• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

hollyb

Reaction score

I own, or have owned, various 5 lasted shoes in shell and calf, all in 9D - Jefferson, PA, Strand, Strawfut, etc. I am TTS 9.5D.

The kenilworth in 9D was the exception. It was too small overall, and particularly too narrow. I ended up selling them.

Thanks for the response. I only have a few pairs of AEs so I am still feeling my way through their lasts. It is unfortunate there is no AE boutique here in Toronto, stores mainly carry D widths and have limited styles. The Strand in 8.5D is a bit too snug at the widest part of my foot and so is the 9D but not as much. The issue I have with the 9D Strand is when I look down at my shoe the vamp seems to exceed the width of the sole (muffin top for shoes), my guess for the #5 last I might be a 8,5E however I am hooping the Jefferson in 9D with the added volume might do the trick. My only concern would be heel slippage. My 5th Ave in 9D slips a tiny bit, not enough to put in a tongue pad or an insole....the Fairfax is a perfect fit. BTW I have the Big Sur and the Players both in 9D as well and Boston in 9.5D but I use a half sole with it.

facet

Reaction score

Thanks for the response Facet! I gather your Jefferson, Kenilworth and PA are all the same size? I think I'll give the Jefferson a go in 9D.

Yep, 8D. I found my Kenilworths also were a little larger in terms of volume compared to my PAs, a bit more so than the Jeffersons. I did try on a pair that were a half size down but didn't like the feel of it because of the change in length so ended up doing the tongue pad thing with them as well and haven't had problems since.

robbrechter

Reaction score

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the squeakiness of my new brown calf Neumoras? I suspect it's the large leather flap on the double monkstrap rubbing on the leather underneath that's the cause. Is there any way to alleviate the sound? Many thanks in advance!

Use some saddle soap, especially on the parts under buckles, etc. I had the same issue with the same shoe/color and that did it for me.

PaulGrangaardCR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
StyleForum Friends -

Thanks very much for your great interest and support of Allen Edmonds. I'm seriously impressed and, on behalf of the company, honored by the 615 pages in this thread. I want you to know that we strive to live up to your high standards every single day, not just in product quality and styling but also in customer service. Customized shoes require special processing and, as you'd expect, aren't as efficiently done as our long production runs of in-line shoes. However, in return for your support, if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at [email protected]. If we can do it for you, we will. The pricing will be "ad hoc" based on degree of difficulty, but I'm eager to give you a special deal. If we can't do it, I'll explain why. In other words, we'll do whatever we can to return your loyalty and trust.

Thanks very much again to you all and best wishes,
Paul

PerCC

Reaction score
I've read a bunch about this on this thread but I'm still a bit unclear so can someone please help clarify? I understand that the AE outlet stores sell "seconds" at a reduced price. I'm unclear what Nordstrom Rack sells. There's a few located near me and I plan to stop in and see what they have. Will the AE's there be "seconds" or are they "firsts" that they need to move out for some reason (overstock, old style, odd size, etc.)? If they are in fact "seconds" how would I know? Are they labeled as such?

Thanks.
Adam

It's funny you ask this, because I just got back from my first visit to the local Rack a few minutes ago. There should be a mix between first quality and seconds - some pairs had the shoe stamp they put on their second quality shoes. I did see a lot of shoes that had been beat up a little bit though. There will most likely be some scuffs or a little wear on most pairs, so they're basically all going to be similar to a second quality shoe in terms of aesthetics.

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
StyleForum Friends -

Thanks very much for your great interest and support of Allen Edmonds. I'm seriously impressed and, on behalf of the company, honored by the 615 pages in this thread. I want you to know that we strive to live up to your high standards every single day, not just in product quality and styling but also in customer service. Customized shoes require special processing and, as you'd expect, aren't as efficiently done as our long production runs of in-line shoes. However, in return for your support, if it's a leather we carry in another style that you'd like on your chosen shoe but is not currently offered -- or if it's a width on a legacy last (such as the 5, the 7, the 8 or the 1) that isn't currently offered -- just send me an email at [email protected]. If we can do it for you, we will. The pricing will be "ad hoc" based on degree of difficulty, but I'm eager to give you a special deal. If we can't do it, I'll explain why. In other words, we'll do whatever we can to return your loyalty and trust.

