1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

Why am I having this issue with my new Daltons? This is the second pair to do this. One polish, 2 coats, after initial conditioning. They're cracking around the medallions. Wore them one time. Old dried out leather upon purchase? My polishing skills suck? Any suggestions? I compared it to my new strands, because I conditioned and polished them together.

This was how they looked at the start (2nd pair)
    [​IMG]
    This is after conditioning and polishing... AE products only.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The strand after polishing the same morning...no sweat.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ...and first pair. Retched. 3 wears, one condition and polish. Right toe...
    [​IMG]
    ...and left. Not nearly as bad.
    [​IMG]
    Is this what's to come for my 2nd pair?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

That happens to the toe box of my regent streets too. But I've had them for a while. Doesn't really bother me.

3. fourspin

fourspin Well-Known Member

lol, I love puns.

4. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Has anyone actually processed their Eagle County MTO order with Allison yet? I asked her a followup question yesterday morning and have not heard back yet...

5. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

This is what it is for me. I find the 333 last to be too trendy. Going with a classic shape you can get more years out of your shoes and I feel that you can get more range with them (casual to dressy), whereas a chiseled last may be harder to wear down. I used to like pointier toe boxes, but I think I have grown out of that now.
    Black loafers seems like an oxymoron to me. I think you are fine with what you have now.
    Have you tried removing the polish to see if it is your polishing skills?

6. njruss

njruss Senior member

>

7. njruss

njruss Senior member

[​IMG]

The Jingle Bell Mok in navy. I didn't realize that they came with glitzy silver laces. Those will have to go.

8. njruss

njruss Senior member

[​IMG]

There to greet a workin man when his day is done....

9. evolved

evolved Senior member

Has anyone done a more casual leathered Kenilworth? I had a thought of a brown CXL Kenilworth, a more natural welt and maybe a double butyl sole. Just wondering if anyone else had a visual....

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Wow everyone is receiving their shoes. Wonder when I'll get my Black Friday order here in Canada!!

11. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

I ordered mine on Thursday night at around 10pm, and it arrived on Monday morning. Order of 4 shoes. Not sure what the hold up is on your order.

12. njruss

njruss Senior member

Ordered a pair of tan Finch on the $99 closeout sale. They arrived yesterday and I must say they were easily the worst of the seconds I have received. Multiple issues, far beyond what their reputation for seconds is. I emailed them today and they already have another pair waiting for me that has been checked and never even tried on yet and I got a return label within minutes. Jill at Jeffersonville really helped me out fast! All of the ladies at that store have been fantastic, especially considering that I ask a lot of novice questions!

13. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

The 3 last is odd; it's chiseled but lacks any toe puff or waist, making it look simply like an imitation of English chisel toe lasts. I used to like stuff like EGs 888 or GG TG73, but find them too square for my tastes now, and prefer soft squares and almond toes.

14. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

Received my Black Friday closeouts yesterday and today.

I got a pair of tan Aberdeens. The color is somewhat inconsistent and splotchy, but that's to be expected with seconds and with the dublin leather. I applied some darker brown polish and it helped to even them out so they look like they have a nice patina.

I also got a pair of chestnut Lubbocks. There is some slight scarring on one, but nothing too noticeable, and nothing that wouldn't have happened after two or three wearings.

(I also got a pair of black Kenilworths - first - that look lovely. I'm breaking them in as we speak.)

Most importantly, they all fit great.

15. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Jeffersonville store or the Shoe Bank? Hope mine is there when I go home tonight then or comes tomorrow!!

16. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

I ask a lot of small questions to them as well and I agree they're pretty good!

Interesting as I ordered the tan Aberdeens as well. Thanks for the tip...I will also just use the brown polish on them before wearing.

17. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I just ordered a very casual Leeds. Neumok leather, unlined, on a double butyl sole, with split reverse welt

18. xcvdx

xcvdx New Member

Chili is definitely tanned in color. As TheSizzle said, they will add burnishing to some chili models, but the calfskin is tanned in that reddish/brown hue from the tannery.

To my knowledge, the current Bourbon line is the only example of AE taking one color and turning it into another by this method. Even their original Bourbon shoes that they used to make a few years ago were a true tannage.[​IMG]

19. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Jville

20. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Anyone out there use heel pads and if so which ones? One foot always gets heel slip because my feet are different sizes. I stuck a tongue pad in the heel of one shoe just to try it and it helped a lot but I'd have to trim it to fit and not sure if the adhesive would hold. Any recommendations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.