• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jch1

Reaction score
Great makeup. I asked Allison for a sample of AE navy leathers for a possible navy MTO as well.
I had a pair of navy suede strands MTO'd a few months ago using the old navy leather (versus the new leather which has a bright blue contrast as seen in the strandmoks). I love them.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
I have used these. but the adhesive did not keep them on for more than two months. The material itself does feel like it's made of a quality material.
I disagree. If you want shiny, i.e., mirror or high shine shoes, they won't come like that out of the box. Ironic given your screen name that you recommend not polishing.
Bingo.
$200 is a steal. I would definitely keep.
Agree with you.

Tah daaaah!!! Mirror shine, less cracks/lines on the toe...better. Gracias, SFers.
thumbs-up.gif

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thinking ahead for a wedding in June -- my wife is a bridesmaid, and the bride has specifically requested that I wear a seersucker suit... which I see as an excuse to buy appropriate footwear.

Nobody makes white bucks in my size.

I'm considering an MTO Leeds in the Player's shoe's white suede with the sole of their Doubleday loafer:

I'm limited to 1, 3, 5, or 7 lasts to get AA width. As long as I'm thinking MTO, does anybody have any thoughts for other models I might consider? Shelton saddle shoes, maybe?

White Spiaggias? They're on the 5 last.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Nice! The sole (appears to be Rendenbach) seems to say those are shell. No such thing as suede shell, is there?
Probably just the JR soles they had in stock at the time, pre-stamped with the Horween logo since I'm guessing that's probably where most of them end up?

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Probably just the JR soles they had in stock at the time, pre-stamped with the Horween logo since I'm guessing that's probably where most of them end up?

Exactly.

jch1

Reaction score
All of the above is correct regarding the soles. I'm hoping Allison is there so I can personally thank her, and I'll be sure to do so on behalf of the many, many people on SF who have dealt with her.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
White Spiaggias? They're on the 5 last.

I think he's looking for a traditional buck, not a wingtip.

You could also base your MTO white buck off of the Black Hills (5 last), which might actually be a little cheaper.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

I disagree. One, because using the AE conditioner only can leave the shoes a little hazy and in need of some polish.  Two, one of the reasons for polishing shoes is to protect them. I generally condition the shoes and then throw a quick coat of polish on once I'm sure I'm keeping them.

I disagree. If you want shiny, i.e., mirror or high shine shoes, they won't come like that out of the box. Ironic given your screen name that you recommend not polishing.

I stand by my contention that people generally apply too much polish to their shoes. I come across a lot of old shoes (in thrift shops) with caked on polish. Ruined. The worst are the brogued shoes with holes completely filled in. I don't use that wax Kiwi polish anymore. That's the worst culprit. If anything, I use cream polishes that, I think, condition as they shine. And, I will usually apply it when my shoes have some scuffs that need to be covered up. I also think that applying conditioner helps lessen those microcreases that people have been complaining about recently.

In addition, contrary to my screen name, I don't believe that shoes should have a high military-mirror like shine. That's show-offy for businesswear, IMHO.

optopi314

Reaction score
So the new Strands I have have messed up broguing. Some of the holes were not punched out properly and if you look under them, it is a light tan color. On the other side of the shoe from where the punches were messed up, the broguing is oblong. It seems like QC was out to lunch when these were made. It is in a visible location and even more visible when you cross your legs. I know that AE will more than likely accept the return, but I am being over picky? If I remove the messed up punches and put some polish in the holes, would that work (Is that what is normally done?) I don't want to leave the holes that tan color since they are bourbon strands and that is a good deal of contrast.

Thanks!

kentyman

Reaction score
So the new Strands I have have messed up broguing. Some of the holes were not punched out properly and if you look under them, it is a light tan color. On the other side of the shoe from where the punches were messed up, the broguing is oblong. It seems like QC was out to lunch when these were made. It is in a visible location and even more visible when you cross your legs. I know that AE will more than likely accept the return, but I am being over picky? If I remove the messed up punches and put some polish in the holes, would that work (Is that what is normally done?) I don't want to leave the holes that tan color since they are bourbon strands and that is a good deal of contrast.

Thanks!

kentyman

Reaction score
All of the above is correct regarding the soles. I'm hoping Allison is there so I can personally thank her, and I'll be sure to do so on behalf of the many, many people on SF who have dealt with her.

The question is: What shoes are you going to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics