• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Do you think a Dalton boot in cappuccino with a chili welt and light brown edge dressing is possible and would look good? Or do you think the Dalton is better suited to walnut?

I think the Dalton would look great in cappuccino. If AE had a boot that I liked, I would have ordered a boot in cappuccino as well. I think it is a great shade.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is Alden's cigar color more similar to AE brown or cappuccino?

To me the answer is neither. What makes cigar unique, at least to me, is the olive undertones which neither if these have. But if I were to have to choose one it would be dark brown

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Do you think a Dalton boot in cappuccino with a chili welt and light brown edge dressing is possible and would look good? Or do you think the Dalton is better suited to walnut?

Dalton is a great boot and would look good in any color

cincikid

Reaction score
To me the answer is neither. What makes cigar unique, at least to me, is the olive undertones which neither if these have. But if I were to have to choose one it would be dark brown

Thanks, rydenfan. I am thinking of the Leeds MTO, similar to the Alden PTB make-up for Frans Boone. Would you say these are more similar to AE dark brown?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, rydenfan. I am thinking of the Leeds MTO, similar to the Alden PTB make-up for Frans Boone. Would you say these are more similar to AE dark brown?

Yes. I am considering that exact same makeup and would do it in dark brown. I am back and forth between it exactly like that or a bit more traditional like this plain toe

jogurt

Reaction score

Oooh! Get them like those ones. Those are gorgeous -- a bit of style, but not the clown shoes so many seem to favor.

ryansto

Reaction score
With regard to other options in a black cap toe: The Harrison from AE is a great alternative for guys who don't like the short, round cap on the Park Ave. While I don't own this style, I do have one Independence Collection shoe, and it feels amazing!

aldenfan

Reaction score
Yes. I am considering that exact same makeup and would do it in dark brown. I am back and forth between it exactly like that or a bit more traditional like this plain toe

Both of those are beautiful. Is the one on the right the leeds in dark brown cordovan? What is the one on the left?

cincikid

Reaction score

I don't like the shape of this particular shoe that much (not the Strand obviously!) but it might be an awkward angle of a shot. I think I'd stick to the Leeds.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's probably moot -- Allen Edmonds is out of walnut shell and rapidly running out (if not already out) of cappuccino shell. The last few pages seem to suggest they are no longer interested in providing shell colors outside of brown, black, and burgundy.

If you want a Dalton in either of those colors, I hope it's the cappuccino and you might want to call immediately.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I was only referring to the makeup: matched eyelets and dark brown edge trim. as opposed to chili and brass eyelets

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both of those are beautiful. Is the one on the right the leeds in dark brown cordovan? What is the one on the left?

left is an AE strand and I am not sure about the plain toe. I really like the makeup itself though

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my #8 gunboats. They are gorgeous, exactly the kind of defects you want to see in shells: slightly messed up perfing that won't matter. Also, lots of nice variation in the shell itself, dark marks all over. Since I'm going to beat up any of my shoes, that's perfect.

Dropped them straight off at the cobbler after checking the fit. I got these knowing that I was going to want the edges changed to a natural/antique finish. Cobbler said that the way I wear my shoes, that's a good idea, since the black edging is going to look bad as I kick the **** out of them. He actually really likes that I buy quality shoes and then actually wear them as shoes.

That said, he insisted that he won't use the machine to sand it because apparently the heel is hand-carved on these. He showed me where the knife marks were, and said that if he used the machine, too much of the artwork would be lost and he refused to do that. He also said that it was a shame that they had someone do that by hand and then covered it up with black. Anyway, usually he tries to talk me out of my crazy requests, but this time he said that if I'm not wearing this with a suit, black edging is a terrible color. But worth it at the discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads