1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior Member

Question folks... I have a useless jar of the AE Dark Brown cordovan cream. The reason I say useless is because it is much darker than what my shell strands should be.

Is this ok to use on calf skin? If not, whoever wants it....

2. Winston S.

Winston S. Distinguished Member

Thanks for the review, will definitely take all of that into consideration if I end up getting a barrie lasted shoe.

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior Member

Nice shoes! I have the same pair, and treat them as my "beater" shoes. In other words, if I'm going to do something dusty / wet... during the day, but I need dress shoes, those are the shoes I wear. The great thing about the scotch grain leather and the double soles make these shoes very resilient. You can do almost anything to them and they'll look great with a brushing and quick moisturizing. I don't actually polish them, just moisturize periodically (1-2x per year).

Lots of action on the forum lately - great to see some new names and contributors! Thanks for the excellent write-up on the top-line bowing, Cold Iron!

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

Cold Iron, thanks for this recap! I thought you had said this before, but I then I also thought that you'd recommended using only 'vateur, so I was confused. This clears it up. I've been working on my 744s with 'vateur, and it's not enough to do the job. I'm going to order some 'Mat from Kirby. Already ordered the Amazon microfiber towels! I wonder if Saphir ever thought that people would shorten both products' names to "Reno" which can cause some confusion! :D

5. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

I noticed that as well... My Patriot shell in brown are a much lighter brown than the cream.

6. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

That's a strange clouded colour. I remember another user posting his grey Daltons and the colour was a smooth gun-metal grey without the blotches you see in the second last picture.

7. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Distinguished Member

For AE shell, I never had much trouble bringing out a glossy shine by using a bit of Kiwi Neutral, a brush, and an old t-shirt; not that using Renomat isn't advised, just that there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I considered buying one of those clearance grey shoes. I would have immediately gone to town on it with blue and black products.

8. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

What edge dressing goes on walnut (calf) daltons and players shoes?

People in this thread were saying to use Chili dressing but...looking at them, I would call it "brown" but its not as dark as some brown non-AE shoes I have.

Is the chili dressing not as red-toned as the chili shoes are?

9. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

The guys at the AE store told me that 'natural' is the one that should be used. However it was out of stock so they recommended I get the 'chili' and made sure not to let it dry and wipe it off right after applying.

This was for the walnut Strand though.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Distinguished Member

Thanks CI, appreciate the help.

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Chili is the best choice. Natural won't cover up knicks and scuffs that go through the surface color of the leather. Brown may be a good second choice, but the Chili really does look best. Yes, it has a slightly reddish hue, but it isn't like you are turning your sole edge to a burgundy like color. They retain their natural brown look well, but take on a nice attractive reddish undertone that compliments the hue of the Walnut perfectly (particularly Burnished Walnut). I know that there has been some discrepancy in AE's recommendation for the sole edge for their Walnut Strand. They started out saying to use Natural, but moved to Chili. For some reason, their shoe care pdf says "n/a" in the sole edge column, but their other Walnut calf shoes with this color sole edge recommend Chili, and the "ask and answer" section on the Walnut Strand says to use Chili. At the end of the day, they are your shoes, so use what you like best though. You aren't doing permanent damage if you change your mind about what color you like.

12. nicedream

nicedream Active Member

Does anyone have any idea why so many shoes on the AE website are out of stock and list delivery times of 3 to 8 weeks? Is this how AE normally is, or are the factory just behind for a while (maybe because of the 2 new stores in Philly and NYC)?

13. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior Member

+1 - I chatted with the rep online and mentioned that for walnut calf McAllister that the online PDF says "n/a". He recommended natural. However when I was in the store I asked the salesman the same question and he said while you could use natural that he uses chili on his and showed me an example. Chili looked really nice so that's what I bought. I haven't had to apply it yet so can't speak first hand other than seeing his sample.

14. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior Member

Many I have ordered state that, but they usually come sooner than listed time.

15. wdahab

wdahab Distinguished Member

I believe it's because AE stores a lot of shoes as uppers separate from the soles (so 95% finished), for space reasons. Since the shoe hasn't been completely assembled, it won't ship out immediately, but it'll probably be faster than a 3-8 week lead time. Of course other shoes may simply be out of stock in your requested size and they need to make them from scratch. I'd imagine that the inventory system online doesn't differentiate between these two states.

BTW, this is why some shoes mared as clearance are also marked as 3 week delay. They wouldn't make a shoe from scratch if they were already trying to clear out that model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.