• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bzack

Reaction score
I love to hate the #2 last.
Is it the #2 last or just the fact that there is less room for sizing errors on loafers. I really wanted those Presidio's to fit. I guess I'm onto to a different model. Ugh.

jmon22

Reaction score
Consider that you may have too high of an instep for the Patriot loafer and that it may never be comfortable for you. It fits me great, but I get too much heel slippage in most loafers. The Randolph might make more sense for you.
I have also considered that. Any idea how many wears I should give them before I make that decision?

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score

There is a big difference.  Did I miss where you may have stated what shoes you are going to use it on?  The chili edge dressing just has a nice gloss with a slightly reddish brown hue and it is translucent.  On walnut shoes I find that it complements very well.  It doesn't completely cover up the leather grain on the sole and heel edge, where I have found that the brown does.  I think the chili gives more of a lacquered appearance that you may see on a fine wood.

Thought I'd give a pictorial on the Chili edge dressing on the Walnut 5th Ave. from a recent post in case you missed it.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, why would you recommend a shell cordovan shoe to someone seeking their first pair of quality dress shoes?
From personal experience - getting started in the right direction with fewer regrets.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Thought I'd give a pictorial on the Chili edge dressing on the Walnut 5th Ave. from a recent post in case you missed it.

Did you covert from using a previous Edge Color to the Chili? If so, how did you prepare the leather when switching Edge colors?

carlos20co

Reaction score
I wore my Mcallister shoes for the first time today and they are very comfortable in general, but I noticed that the insole is no completely flat and that in the part of ball of my foot has a little bump which I think it's there to acommodate the shape of the foot which is great because my left shoe fits perfectly, not so my right one. My right foot is slimmer than the right one so that bump doesn't acommodate the way it should. Nothing serious though

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
I wore my Mcallister shoes for the first time today and they are very comfortable in general, but I noticed that the insole is no completely flat and that in the part of ball of my foot has a little bump which I think it's there to acommodate the shape of the foot which is great because my left shoe fits perfectly, not so my right one. My right foot is slimmer than the right one so that bump doesn't acommodate the way it should. Nothing serious though

My Kenilworths are built on the same #5 last as your McAllisters and also have the weird bump. It seems to occur mostly in shoes employing that last. I can tell you it does go down over time.

Subutai

Reaction score

Wore my Patriots for the first time today and they put a hurting on my feet.  Vamp tightness like some of the negative reviews mentioned. The goal was to get them snug and let them break in to a perfect fit, otherwise the worry was they would be too loose after break in.  I'm just hoping it happens quick because today was rough.  I sprayed with water and tried to stretch a bit as some mentioned.  Any other comments or suggestions?  

Meltonian shoe stretch spray. Unless you got them from Nordstroms in which case simply exchange!

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it the #2 last or just the fact that there is less room for sizing errors on loafers. I really wanted those Presidio's to fit. I guess I'm onto to a different model. Ugh.

The #2 last is remarkably narrow. I would say more the last. Sorry, does AE make #2 lasted loafer? The Carlsbad?

David Copeland

Reaction score
I got a partial answer to this elsewhere - but think this would be a good question to all here:

Please look at the following video and tell me what tool is being used to polish (or clean) the tiny leather indents in the Brogue pattern of the shoe toe. Also, what Saphir Product or color are they using to reflect a contrast?

The process where he is using what appears to be a smaller-than-normal cotton swab to get into the tiny Brogue holes - is about 43 seconds into the video.

The photo looks like this:

Some of my Walnut Calfs in similar color now have the Brogue filled with the light brown polish (which I don't think is proper) - and if I use a Q-Tip small enough to poke into the tiny leather holes - what should I do, if anything, about the earlier polish inside them? Saphir Renevatour?

David

Last edited:

jmon22

Reaction score
My Kenilworths are built on the same #5 last as your McAllisters and also have the weird bump. It seems to occur mostly in shoes employing that last. I can tell you it does go down over time.

I noticed this in a few of the Delrays that I tried on. Tried a few on until I found a pair that didn't have it.

Cabana Boy

Reaction score
I fit well into a Strand in 9.5D (5-65 last). Can someone tell me if I would fit into the same size in a Broadstreet in the 3 last?

Fabian43

Reaction score
Because of your guys input I decided to pick them up. I paid $105 shipped to my house. Good deal? If they don't fit right I'm gonna flip them here.
y8u8a6ur.jpg
ytyqy6ez.jpg

So I've decided to flip these black McTavish's. Just stopped by my local Nordstrom and tried on a 9.5D and sure enough they fit me perfect. These 10D are a little long particularly in my heel. Anyone interested in taking these off my hands? Only looking to get back what I paid from ebay which is $105 + actual shipping. Not looking to make any money in the deal. If you want more detailed pics email me [email protected]

Fabian43

Reaction score
side note I'm now worried about my incoming order of shoes from the J'ville outlet. I ordered pairs of Amok's, LaSalle, Long Branch, and Yuma all in 10D. While at Nordstrom a few minutes ago I actually fit into a 9E LaSalle. Looks like I'll be doing some exchanging, frustrating.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I got a partial answer to this elsewhere - but think this would be a good question to all here: Please look at the following video and tell me what tool is being used to polish (or clean) the tiny leather indents in the Baroque pattern of the shoe toe. Also, what Saphir Product or color are they using to reflect a contrast? The process where he is using what appears to be a smaller-than-normal cotton swab to get into the tiny Baroque holes - is about 43 seconds into the video. The photo looks like this: Some of my Walnut Calfs in similar color now have the Baroque filled with the light brown polish (which I don't think is proper) - and if I use a Q-Tip small enough to poke into the tiny leather holes - what should I do, if anything, about the earlier polish inside them? Saphir Renevatour? David
http://i.word.com/idictionary/broguing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads