• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks random-adam That is good to know - I have a few par of Cordovan and have not tackled doing anything with them at all

rc121

Reaction score

Well, I can't speak for others but I didn't follow up because I didn't know.  But, like others, I've wondered what if anything could be done for my Cambridges.  I do have the jerrycan of VSC as well as the AE burgundy cream, so as much as I'd like to rely solely on Mac-ing, I may take another whack at them using products.

agreed, I'm not sure anyone really knew since there was no description. for what he had done. No offense Indy, but lots of buffing and brushing doesn't tell us much. Case in point that someone suggested using VSC and you said you had already tried it. We cant read minds.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I picked up a pair of BB pebble black MacNeil during the recent seconds sale. The only reason I can see that they may be seconds is that the leather on the toe of each is a little smoother than the rest of the shoe therefore the pebble doesn't show as much. Fine by me. My question... The only other shoe I owned before this one on the 7-97 last was a pair of Summit Aves I picked up last year. The only difference that I can tell between a MacNeil and the SA is that the SA has a single sole. http://answers.allenedmonds.com/ans...summit-avenue-questions-answers/questions.htm However, when I put the two next to each other like in the picture below, the MacNeil seems to have a much larger, more pronounced toe. Is it just my eyes playing tricks because of the double sole? I like the way the Summit Ave fits with what seems to me like a "sleeker" toe. Do all MacNeils look like the black ones in this picture? They feel like a boat anchor. I like them but I think I prefer the look/feel of the SA. Thanks!
I have a pair of Brooks Brothers chilli grain MacNeil 2nds that has the low toe profile of your Summit Aves (may be even lower). I wish it had the higher toe profile of your black MacNeils since the low profile causes my big toe to be in constant contact (with some slight pressure) with the toe cap and causes some pain after a few hours of wear. The toe profile is also different between the two shoes, which I thought is one of the defects that made it a 2nd. I didn't realize this until months after getting the shoe and several wears, so I could not return them. It's too bad because I really like the looks of the MacNeil. I also like the "boat anchor" feel of them too as they feels extremely substantial. Unfortunately I've decided that I have too many shoes now to spend time wearing a pair that causes discomfort, so I'm unlikely to wear them any more.

Last edited:

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't speak for others but I didn't follow up because I didn't know. But, like others, I've wondered what if anything could be done for my Cambridges. I do have the jerrycan of VSC as well as the AE burgundy cream, so as much as I'd like to rely solely on Mac-ing, I may take another whack at them using products.
IMO, Mac method is really only useful for Alden shells. I don't have any Aldens, but my understanding is that they come out of factory with a higher level of shine due to Alden's process. People also say that Alden shells always look moist and I believe there are indeed enough oils in Alden shell to bring out a shine with brushing.

However, if you look at shell from C&J or even Carmina on on SF they look drier and more matte, particularly the C&J for RL. AE also looks drier than Alden out of the box. I've found that infusing it with some sort of cream from the get go and Mac method from then on is a good way to get that shine we all like on our shells.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

IMO, Mac method is really only useful for Alden shells. I don't have any Aldens, but my understanding is that they come out of factory with a higher level of shine due to Alden's process. People also say that Alden shells always look moist and I believe there are indeed enough oils in Alden shell to bring out a shine with brushing.

However, if you look at shell from C&J or even Carmina on on SF they look drier and more matte, particularly the C&J for RL. AE also looks drier than Alden out of the box. I've found that infusing it with some sort of cream from the get go and Mac method from then on is a good way to get that shine we all like on our shells. 

Agree entirely.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my call back today regarding the brown cordovan Dundees seconds, they have been inspected and I was told by Chris from the Shoebank that they had a couple small scuffs and some very minor discoloration at the back. Sounded good to me so pulled the trigger and they should be here in about a week. Chris was confident I was going to be pleased with them and let me know that if I wasn't he would hook me up with a FedEx label and waive the restocking fee.

Here's to joining the Dundee club
cheers.gif

I went from zero cordovan in my collection to now adding 4 pairs in the last month lol. I think I am officially a cordovan addict.

IMO, Mac method is really only useful for Alden shells. I don't have any Aldens, but my understanding is that they come out of factory with a higher level of shine due to Alden's process. People also say that Alden shells always look moist and I believe there are indeed enough oils in Alden shell to bring out a shine with brushing.

