• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my "dark brown" Dundee's arrived today. They seem nice, but are currently really quite purple (see the poor quality photo below). Will this color fade, or is there a way for me to bring out more of the brown shade? This is my 1st pair of AE cordovan and I just want to get an idea of what to expect.

You may have to get a picture in sunlight or other lighting to show this "purple".
It is really hard to notice in the pic you show.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe a silly question; but is there any chance they've shipped you Burgundy instead?

This thought went through my mind. The box is marked "brown crdvn" and the interior shoe is numbered 3621. It's a little tricky to determine at the moment - the sides look dark brown(ish) but the toe-box definitely looks more burgundy(ish). Overall they do appear quite burgundy. It seems that they're a range of colors that only true sunlight will reveal.

jembo

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. I tend to agree and decided on the PAs. Just ordered the Brooks Bros. version (seconds) on sale for $149. Very happy with that deal, and looking forward to wearing them for some upcoming job interviews.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Are all the Brooks 2nds $150 each? I saw a few on the list last week at $199 that I wanted, but was hoping they'd be on sale for around $150 soon; will definitely have to place an order if that's the case

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my "dark brown" Dundee's arrived today. They seem nice, but are currently really quite purple (see the poor quality photo below). Will this color fade, or is there a way for me to bring out more of the brown shade? This is my 1st pair of AE cordovan and I just want to get an idea of what to expect.

I have had the exact same experience and in fact posted about it here maybe a week or so ago. (Don't worry - you're not held responsible for knowing everything that has happened on this thread!) It's a remarkable color and in certain light does indeed look more burgundy than even burgundy does. It's especially easy for me to see because not only do I have the burgundy, but also I have the truffle aka cappuccino (which is much more of a "true" brown IMO). Because of the color's depth and complexity, the dark brown may ultimately become my favorite of the three.

Mac method them every chance you get, watch them develop a one-of-a-kind patina, and look forward to their garnering you compliments every time you wear them (in good health!).

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Those look like burgundy shell to me.

These are my brown Dundees

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Are all the Brooks 2nds $150 each? I saw a few on the list last week at $199 that I wanted, but was hoping they'd be on sale for around $150 soon; will definitely have to place an order if that's the case

I think so. The list they gave me shows the Brooks shoes all as "closeout" for $199, but the current sale brings them down to $149.

BL70

Reaction score

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and to the world of AE shoes. After much research I took the plunge and ordered my first pair, black calf Harrisons from Amazon. They were sharply discounted (36%) so I was concerned about their condition. I found some flaws but not sure if I'm being overly critical. Most noticeable is a small tan line at the cap stitching (pic). Is this a concern or will it disappear after one Polish?

EEWithoutStyle

Reaction score

In the process as we speak. Spoke with Allison on the phone yesterday about it. 

Please let me know how you plan on making them up. I'm thinking about doing those in MTO instead of seeing if the eagle county is still available.

TaperedGent

Reaction score
I didn't ask about the Eagle County, but mine are going to be very similar to the black version of the Wolverine 1000 mile boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics