1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Yeah, I didn't think so too except that time last year when suddenly there were Elgins and Stewarts available at the clearance section. That's when I got mine.

2. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

The bourbon is the most versatile color IMHO. Can even be worn with black, where the walnut cannot.

1 person likes this.
  3. DayTripper

DayTripper Senior member

Does anybody have any experience using AE's bourbon shoe polish? It's my understanding that they changed the color somewhat recently after lots of people complained that it didn't match. I'm debating whether to give it a shot or use neutral. The problem is my Daltons are slightly different colors so I'd like to even them out.

4. donkeyhoatie

donkeyhoatie Senior member

Those bourbons look great with gray. I debated a long time between walnut, bourbon, and oxblood for my Strands. Eventually went with oxblood, which I love with pretty much every color and style of pants (except jeans, I just feel they're a bit too formal for most denim). At some point, I may need to consider a bourbon pair as well.

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

6. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Senior member

Black,Walnut, Oxblood Warwick - 8.5D on the shoebank. $254.

Probably many more sizes too.

7. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Quick testimony about how funky the 5 last is

Tried on the Strand, McGregor and the Macallister today. 12D in McGregor was very roomy but fit well. 12D in Macallister fit the best snug without being tight..would break in perfectly. The Strand in 12D was way too tight. Additionally I own the Fifth Ave in 12.5 D and it fits well. Just weird....

8. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

(x-post from MTO thread)

A happy surprise waiting for me at the office today . . . natty shell MacNeils:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. rostov

rostov Senior member

New loafer called the Ascher landed on the shoebank. Available in black, walnut, and oxblood. At least 75 pairs landed, so it's available in most sizes.

Photo in black:

[​IMG]

EDIT: I'm also seeing White Suede Leeds(!!) -- bucks!, the Grayson and Warwick being introduced in Oxblood.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Congrats...they look great. Enjoy!

11. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

PSA:

Jos Banks shoe trees on sale today for $8.33 each. Use code "TODAY"

I'm embarrassed to say that I bought 6 more pair.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  12. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Those look delicious.

13. donkeyhoatie

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I'm really glad you went with a relatively dark welt/edge. That way, now I know exactly what mine will look like if they ever make natural shell available again for MTO's. :) Looks great.

15. donkeyhoatie

Yeah, I hear you on the funkiness. I just posted the other day about the Black Hills 12D fitting me perfectly and both the Strand and Mctavish having a more roomy fit. I changed the lacing patterns on both and they fit better, but still not the same as the Black Hills. Got some tongue pads the other day that I'm going to give a try, but I think I may need to make another trip to AE to get fitted the next time I see a 5 last shoe that I want. It's odd, because I did go to their outlet store in Brookfield, WI to get fitted and the 12D Strand was what I tried on and felt best in. I cannot figure it out for the life of me. You're right, it's just weird.

16. LordRasta

LordRasta Well-Known Member

17. teaegg

teaegg Active Member

18. teaegg

teaegg Active Member

19. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

(x-post from the MTO thread)

And (literally) the other shoe has dropped! Navy shell Leeds have just arrived:

[​IMG]

Very intense color . . . at first I thought they might have goofed and sent me black. Can't wait to get them in some sunlight.

2 people like this.
  20. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

So insane. Congrats, halfnhalfnhalf, both pairs are ridiculous. :slayer:

My Oxblood Daltons are all shined up and ready for Saturday! When I first purchased them, my SA told me to use the merlot polish that I already had for my pair of Walden loafers. Then, after reading here that burnishing was being removed with colored polishes, I switched to the AE neutral polish. The last time I wore them into the local AE brick and mortar, I was told to use black polish instead.

As a result, these have one light coat of each with a large amount of brushing and buffing with an AE cloth. These are seconds and were a bit splotchy in places that did not show up in photos, and while the neutral polish added some good gloss to the boots, the light coat of black polish evened out the finish pretty well without compromising the robust color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.