I have to agree, my RL Lindricks actually looked pretty bad with only brushing off the get go. I have since used Saphir neutral cordovan cream, they look fantastic now and the shine can be maintained with just a light brushing.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my call back today regarding the brown cordovan Dundees seconds, they have been inspected and I was told by Chris from the Shoebank that they had a couple small scuffs and some very minor discoloration at the back. Sounded good to me so pulled the trigger and they should be here in about a week. Chris was confident I was going to be pleased with them and let me know that if I wasn't he would hook me up with a FedEx label and waive the restocking fee.
These folks bend over backwards to hook us up with exactly what we want at prices that nobody else can touch. AE customer service astounds me just about every time I see it mentioned.

chris45

Reaction score
I'll let Mike carry the ball for the time being . . . but I'd like to see your new grey Long Branches when you have a moment!

Came in this morning instead of yesterday -- these are first quality, display model (at seconds price).. you can see a couple scuffs and color a bit lighter around the top and pull tab (probably from people trying them on in store) .. but all in all, look nice

How do most people lace their Long Branch's??

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

IMO, Mac method is really only useful for Alden shells. I don't have any Aldens, but my understanding is that they come out of factory with a higher level of shine due to Alden's process. People also say that Alden shells always look moist and I believe there are indeed enough oils in Alden shell to bring out a shine with brushing.

Which cream do you personally prefer for your AE shells?

I finally got my brown strands to pop last night using the Mac method. I've abandoned brushing (I think the AE brushes are just scratching my shells and making them cloudy), and just buff gently but firmly with a microfiber cloth for about 5 mins.

Haven't gotten there yet with my burgundy kenilworths. Maybe I'll try some product. They do look a little dry, especially in the roll crease

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I finally got my brown strands to pop last night using the Mac method. I've abandoned brushing (I think the AE brushes are just scratching my shells and making them cloudy), and just buff gently but firmly with a microfiber cloth for about 5 mins.

Haven't gotten there yet with my burgundy kenilworths. Maybe I'll try some product. They do look a little dry, especially in the roll crease

Well brushing without buffing will do nothing for the shine. It's the buffing that brings out the shine. Brushing is supposed to bring up some oils which you eventually flatten out and bring to a shine when you buff. You definitely can not (Al least I can't) get a shine on shell just by brushing.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Based on trial and error I use only Saphir Cordovan Cream on my shells. I've only tried the neutral so far. I also use AE brushes and don't buff with a cloth. I probably could, but the shine is pretty good without it. I think it's better than renovateur and VSC.

The key is to let the cream absorb into the shell before brushing. I also use the AE cordovan cream to cover up any persistent scuffs. I use a small amount and use it as spot treatment.

jguyette

Reaction score
My Eagle County MTO arrived, and I couldn't be happier about how they turned out.
Tan Dublin, although it looks darker than the picture online. Mini lug sole. Natural wheeled welt, with white welt stitching.
Exactly what I was after...

chris45

Reaction score
And here is a downward pic with them on @halfnhalfnhalf

So far they feel good (but then again, this is the first decent boot I've owned in awhile).. and I also have them on without proper socks..

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well brushing without buffing will do nothing for the shine. It's the buffing that brings out the shine. Brushing is supposed to bring up some oils which you eventually flatten out and bring to a shine when you buff. You definitely can not (Al least I can't) get a shine on shell just by brushing.
Interesting. I do get a shine with just brushing and I've stopped buffing since I got the shine to be at a point I was satisfied. Perhaps if I started buffing again I'd get an even greater shine. Time to experiment.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
My first pair of shell were some black Leeds; I picked up a jar of AE's cordovan cream before I could be advised against it... and I agree. A little of that stuff twice a year keeps them looking really good. I suspect it has some kind of dyeing agent in it, because the shoes always look considerably blacker after I'm finished.

With my burgundy shell shoes I'm after a different effect (I want them to lighten up and look more ruby than burgundy, like the shoes that kicked off this thread) so I avoid using the AE cream, preferring a moderate scrubdown with VSC and then lots of time with a brush.
Agreed random-adam; the color was super saturated where I applied the cream... you may be able to see it in the photos. I'm sorry for the lack of description in my process - it was included in an earlier post - wipe down with a damp towel, followed by clean dry one (scooped up a lot of the bloom and stuff they put on the shoes). VSC application, massaged into hide (more bloom / stuff removed), repeat... Then a lengthy brush down (20+ min per shoe) with soft (should I have gone stiff?) horsehair brush...
out of box: after damp towel down and VSC: after extended brushing:

It was at this point that I used the bean sized amount of AE cordo cream on left shoe only to acquire even shine (using cotton T, let sit about ten minutes, then light brush and buff):

...I know I hadn't given step by step, but I was just looking for suggestions on how I might get that toe even with the right one (above); apologies for my sketchy play-by-play!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics