• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of black Fifth Streets...I fell in love with the dress-boot thing the moment I saw them.

crosswound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i take a d width on all my alden barrie last shoes was i right on going with eee width for park avenue's? anyhow i'll find out when my 3 pairs of new first quality allen edmonds arrive this thursday :slayer:

i went with park avenue, strand, and mcallister per suggestions

Last edited:

jbcohen

Reaction score
There are also people like myself who were wearing low end stuff and did not know the difference.

maxmaxmaxmax

Reaction score

Trying to justify getting some strands in bourbon.  Do most think this can be a solid dark brown dress shoe choice in banking?

I work in a big Canadian bank and the bourbon strand is in my rotation. Having said that, 90% of the men I see around the bank wear black shoes with blue suits daily.

Last edited:

jbcohen

Reaction score
Interesting, I work for the US Federal Government and most times you see men dressed in dark suites with black shoes. In fifteen years I have never seen anyone in anything but a dark suite and black shoes, although my Allen Edmonds will be a break from the common dress standards, they are tan not black.

Everywhere I go here in cyber space the men are always chattering on and on about Allen Edmonds shoes. Wonder if I am seeing a trend?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I work for the US Federal Government and most times you see men dressed in dark suites with black shoes. In fifteen years I have never seen anyone in anything but a dark suite and black shoes, although my Allen Edmonds will be a break from the common dress standards, they are tan not black.

Everywhere I go here in cyber space the men are always chattering on and on about Allen Edmonds shoes. Wonder if I am seeing a trend?
lol...You have to understand that the most frequent posters on SF get all dressed up just so that they can take pictures and feel like they're living the SF life. They look like cartoon characters on the streets. Dark suits and black shoes are the standard almost everywhere.

As far as AE's go, they're a great shoe for the price that you pay. They offer a lot of variety, and the customer service is above average. That's a big reason for why they're so popular.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lol...You have to understand that the most frequent posters on SF get all dressed up just so that they can take pictures and feel like they're living the SF life. They look like cartoon characters on the streets. Dark suits are the standard almost everywhere.

As far as AE's go, they're a great shoe for the price that you pay. They offer a lot of variety, and the customer service is above average. That's a big reason for why they're so popular.

FWIW I think this is a ridiculous statement. I dress casually and wear nice shoes on a daily basis. Furthermore I can assure you I never wear a pair of shoes to live the "SF life"

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW I think this is a ridiculous statement. I dress casually and wear nice shoes on a daily basis. Furthermore I can assure you I never wear a pair of shoes to live the "SF life"
I don't mean the shoes guys. I mean the dressed up guys. (see comment above)

Last edited:

hollyb

Reaction score

I work in a big Canadian bank and the bourbon strand is in my rotation. Having said that, 90% of the men I see around the bank wear black shoes with blue suits daily.
I too work in a financial institution and I think people wear (eg. blue suits and black shoes) for any number of reasons

Same here. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in the banking industry being sent home because their clothing is too boring or too stylish... showing too much skin, that's another story.

Last edited:

g-banger

Reaction score

Just ordered a pair of black Fifth Streets...I fell in love with the dress-boot thing the moment I saw them.

Out of curiosity - are you planning on wearing these casually and for work too?

im on the fence at the moment on a pair of dark brown fifth streets for work and to wear with jeans.
cheers

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here own Strand in dark brown and would care to share the pics with trousers/jeans ?

This was probably beaten to death, but what would be most suitable color of strand to go with really dark jeans? I mostly looking at a shoe for buisness casual jeans+sportcoat. Besides that my go to suit is Navy(but i don't wear it often) and I have pair of khakis.. so cognac/darkbrown/walnut?
Or maybe if it's a bad idea suggest an other shoe style for jeans+sportcoat look.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I used to work for the federal gov't, and most of what I saw was sneakers, dirty jeans, and t-shirts. That might be because I was a programmer for the gov't...
laugh.gif

This reminds me of a story my uncle told me about interviewing for civilian work at a military base. He was straight out of college, and, naturally, wore a standard dark suit for the interview. While on the base, he noticed everybody was being really nice to him...opening doors, being super-polite, &c. He asked his interviewer about it, and it seems that the only people they normally saw on base in dark suits were FBI.
laugh.gif

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you live near an Allen Edmonds store? There are quite a few of them. Nordstrom's can fit you as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads