Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESElrond

ESElrond Member

Last night, I noticed the addition of a new (to me) model to the clearance section of AE's website: the Rawlins. It's a plain-toed blucher on the 8-last, available in black calf (only), and priced at just $247.

What seemed particularly odd: it's available in all lengths from 6.5 to 12, but only E width. On top of that, nearly all of the sizes listed are "in stock" without any shipment delay, so they must have stock on-hand already.

Can anybody imagine why this might be? Could Allen Edmonds have unearthed a secret cache of completed shoes from a disused corner of their warehouse, that by chance included only E widths?

If the Rawlins were available in my size, I'd almost definitely buy a pair -- I don't currently own any plain-toed bluchers with a standard welt, and my other 8-last shoes fit wonderfully. But since I'm a 10.5 D in the Delray and Clifton, I don't think the nearest alternatives in E width are likely to work out.

Any thoughts? This might be a lucky break for anyone who normally wears an E width in the 8-last.

2. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

Thanks for the through response! Nice AE collection! I did stumble on one of the Ask Andy threads you referenced, one of these days I'll attempt the Kenilworth again and do the half size down....really like the look of it, seems pretty versatile. That said, the Jefferson is first on the list. I may just give it a try and send it back if it doesn't fit right. BTW I have one of the Rough Collections (Big Sur) in 9D as well, a bit loose in the ankle as mine are narrow but otherwise fits okay. Thanks again.

3. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

Thanks for the response Facet! I gather your Jefferson, Kenilworth and PA are all the same size? I think I'll give the Jefferson a go in 9D.

Thanks as well OptoDoc! The Kenilworth will be my next shoe after the Jefferson, I'll do the half size down and one width up.

4. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Can anyone comment on sizing for the Dalton? TTS or size down a half?

5. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

tts for me and many others. or, + 0.5 from Strand or 5-last shoes.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I own, or have owned, various 5 lasted shoes in shell and calf, all in 9D - Jefferson, PA, Strand, Strawfut, etc. I am TTS 9.5D.

The kenilworth in 9D was the exception. It was too small overall, and particularly too narrow. I ended up selling them.

7. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Using a disability as a slur is not satirical, it hateful and prejudicial. I would bet that if your child was autistic, you would not be taking this quite so lightly.

8. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Exactly my thoughts. However, it does look like a MacNeil to me, too. Pretty strange...

9. Variatio

May I add the remark that there is no (really not any) store in Germany which even carries the Patriot, not to mention any other width than E. I therefore have to get as close as I can to the correct size, since shipping costs U.S.<->Germany are really huge, so I would by all means try to avoid sending back a pair of shoes which do not fit. The bit of additional length I would need is only regarding the forefoot (toes) btw.

AE service recommended to go half up, i.e. take an 11.5E instead of an 11.0E. My concern however is that this would not only add length but as well cause a wider fit which then would probably be too wide for me, especially at the heels. Am I right? What do you suggest?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

With AE recommending that you go to an 11.5E it makes it difficult as I would have said the same thing as you thought in your first post, that an 11.5D should work.

I am wearing my brown shell Patriots this morning although with so much snow on the ground yet I will switch to boots once I leave the house. They are the first loafer I have ever found that fit me, I have a very narrow heel but these work for me. I also have a fairly low volume foot and have black superfeet inserts in them. With that combination they fit just about perfectly, for my foot that is. Without the inserts they still work well though. Heel slip in a loafer can and usually is a deal breaker so I think much like you in that I would be concerned that the 11.5E heel might be too large. However the heel is fairly narrow on the Patriot so you might get away with it. Going up in width usually causes me much more heel slip problems than going up a half size in length but same width IME so the 11.5E may work as AE suggested. Because I fit the same in Cambridge and Strands but half a size down in the McTavish from you we do not have the same type of foot, so it is hard for me to say for sure, I wish I could. Good luck that is a tough situation you are in given the costs of returns.

11. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

Quote:
    That is definitely not the Players. Like msulinski said, it looks like the Macneil.

12. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I have the McAllister in the burnished merlot/burgundy. It is a very versatile shoe. For the environment you are working, this would work to dress up blue jeans or a pair of chinos. Also, it works great with navy and various grays. I think this was one my 3rd or 4th pair of AEs when I started building my collection. Now I have 16 pairs. I still wear the burnished merlot McAllisters in my regular rotation. They are a must have for you.
    [​IMG]
    Here are mine from the wild in an old pic.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

13. Variatio

First and foremost, thanks a bunch for sharing your thoughts. [​IMG]

It would probably help a lot if I would know the exact measurement differences (especially regarding the width) between 11.0E, 11.5D and 11.5E, unfortunately for whatever reason not even the Lady from AE had been able to provide me with this information. [​IMG]

14. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I've read a bunch about this on this thread but I'm still a bit unclear so can someone please help clarify? I understand that the AE outlet stores sell "seconds" at a reduced price. I'm unclear what Nordstrom Rack sells. There's a few located near me and I plan to stop in and see what they have. Will the AE's there be "seconds" or are they "firsts" that they need to move out for some reason (overstock, old style, odd size, etc.)? If they are in fact "seconds" how would I know? Are they labeled as such?

Thanks.
    Adam

15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I bought the Hale on AE's Clearance section last year. It is also on the 8-last, in which I wear an 8.5D. However, they only had an 8.5E. I bought it anyway and it fits great after I bought a Superfeet insert to take up some of the extra volume. I've had no problems with it at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.