1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linds_15

linds_15 Well-Known Member

awesome shot. this picture changed my view on the "plain" shoe.

2. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

My eyes may be failing me, but I don't see any perforations on the tip of the Cap Toe. Are you sure those aren't Park Avenues? -Mike

3. Roycru

Roycru Well-Known Member

Yes, you are correct. They are Park Avenues. At least I got the color right this time. A while back, I posted that they were Cognac. At least I didn't call them Vodka, which would have been even more wrong.

1 person likes this.
  4. watchidiot

watchidiot Well-Known Member

I have the chili grain BB MacNeils and these are turning out to be one of my favorite shoes. I now regret not getting the walnut grain MacNeils when they were available. Im really liking the look of AE's grain leather and I was wondering what other grain leather is available from AE. I saw there were a couple of golf shoes on grain print leather. Does anyone know what the difference is of these grain print leather (eg. weybridge golf shoes) vs just grain leather (eg. redan golf shoes)? I was of the impression that all grain leathers were printed anyway.

Was also wondering if these were corrected grain leather or not. Thanks in advance for any info.

5. cincikid

cincikid Well-Known Member

That's pretty easy to infer from your nick, Pepper [​IMG]

6. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

No shell with shorts, period, IMO. As for bluchers with shorts, suede and nubuck all the way; CXL, maybe.

I've never been able to figure out how to wear loafers. Aesthetically, tassels are OK, and a few days ago (Uncle) Mac showed off a pair of horsebits in the Alden thread that were the first pair of those that I ever liked. But, I really wouldn't know what to do with either style.

7. CrimmyS

CrimmyS Well-Known Member

So my shoes arrived but my shoe cleaning/shining/buffing stuff hasn't.

[​IMG]

Few questions

1) The leeds started cutting into the part right under my ankle immediately and rubbed off some skin. Will I need heel inserts or is this part of the breaking in process?

2) The strands feel tight and uncomfortable on my right foot but fine on my left. Specifically my little toe feels cramped even a couple hours after removing the shoes. Is this part of the breaking in process?

3) If the shoes are indeed too narrow but I continue to wear them, any long term problems that might arise on my right foot?

4) Is this something to be concerned about? The grain looks different and kind of grainy compared with the rest of the shoe. Is this cracking or just an imperfection?

[​IMG]

5) Will these go away once I shine/buff my shoes?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jch1

jch1 Well-Known Member

I've been itching to wear my grey suede Mora 2.0s, but I don't have a matching belt. Anybody have a lead on a grey suede belt?

9. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

What do you guys think about sizing down for Leeds? I am a 10.5D in the 5 last, but I saw a picture of 10.5C Leeds and they didnt seem as aggressively chunky and blobby as usual

10. NWTeal

NWTeal Well-Known Member

I wear a 8.5E in the 5 last and a 9D in the Leeds. I sized down a width, but probably needed the half size in length. Also, my shell leeds are pretty chunky/blobby looking to me, especially when I'm actually wearing them.

11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Well-Known Member

Embrace the blob! If you really can't abide it, there are other options out there.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  12. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

I am in between 8-8.5 on the brannock.

I wear an 8.5D in the Leeds and other 1 last shoes
    an 8D or 8E work best in the 5 Last

13. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Well-Known Member

Received my $99 Amok today:

[​IMG]

The only blemish I could see is a 1/2 inch blue pen mark on the inner part of the shoe where the upper meets the sole.

Too bad they no longer have them in snuff suede.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Well-Known Member

This. Folks who don't like American styled shoes shouldn't buy AE and Alden.

There's always Meermin.

15. Burzan

Burzan Well-Known Member

Great purchase!

I really missed the boat with the Amok, I should have never passed on them. A suede chukka would be perfect for my wardrobe.

16. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Well-Known Member

I picked up a new/firsts pair in Snuff Suede a year ago for $99.00. I love them - EXTREMELY comfortable!

17. lachyzee

lachyzee Well-Known Member

Do Amazon ever lower their prices to match the Nordstrom Anniversary sale? They have much better shipping rates to Aus.

18. BL70

BL70 Well-Known Member

I would doubt it. From what I've seen amazon pricing on AE follow no rhyme or reason. Sometimes you can find a great deal if you are lucky with timing and sizing.

19. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new and first pair of shell, they have faded to a beautiful color.

This X2, Leeds are not blobby they are normal IMO. The Leeds can be used as a direct substitute for the dress shoe worn by the US Military. I don't believe you can get any more American than that.

20. mdubs

mdubs Well-Known Member

I just sold mine, they were beautiful and looked super comfy and light weight. Oh well, need to get the collection under control... It comes at a price...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.