1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

My number 1 complaint about the Independence collection as well.

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Distinguished Member

I think the issue I have with the IC is that better options become available at or near that price point. AE's regular line provides a great value for what they
    charge, particularly in the seconds market.

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

Has anyone found the McAllister to fit differently than the Strand? I've been breaking in my bourbon McAllisters with combination sole the past few nights at home and they seem to be substantially looser than my year old Strands.

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Yeah, you must be thinking of the Harrison (not my favorite either). The Jefferson is a balmoral wingtip (looks identical to the McAllister). I agree on the welt size, and to me it is most pronounced on the Rutledge. The wheeling combined with the size of the welt makes it look like a cemented sole with a bond-welt to me. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but it does stand out.

5. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

I just contacted AE to see if they would price match the Manistee belt which is on sale for $76.90 at Nordstrom's, but in Bourbon. No go for launch. They will price match, but only in the colors that are part of the sale.

6. tietherope

tietherope Senior Member

I've noticed the same thing and find that my toes are noticeably closer to the end of the shoe in my Strands.

7. msulinski

msulinski Distinguished Member

Quote:I had to put tongue pads in my McAllisters, and they are still a little loose. My Strands in the same size fit fine. Both are regular leather sole and leather insole. My Fifth Aves fit the same as my Strands, so the McAllister seems to be the outlier.

8. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

Good to know I'm not the only one. Mine are 8E. I will decide tonight whether 7.5E or 8D would be a better option for the exchange.

9. DHD28

DHD28 Senior Member

Just pulled the trigger on some Merlot McAllisters. Can't wait to get them.

My Walnut McAllisters fit me a lot better than my Strands in the same size (7.5 E). My Strands feel kind of tight throughout, especially near the big toe area.

10. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior Member

I have both and they seem to fit exactly the same as I would expect given that they are on the same last.

11. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

Well, that's fine, it's just my opinion. I'm a car guy, and I automatically draw similar analogies across car brands.

Lexus is in my opinion, a "no frills" car manufacturer. You're not paying for a brand name (because frankly, Lexus has never been and will never be an aspirational brand), what you're paying for is better build quality, better materials, and a higher standard of manufacturing compared to a POS like a Nissan or a Kia. This is also objective, not subjective. A Lexus is built better than a Nissan. But at the same time, you also expect a higher level of fit and finish in a Lexus compared to the Nissan, which Lexus delivers. Have you ever taken a close look at Lexus paint? It's beautiful. It is at lustrous as the finish on a hand-polished Bentley? No. But it's a darn bit nicer than any run of the mill Nissan or Toyota.

The shoes we consider high end, Vass, C&J, Lobb, etc, these are your Rolls Royce, Bentley, Maybach. Do I expect AE to be built to the same levels of quality as them? No, because I'm not paying anywhere near that much money. But do I expect flaws and defects that you would expect on run of the mill shoes either? No.

Again, just my opinion as a consumer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

12. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

I couldnt agree more. Going through this thread and seeing everyone talk about how they HAVE TO dress a certain way in their office, it's crazy! I don't think you will every find it in an employee manual where you have to dress in all black or grey and cant show any sign of personality.

Colored laces and more importantly colored socks are a great way to break up the boredom around you!

13. samadhi27

samadhi27 Senior Member

Given the relatively scarcity and expense of shell cordovan, I'm surprised there are so many reported incidents of "reject" shell shoes [​IMG]

14. random-adam

random-adam Distinguished Member

I got to thinking about your car analogy. One cannot legitimately make the following claim:

glued shoe : Nissan :: goodyear-welted shoe : Lexus

...rather, it would go something like this:

glued shoe : tuk-tuk :: goodyear-welted shoe : any auto that has passed modern 1st-world emissions and safety standards

15. bgp001

bgp001 Well-Known Member

I've sat in a Nissan. I stick by my analogy. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.