1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

For the loafers, I'm either the same size or down 1 width. Agree with getting sized in store. Narrow heels help prevent gapping and heel slip. Shoe horn is a must for new, properly fitted loafers.

2. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

Thanks. When you say down one width, I presume you mean going wider?

3. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Congrats on the upcoming wedding. Weather here has been beautiful lately - should be a lovely affair. My 20ish wed anniversary was yesterday. Fall weddings around these parts are nice!

For an outdoor wedding, either shoe choice works very well.

4. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

Narrower

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

65 last I am a 12e(blucher) 12eee(bal) and my shell Randolph I am 13D which fits a touch snug but there is zero heel slippage or bowing around the ankles. No experience with the Patriot however the SA at the AE store said it the loafer most people find that fits best with no heel slipping...

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Interesting...my first instinct was to just say regular leather however on inspection it feels like it is a thicker leather insole...still leather...so I checked my old Mapleton and it has the same so I looked the Mapleton up AE site and it says this "
    • Premium leather upper with leather lining and leather wrapped foam comfort insole

Now the Wilbert on AE site specifically says PORON

Even with the foam wrapped leather my Long Branch still fits looser than my Dalton and I wear boot socks with my LB.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

My Long Branch has a Poron insole.

I believe it's the standard makeup.

8. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thank you gentlemen! If that's the case then I believe the fit will be very similar to my Carson City which is just that LB on a harrier sole. I think going up a size would still work. I'm getting those LB seconds Enabled!!!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  9. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Yes & yes = +2

No & no = -2 (with all respect)

It's not really your day; it's hers and everyone else's. You do not want to draw attention to yourself beyond looking as good as possible beside her. No one will notice a modest gap in the laces of your PAs. Under direct sunlight, they will notice brown fashion-forward shoes; some might think "nice shoes" but others will wonder why they're looking at the groom's feet.

10. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

11. peppercorn78

Sorry Dale, didn't you mean that the Carson City is a Dalton? Not a Long Branch, surely?

I believe the pattern of the Long Branch was designed to fit more loosely than the Daltons to accommodate heartier socks.

12. peppercorn78

No, a chukka wouldn't be a wedding shoe, especially in shell, which is considered a more casual material.

I know you've said that it's an outdoor, afternoon affair, but the black Park Ave is the quintessential wedding/funeral/interview/event shoe. It's no nonsense and classy.

And if your fiancée is wearing anything even remotely traditional (basically anything long and white), the black stitch cap will be the way to go. I mean, you already own it, so why not let it do what it does best? :)

Save the money you were going to spend on the black Harrisons for the honeymoon.

And congrats on your big day!!!!

1 person likes this.
  13. peppercorn78

I wouldn't put too much stock in the web site descriptions. I don't think the exact terminology for components is consistent throughout all models.

14. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Csmitty, why don't you just overnight those burgundy shell Dundees to me and that way you won't be tempted to wear them to the wedding. No charge.

And wear the black PA's. This is why you have them.

Best of luck!

15. peppercorn78

So apparently my aggressive heel hair has killed the lining on the heel of my Long Branches.

Anyone here have trusted cobblers in NYC that will do such a job? (And hopefully not take more than a week or two)
    [​IMG]

16. Kingston83

Kingston83 Active Member

Quote:That would make sense for running shoes. They tend to run big because they have to incorporate a rather large insole, so that size 13 is sans insole.

17. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I've sent several pairs to Nick V. at B. Nelson for work and always had very good results. I'm 800 miles from NYC, but have had no issues shipping back and forth.

18. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

These responses are interesting - I feel like I can determine the responders approximate age by their opinion on the wedding shoes. Timeless classics are indeed timeless.

One other thing that most younger folks don't consider - when you look at your important photos 20 years from now, will you regret any of the wardrobe decisions you made?

19. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

In my opinion (I'm in my mid 20s) there are only a few options and colors that are appropriate for a wedding:

Evening wedding: Black captoe, punch cap, adelaide, or plain toe.

Daytime:Black, brown or burgundy captoe, punch cap, adelaide or plain toe.

I don't think @csmitty is wrong with either the Park Ave or brown Harrison depending on the time of day. I don't think the Harrisons are fashion forward and no one will be distracted by a pair of brown cap toe . my only concern is that against a dark charcoal, brown can look like a mismatch.

FWIW, I plan on getting myself a pair of Alfred Sargent Moores in black when I get married sometime down the line. Currently I'm just trying to buy a diamond!

20. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I fully agree. I got married in a church in the evening in black tassel loafers. That won't happen the next time I get married!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.