Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

Thanks for the response. I only have a few pairs of AEs so I am still feeling my way through their lasts. It is unfortunate there is no AE boutique here in Toronto, stores mainly carry D widths and have limited styles. The Strand in 8.5D is a bit too snug at the widest part of my foot and so is the 9D but not as much. The issue I have with the 9D Strand is when I look down at my shoe the vamp seems to exceed the width of the sole (muffin top for shoes), my guess for the #5 last I might be a 8,5E however I am hooping the Jefferson in 9D with the added volume might do the trick. My only concern would be heel slippage. My 5th Ave in 9D slips a tiny bit, not enough to put in a tongue pad or an insole....the Fairfax is a perfect fit. BTW I have the Big Sur and the Players both in 9D as well and Boston in 9.5D but I use a half sole with it.

2. facet

facet Senior member

Yep, 8D. I found my Kenilworths also were a little larger in terms of volume compared to my PAs, a bit more so than the Jeffersons. I did try on a pair that were a half size down but didn't like the feel of it because of the change in length so ended up doing the tongue pad thing with them as well and haven't had problems since.

3. robbrechter

robbrechter Well-Known Member

Use some saddle soap, especially on the parts under buckles, etc. I had the same issue with the same shoe/color and that did it for me.

4. AllenEdmondsCEO

AllenEdmondsCEO Active Member

See next version, please.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  5. AllenEdmondsCEO

AllenEdmondsCEO Active Member

StyleForum Friends -

Thanks very much for your great interest and support of Allen Edmonds. I'm seriously impressed and, on behalf of the company, honored by the 615 pages in this thread. I want you to know that we strive to live up to your high standards every single day, not just in product quality and styling but also in customer service. Customized shoes require special processing and, as you'd expect, aren't as efficiently done as our long production runs of in-line shoes. However, in return for your support, if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at [email protected]. If we can do it for you, we will. The pricing will be "ad hoc" based on degree of difficulty, but I'm eager to give you a special deal. If we can't do it, I'll explain why. In other words, we'll do whatever we can to return your loyalty and trust.

Thanks very much again to you all and best wishes,
    Paul

6. PerCC

PerCC Active Member

It's funny you ask this, because I just got back from my first visit to the local Rack a few minutes ago. There should be a mix between first quality and seconds - some pairs had the shoe stamp they put on their second quality shoes. I did see a lot of shoes that had been beat up a little bit though. There will most likely be some scuffs or a little wear on most pairs, so they're basically all going to be similar to a second quality shoe in terms of aesthetics.

7. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

This is so awesome. Yet another reason to love Allen Edmonds.

8. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Now, that's just about the greatest thing you could have said. I've personally tried every maneuver in the book (online chat, emails and AE store sales staff) to get some snuff suede Strands and some sand-colored Neumoras (that one, I saw offered by Ball and Buck, but not in my size). I don't think I'm alone in searching for these and similar items, and being presented the opportunity to finally order them is astoundingly positive news. It's reassuring to hear a CEO so committed to serving the company's loyal consumer base. It doesn't feel like something you had/have to do, but it just cleared a few alternate brands off my wish list.

So, sincerely, I would to say, "thank you, sir." You'll probably hear from me very soon and for years to come.

9. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Guys - I can personally attest to the fact that Paul is committed to his customers. About a year ago he helped me secure a pair of Wendells after they had been discontinued, and now he's helping me get a custom pair of McAllisters in a color that is not readily offered. He has been attentive to my concerns, and has even offered some advice on what he feels I could do to fill some of the gaps in my collection. The fact that the CEO of Allen Edmonds would pay attention to what people are saying in a forum and then reach out to them strikes me as going above and beyond the call of duty. What's more, he actually seems to enjoy doing it. Thanks, Paul!

10. polojock615

I hear you on the suede offerings. I remember posting my collection a while back and a couple of you guys said I needed some suede. Since then I've gotten two pairs of Player's Shoes and a pair of Amoks. The sand suede really is nice on the Player's Shoes. I'm thinking something in sharkskin. I wonder if there is any sharkskin left after the production of the Redans? Brown sharkskin would be amazing, though. My Cliftons are getting lonely (they're the ones on the right)....

[​IMG]

11. polojock615

So I've decided to definitively answer my own question about the colors of brown shell Strands versus Dark Brown shell Dundees; I've decided to add to the family - Dundees have been ordered. Will post a new picture with them to show the difference when I get them. Also, I will add to the picture when I obtain some Cappuccino shell shoes.

[​IMG]

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I'll take Mr. Grangaard up on his offer. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

13. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

I don't have McAllisters in burgundy but I just picked up a pair in Walnut. Gorgeous shoe:

[​IMG]

14. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Thanks for this, Paul. This is precisely the kind of service that keeps bringing me back to AE.

15. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Oh...in case anyone didn't know...Paul Grangaard is the fucking man. Steve Jobs...the Paul Grangaard of the computer industry...

Keep up the great work and thanks again for your service!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.