Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

The response time is all over the place. Sometimes the same day.... sometimes never. The whole MTO thing seems to work great for some and others of us have been waiting since August and don't get our inquiries answered. It's a pretty broken system.

2. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I've been quite fortunate as I receive email replies from Allison almost the following day. Only time that I haven't gotten a next day reply was when she had to wait feedback from production and/or warehouse to answer some questions I had.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  3. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

They won't give out the ingredients, but claim it is "free of animal products, silicone [sic], and solvents". I wonder if it's neatsfoot oil based? Actually, scratch that, they seem to be very against neatsfoot.

4. optopi314

optopi314 Member

How does Leather Honey fair over AE's leather conditioner?

5. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

My MTOs came today.

[​IMG]

Brown Burnished Calf Strand, no toe medallion, combination tap sole.

6. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Awesome, congrats!
    Best of luck with them.
    I'll be interested to see them in the wild after a few wears.

7. Roycru

Roycru Senior member

Your shoes appear to have both rubber soles and Poiron insoles, two things that Allen Edmonds charges extra for. If anything, you probably got an exceptional value at Nordstrom Rack.

8. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

Anybody know if the leather used on the Dark Navy Jingle Bell Moc's is the same as that of the blue Numok? I love this new webgem, but I'm not completely on board with the contrast white stitching on the upper (love it on the welt, though). Might have to go down the MTO route to get what I want.

9. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

It's very different. Leather Honey has something in it that darkens leather, and without knowing I personally wouldn't use it on my shoes unless I specifically wanted to darken them. I've used it on belts though and it makes them very supple. I plan on doing my 10 year old leather couches, too, but that's a bigger job.

10. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I feel the same as what cincikid says. I own Bayfields, 744, RW Beckman, and Krause (along with several others).

[​IMG]

And for me the Bayfield wins. Enough that I own 3 pairs of them. L-R CXL, black calf, cappuccino shell MTO.
    [​IMG]

The RW Beckman featherstone leather as you know takes awhile to break in however it eventually becomes soft as butter. And my heel still slips in mine too. I really would like to get a pair of RW Ice Cutter boots but they are also on the RW 8 last so I keep backing off. I love the RW Beckmans but the fit is less optimal for my foot. The Wolverine 744 is one of my favorite boots for wear that doesn't call for a dress boot.

I am a 10D on the AE 1 and 5 last and 9.5D in the RW Beckman. The poron insole on the Bayfields changes the fit for my foot a bit too much. I owned a pair in black calf and CXL in 10D for over a year and at the end of the day I looked forward to taking them off. AE bought them back from me for what I paid for them, they suggested it I didn't ask and got them at a great price when I purchased them but in the end fit is #1, to me at least. She had me try a 10E which had too much heel slip and a 10.5D. The 10.5D fit me very well with the poron insoles. The black calf creased perfectly in 10.5D however the CXL in 10.5D are starting to get creases in the toebox area. When I had the cappuccino ones made I went 10D with no poron insole and the mini-lug on the sole but standard heel. They are just about perfect. Good luck, a man can never have too many boots!

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

ColdIron! God's honest truth, I was formulating a PM to you to check on your whereabouts when I noticed you had posted.

Where, oh where have you been, old friend?

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

+1. Welcome back, Cold Iron!

14. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

He lives! Welcome back.

15. SkepTiKalKloWn

SkepTiKalKloWn New Member

So I guess it's the Clare rubber sole, which was discontinued. My main concern was that the upper be the same, which apparently is the case. Not bad for $200.

If anyone is in the Seattle area, the Nordstrom Rack downtown seems to have gotten a bunch of mainline Allen Edmonds (Park Avenues, Strands, McAllisters, ect.), all for $200 or less. I spent about 10 minutes walking around in D width walnut Strands trying to convince myself they'd fit once they broke in cause they looked so good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.