for a spin in the near future.

12. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

woooooooooah, you mean this is a thing? I thought my right foot was deformed or something. My dark chocolate daltons have no issues, but the right boot of my walnut dalton kills me (same size in both colors). I wear them once in a pretty long time because I dread having to walk around all day in them...I'm hoping my right boot will break-in...eventually...

13. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

That just confirms what I thought - when I post a review on the AE site, it is super lengthy but informative - I try to be very objective and point out the issues that are both good and bad. The AE site is filled with these cell-phone texted reviews like, "great shoe," etc. that tell you nothing. Yes - that IS a thing. But at least for me it did go away.

14. Neo1

Neo1 Senior member

Well it should! Damn good looking - the McTavish are really good but I missed out on the Elgin - prefer captoe to wingtip.

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

As stated before, walnut strands are my favourite pair. Are they the most versatile? No, but with some nice Navy pants they look awesome (in my opinion). Whenever I wear them, I always get looks and compliments.

Of course versatile is dependent on your work environment. I can pretty much wear anything I like, but for guys who work in a more conservative environment I would say plain toe dark brown and a SLEEK black dress shoes like the carlyle. Not that bulky crap you see on the park avenue. All opinion of course

16. noyz

noyz Member

I agree with you about the Walnut Strands (technically they're my least favorite too because they're my only pair). The Walnut color is one of the main reasons I considered AE over other brands and I think it's fairly versatile. I agree with you about the Navy combo, but I've even gone with light grey and tan to lighter brown pants as well. Even in conservative environments, I don't think the average person would notice the toe medallion that much.

1 person likes this.
  17. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I think the Bourbon Strands work well with grey.
    [​IMG]

Chris

2 people like this.
  18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I think the Elgin got overshadowed a bit by the rush st but it is great looking...had I not had too many casual balmorals at the time I would have grabbed one.

19. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Did the availability of the Elgin and Rush St overlap?

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

No.

But both versions of the strandmok overlapped with each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.