• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I stand by my contention that people generally apply too much polish to their shoes. I come across a lot of old shoes (in thrift shops) with caked on polish. Ruined. The worst are the brogued shoes with holes completely filled in. I don't use that wax Kiwi polish anymore. That's the worst culprit. If anything, I use cream polishes that, I think, condition as they shine. And, I will usually apply it when my shoes have some scuffs that need to be covered up. I also think that applying conditioner helps lessen those microcreases that people have been complaining about recently.

In addition, contrary to my screen name, I don't believe that shoes should have a high military-mirror like shine. That's show-offy for businesswear, IMHO.

I'm not saying that people should cake it on, but I condition and polish. Moderation is the key.

kentyman

Reaction score
On a related note, Leather Honey for the win!

I'm curious, what did you use Leather Honey on? I used them on an ex-girlfriend's boots and (as expected) it significantly darkened them. Any idea what the "active" ingredients are in it?

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great makeup. I asked Allison for a sample of AE navy leathers for a possible navy MTO as well.

Thanks! I hope it does come out great.

Sounds phenomenal.  I actually inquired with Allison about a pair of Graysons just this morning, so we'll see what she says.

Is the "fox stitching" something different than the moc toe?  Also, what is the "binding" area?  

I'm assuming it came in at $345?  

I requested for the moc toe and the stitching at the back to be tan so in guessing fox stitching is the stitch at the back. MWS would probably be the best person to give a reply on this.

I requested the top line piping/slip beading (again thanks to MWS) to be navy, so I think that's what binding means.

Yeah unfortunately full price. I justified it to myself by thinking that the MTO Eagle County at $197 offsets the full price of the MTO Grayson. Haha.

Last edited:

jch1

Reaction score
Thanks watch.

Sadly, Allison won't be at the event on Tuesday.

Last edited:

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score
Walnut Daltons
Neumok-brown
Neumok-navy
Jingle bell mok
Badlands in brown

all in the last month

ugh, i have a problem

997CTSurg

Alpha-M
Reaction score

You are right, you are missing a chukka.

Thank you my good man.
(My amex does not thank you.)

I have a pair of chukkas from them....will have to root around in the closet to find the model.
My bayfield's are getting a fair amount of wear.

I am lusting after the Shaker Heights in chili.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm curious, what did you use Leather Honey on? I used them on an ex-girlfriend's boots and (as expected) it significantly darkened them. Any idea what the "active" ingredients are in it?
I've used it mainly on shoes and boots (AE and other). I'm not sure what the active ingredients are, but I highly recommend it. It makes even dry leather boots feel as smooth and soft as can be. I let them sit through the night and wipe them a bit in the morning. I've never noticed any darkening. It's the best conditioner that I've tried.

green garden

Reaction score
Ordered a MTO pair of shell MacNeils thru Allison September 6th. They failed inspection once and I've heard nothing since. My emails to her now go unanswered. If you go MTO, be prepared to have some patience...
I have the same experience. Ordered a cappuccino Lexington on Aug 30. Failed inspection and was told they will be ready Nov 15. My emails are also not being answered now. I'm not sure what to make of it.

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the average wait time for a response from Allison on MTO projects? I sent her an email on Tuesday about a pair of MTO eagle county, and haven't heard back yet. I'm not in a rush by any means, I just want to know if she got the email. I want to be able to get a pair before the price increases.

SkepTiKalKloWn

Reaction score
I've sent an email to Allen Edmonds asking about them already, but does any know what the deal is with these Park Avenues? I found them at Nordstrom Rack and they fit great but have an all rubber sole. They also don't say "Park Avenue" inside the shoe which doesn't matter except I want to make sure they're the same level of quality as a regular Park Avenue, as I paid the same price for it as they charge for a standard pair with a leather sole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads