• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tietherope

Reaction score
I own:
  • Strand Walnut
  • McAllister Merlot
  • Elgin Tan
  • Neumok Snuff Suede
  • Malvern Brogue Suede

The next option is between:
  • BB Strand Brown at $159
  • McTavish Dark Brown Cognac at $187

Or I save some money for once. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

tietherope

Reaction score
I see a Strand in Chili on the seconds list i received, first time I've noticed it. So if you missed the webgem it's worth checking the seconds list now.

David Copeland

Reaction score
I simply can't agree with this. All of the shoes that end up at Nordstrom have made it past AE's QA/QC department. They are all considered firsts.
Not sure about all stock in all stores, as some sales associates (perhaps not managers) will place a customer return back into the store's inventory to be shipped on a mail or phone order. We have seen members here mention that some shipments from the stores appeared for be less than a brand new out-of-the box look. For this reason alone, I only deal with one (1) manager who personally takes upon himself to either inspect it by a inner-store transfer of the item to his attention or to drop ship from AE.

When the store manager orders a shoe to be sent from a remote location (Nordstrom warehouse or directly from AE), he isn't looking at them personally. You can't say that the shoe that somehow gets shipped to someone when the manager hits the "order" button will be better than the one that gets shipped when the customer or some other sales associate hits the "order" button.
What I am saying is . . . the manager that I work with exclusively with will go the extra mile and have another store ship the item to his store for his inspection, before mailing it to me. Without that "understanding", yes - any manager in any store could hit the order button and have a store item drop shipped without his personal inspection.

If the shoe is being pulled from the back room of a specific store, where the local manager may be able to compare more than one pair and offer you the most pristine one, then dealing with a manager may be of some benefit. Even then, you are dealing with a subjective opinion of which pair looks better.
I agree. Moreover, when I was first introduced to the manager I work with now - he took the time to ask questions about what my preferences were, my likes and dislikes, my previous customer service. That said, including my request that he personally inspect anything that was not going to be shipped directly from AE - has all went well.

If the entire transaction is done electronically, and the shoes are sent from a remote location, there is absolutely no way to say that people will get a pair of shoes that doesn't have a subjective flaw.
I agree.

When buying some great firsts from www.6pm.com or www.zappos.com - it is sight unseen. Even though they offer free return shipping, it can be a costly time waster. But if I am working with a Nordstrom Manager who is willing to price match firsts at www.6pm.com - then I believe he will carry the water bucket for me in personally inspecting a store item or just ordering directly from AE.

Thanks for your comment,

David

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see a Strand in Chili on the seconds list i received, first time I've noticed it. So if you missed the webgem it's worth checking the seconds list now. 

As I expected, not much good in my size. Should I just buy 2 pairs of neumoras? Brown and black?

Or can I just buy one pair for 125? I've asked the outlet that question but no one will answer it.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about all stock in all stores, as some sales associates (perhaps not managers) will place a customer return back into the store's inventory to be shipped on a mail or phone order. We have seen members here mention that some shipments from the stores appeared for be less than a brand new out-of-the box look. For this reason alone, I only deal with one (1) manager who personally takes upon himself to either inspect it by a inner-store transfer of the item to his attention or to drop ship from AE.

What I am saying is . . . the manager that I work with exclusively with will go the extra mile and have another store ship the item to his store for his inspection, before mailing it to me. Without that "understanding", yes - any manager in any store could hit the order button and have a store item drop shipped without his personal inspection.

I agree. Moreover, when I was first introduced to the manager I work with now - he took the time to ask questions about what my preferences were, my likes and dislikes, my previous customer service. That said, including my request that he personally inspect anything that was not going to be shipped directly from AE - has all went well.

I agree.

When buying some great firsts from www.6pm.com or www.zappos.com - it is sight unseen. Even though they offer free return shipping, it can be a costly time waster. But if I am working with a Nordstrom Manager who is willing to price match firsts at www.6pm.com - then I believe he will carry the water bucket for me in personally inspecting a store item or just ordering directly from AE.

Thanks for your comment,

David

Interesting. It sounds like this store manager is one of a kind (an outlier), and not fairly representative of the sample.

David Copeland

Reaction score
David that entire list of urs are close outs.
Closeouts or Seconds?

It may be, but it is the list I received when I asked the store to send me the items on sale.

Monica will not send a list today of items not on the sale list, regardless of them being current styles in SECONDS or closeouts in firsts or seconds.

The Long Branch was listed at AE's site several weeks ago as a CLOSEOUT and no more to be made. The live chat said so much. But the following week, the Long Branch was put back on the regular inventory as still being made - and in some areas has been marked as "Seasonal".

Who really knows? I don't. But if someone tells me that a style and size is in stock for a price I like - I order it.

Thanks for the comment,

David

David Copeland

Reaction score
Interesting. It sounds like this store manager is one of a kind (an outlier), and not fairly representative of the sample.
He is one of the best I have come across. Been in the shoe dept for nearly 15 years, college grad, and has even chuckled about how other stores have missed the mark in customer service.

When I order from AE, I try to get the rep to get someone to personally inspect the shoes before it goes thru AE shipping. Again, it's an extra step - but most reps will say yes to adding a second pair of eyes on what I expect before shipping.

By the way - what is your closest Nordstroms full department store? Perhaps the manager of mine knows your local manager and can provide a little more service for members from this forum (50+ members here have contacted the manager - all satisfied)

David Copeland

Reaction score
As I expected, not much good in my size. Should I just buy 2 pairs of neumoras? Brown and black?

Or can I just buy one pair for 125? I've asked the outlet that question but no one will answer it.
Call in your order for $125.00 and follow up by email. You have nothing to lose in assuming and asking directly.

It reminds me of my grocery store where cottage cheese is 10 for $10. When I take one to the checkout, it still rings up as a dollar.

bgp001

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to get a hold of the 8.5D/E closeout list? I emailed them and no response.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Ordered the Daltons through Nordstrom, called to price match the boot to the Amazon sale. I was told that they can't do it because they are different colors, burnished walnut vs walnut. Fairly disappointed by that.

I was luckily able to get a pair of Long Branch at $125 though, which is a steal.
Yes, the Long Branch at $125 is probably one of the best deals for years to come.

As for the price match, I suggest speaking only to a manager on the phone. They can over-ride store policy because they are the people who want to see sales volume at whatever skinny profits.

The manager I work with has helped over 50 forum members here with offers of additional styles and colors at remarkable 35% off deals.

If you need help, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads