Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wohwoh

wohwoh Well-Known Member

Three questions if you don't mind answering...

1. Is there a general rule on how bluchers should fit on your feet? I know for balmorals the gap should be around 1/4" when using the straight bar lacing method if the shoes are new.

2. Would the Delray look weird on a person who is very young? I'm talking about 20 years old.

3. Would the Delray be more versatile in Chili or Brown?

2. Sarpedon

Sarpedon Member

Thanks! I had more than a few strange looks, standing in the middle of the street taking pictures of my shoes :)

I've been using the brown AE edge dressing, in the travel container, which the SA at the San Francisco AE store recommended when I bought them last year. That matches up with the recommendation in http://content.allenedmonds.com/pdf/ShoeCareReference.pdf. The left shoe (photograph-right) looks a little scruffy because I think I roll that foot forward a bit, so the edge at the toe isn't as clean. I should consider toe taps, I suppose. It's less visible from a vantage point more than 2 inches above the pavement, though!

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    May I assume you were fitted by AUDREY SHOES FOR MEN, at Brabantdam 36, Gent, B-9000 ? If so, you may not be able to return or exchange your AE shoes - unless you wish to visit the Allen Edmonds store in Piedmont, Italy (a nice day's drive this time of year), and make a holiday out of it.

Better yet, once you pick up your Strands at your friend's home in NYC, you may also wish to visit an one of the five (5) Allen Edmond Stores in NYC to verify the fit before returning to Europe with your treasure. And while you are at the store, try on some other styles to see what your fit would be for those styles too.

David

4. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Just got off the phone with Monica at J'Ville outlet and ordered bison Yuma. My collection is quickly growing! Only started last week and already en route are LaSalle, Long Branch, Amok, Yuma, and sitting in my closet are a pair of Strands and McTavish. Got the AE bug

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Gotta love a guy who buys two pair of cordovan shoes and prefaces it with just!! That is my kind of guy :)

Honestly the Leeds is the steal of the bunch. The boots are considerably more money than the Leeds and I am not sure it makes a ton if sense. I should probably be getting Leeds instead of the Bayfield but what are you gonna do...

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks for sharing this Money. I never would have put that combination together and I really like it a lot. As I do you sharing your extensive knowledge of shoes, thank you.
    I have ~40 AE shoes (I quit counting, don't want to know any more) and almost half of them are shell, they all do this.When you wear orthotic's or hard inserts it is going to happen. It is a bit unsettling at first however after awhile you hardly notice it [​IMG]. Using shoe trees and resting your shoes at least a day between wearings helps a lot, mine rotate enough that by the time I wear them again they are back to normal. When you make your journey to the AE store make sure you pick up some AE conditioner & cleaner it will help the shoe restore its shape. You don't want to over do it but once a month or so condition them and it will help. And good luck on your visit to the AE store!
    [​IMG]

N+1 on hand at all times. As soon as I open a new jar I order at least 1 more. I would like to know how to get the very last bit out of the top corners of those jars. I struggled the other night with a microfiber cloth for 10 minutes and can't get the very last bit out. It drives me crazy!!

7. Veridis

Veridis Well-Known Member

You're on a roll! The fifth ave was out of stock.. So I ordered Bourbon strands (I really love my walnut strands) and walnut Cliftons.

8. XFi1382

XFi1382 Active Member

Hi David. It was the Allen Edmonds store in Brussels. It was more just trial and error of fitting different shoe sizes than an actual fitting, so it might be worthwhile doing a new fitting somewhere in the US :) Anyway, for the Dalton, for now I assume I keep the same size as my Strand, an 8.5E

Cheers,
    Sebastiaan

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I also ordered the Bayfield in cappuccino along with the cappuccino McAllister's. I have been waiting since Monday for a call back from Debora about a third make up that I am keeping secret for now. Anxiously waiting...

I have the 744 also but love the Bayfield and think I know why. Twice I have come close to picking up the Alden X Leffot Naval Officer boot and very glad I waited. I would much rather have AE which in boots is hard to do. But worth it to me.

[​IMG]
    The second boot from the left is a 30 Year old Naval boot flanked on the left by a CXL Bayfield and black calf Bayfield on the right. After I get my cappuccino Bayfields and see how they fit there is a very good chance I will get black shell Bayfield's also.

10. zchen

zchen Senior member

A secret.......? This got me intrigued.[​IMG]

11. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

6-8 is the same as me but I thought that was very fast

12. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I been awaiting call from same lady I think she has been out this week

13. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Considering my Edward green MTO which I placed last month won't be here until January of 2014 I shall agree with you.

14. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Black Rutledge or Park ave as my formal shoe? I'm leaning Rutledge as it seems a little more modern to me

15. marmot8

marmot8 Well-Known Member

At the rate you're going, buy them both?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.