1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

There's been an ongoing soap opera that I've enjoyed watching over the past 6 months.

There's been one hapless pair of black ostrich delrays in my size in Shoebank inventory forever. Every so often, when the outlets run a sale, it disappears. But eventually, the prodigal ostrich always wanders back.

I try to imagine someone in my unusual size looks at the inventory during a sale, and thinks, "hey, nows a good time to get my hands on an exotic for an affordable price! How bad could it be?"

And considering that the flaw must be bad enough to send it back EVERY SINGLE TIME, my mind always wonders what it could possibly be. The curiosity is building to a fever pitch. I'm pretty darn close to ordering it myself, just to see what's so damn wrong with the footwear. It might be worth the $10 just to satisfy the curiosity....

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
  2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

The Brooks Brothers version goes on sale fairly frequently:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Medallion-Perforated-Captoes/MH00025,default,pd.html

3. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

For those like me that miss the 0 last, there's a brand new walnut Bel Air in 10D for sale on the bay.

4. peppercorn78

Damn. Wife just caught me buffing the cordovan keyring that they gave us at the trunk show Thursday. I guess this proves that I have a problem.

Never gonna live this down.

1 person likes this.
  5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Nordstrum has included the walnut Strand at least the last two years in their Anniversary Sale in July-August. I got mine for $219 in 2012, which was about 1/3 off at the time.

If you might tolerate seconds, check the Shoebank. Otherwise, short term you might check larger deptment stores for their on Black Friday sales.

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Wait, they gave out key rings??? What color?

7. evolved

evolved Senior member

I've seen that ostrich delray floating around, lol. I assumed that they removed it during the online sales, only to put it back up at full 2nd price.

8. peppercorn78

At the 44th st store, they gave out tote bags with some conditioner cleaner, a shoehorn, bottled water (AE branded), AE mints, a flannel belt bag (??), and a cordovan keyring. Mine was color 8. They're super cheap though. Like 15$ I wouldn't stress.

9. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I must have missed out! I was pretty parched hoofing it from 55th street..could have used some water [​IMG]

I actually ordered an Alfred Sargent cordovan keyring for like 6 GBP a week ago. Got one in "dark cognac". Considered some AE ones as well.

10. Josh Savage

Josh Savage Senior member

Rocking the dark brown Strands today. Love these shoes. Look okay with gray?

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  11. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I like mine. [​IMG]

12. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

They look great. Nice pants.

13. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

^^^ I think this proves you have a problem.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the "defect" is that it's fugly. Looks like a damn cactus!

[​IMG]

Is that a euphemism for something? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

YES!...which is why im soo over the whole Bourbon, and Oxblood crazes...theyre beautiful shades, that lasted all of ONE polishing (bourbon)...i actually feel that these colors should come with an automatic $15 -$25 price drop...because what good is having these colors, if they turn into something different by the second polishing? The colors that just have toe burnishing are fine, because that burnishing can be easily replicated/restored eventually. But for the colors where the burnishing IS the color, im no longer as much of a fan unless, AE can instruct us on how to maintain the marbled burnish effect.

1 person likes this.
  15. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

16. vr4rider

vr4rider New Member

Hi, everyone. I'm new here, but I have been reading a lot about AE shoes. I'm glad I found this site.

My most recent purchase is a first quality AE strand in walnut. However, I would like your expertise about something.

Left shoe:
    There is a clear demarcation between the shades, which leads me to believe it's a result during the dying/polishing process...like drops of high pigmented polish sat too long or someone had polish on their finger and didn't realize touching the area too long.

Right shoe:
    The heel has an area where the polish looks "runny".

Both areas look worse in real life.

Do you guys think this should be considered second quality?

Thanks in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Jridgen

Jridgen New Member

Thanks to all for the responses.

Sounds like a sale at the actual AE site for the strands is rare to non existent, but happens occasionally at Nordstrom, I will keep my eyes out.

Also, it appears AE makes shoes for Brooks Brothers, I will watch that site as well.

18. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Dont know how other people do it, but i polished my bourbon moras with bourbon polish because, well, the bottle said Bourbon on it...i dont know if i, as a novice shoe buyer, was supposed to know all the tricks of the trade that cobblers and painters use to maintain burnishing, or if i was supposed know to stay away from bourbon shoe polish for my bourbon colored shoes, or what, but now that i know whatall is entailed in polishing the bourbons and oxbloods, id really rather just not even bother..too ignorant and lazy, i suppose...but such is life.

P.S. i too was distraught to learn that the oxblood was a mere slight of hand.

19. mdubs

Okay, to be more precise, AE does two sales a year, the Rediscover America in which 15% is the common discount. That takes place in Septemeber/October. Then they have their anniversary sale in which things are 19.22% off. That is around the April timeframe.

Nordstrom does sales twice a year, I can never remember the time frame for them. I think one is July, so theoretically, their other should be coming up. Pretty sure the Walnut Calf Strands are typically included in that sale. As our other friend mentioned, Brooks does occasional discounts including their Corporate discounts (30% off for corporate members).

Hope that helps your decision making process. The Walnut Strand is an impeccable shoe!

-Mike

20. mdubs

Thanks Polo! I don't feel too bad. I have been trying to trim down my pocket possessions, so that doesn't frankly serve a purpose, so I wouldn't carry it along with me. I recently bought an Alden Color 8 Keyring Horn, but haven't added to my key chain. I need to filter my keys down first... Happy Sunday!

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.