Paul
This is so awesome. Yet another reason to love Allen Edmonds.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
StyleForum Friends -

Paul

Now, that's just about the greatest thing you could have said. I've personally tried every maneuver in the book (online chat, emails and AE store sales staff) to get some snuff suede Strands and some sand-colored Neumoras (that one, I saw offered by Ball and Buck, but not in my size). I don't think I'm alone in searching for these and similar items, and being presented the opportunity to finally order them is astoundingly positive news. It's reassuring to hear a CEO so committed to serving the company's loyal consumer base. It doesn't feel like something you had/have to do, but it just cleared a few alternate brands off my wish list.

So, sincerely, I would to say, "thank you, sir." You'll probably hear from me very soon and for years to come.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
StyleForum Friends -

Paul

Guys - I can personally attest to the fact that Paul is committed to his customers. About a year ago he helped me secure a pair of Wendells after they had been discontinued, and now he's helping me get a custom pair of McAllisters in a color that is not readily offered. He has been attentive to my concerns, and has even offered some advice on what he feels I could do to fill some of the gaps in my collection. The fact that the CEO of Allen Edmonds would pay attention to what people are saying in a forum and then reach out to them strikes me as going above and beyond the call of duty. What's more, he actually seems to enjoy doing it. Thanks, Paul!

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now, that's just about the greatest thing you could have said. I've personally tried every maneuver in the book (online chat, emails and AE store sales staff) to get some snuff suede Strands and some sand-colored Neumoras (that one, I saw offered by Ball and Buck, but not in my size). I don't think I'm alone in searching for these and similar items, and being presented the opportunity to finally order them is astoundingly positive news. It's reassuring to hear a CEO so committed to serving the company's loyal consumer base. It doesn't feel like something you had/have to do, but it just cleared a few alternate brands off my wish list.

So, sincerely, I would to say, "thank you, sir." You'll probably hear from me very soon and for years to come.

I hear you on the suede offerings. I remember posting my collection a while back and a couple of you guys said I needed some suede. Since then I've gotten two pairs of Player's Shoes and a pair of Amoks. The sand suede really is nice on the Player's Shoes. I'm thinking something in sharkskin. I wonder if there is any sharkskin left after the production of the Redans? Brown sharkskin would be amazing, though. My Cliftons are getting lonely (they're the ones on the right)....

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I've decided to definitively answer my own question about the colors of brown shell Strands versus Dark Brown shell Dundees; I've decided to add to the family - Dundees have been ordered. Will post a new picture with them to show the difference when I get them. Also, I will add to the picture when I obtain some Cappuccino shell shoes.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
StyleForum Friends -

Paul

I'll take Mr. Grangaard up on his offer. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

Anyone have the McAllister in Burnished Merlot? I'm thinking they might be the next piece to add to my collection, which currently includes the walnut Strand and the Players Shoe in navy suede.

Background info: I'm self-employed, work in the entertainment industry (lighting and media production) so I never have to wear a suit, or even dress particularly nice (though I am making a lot more of an effort.) I'm in the early stages of building my wardrobe, and trying to work in as much versatility as possible. I wear the Strand a lot, frequently two days in a row, so I'd like to have another shoe to rotate in there.

I don't have McAllisters in burgundy but I just picked up a pair in Walnut. Gorgeous shoe:

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

StyleForum Friends -

Paul

Thanks for this, Paul. This is precisely the kind of service that keeps bringing me back to AE.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

StyleForum Friends -

Paul

Oh...in case anyone didn't know...Paul Grangaard is the ******* man. Steve Jobs...the Paul Grangaard of the computer industry...

Keep up the great work and thanks again for your service!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads