Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. umirin

umirin Member

I had a chance to try on a couple of pairs of the bourbon Strand's the other day. I normally wear 10.5 and tried on a couple of sizes. The size 10.5's were comfortably snug, and the 10's were a little tighter (They felt tight around the toes and were harder to slip into, even using a shoe horn). There was no heel movement on either while walking, with the 10's feeling tighter and secure around the heels, and the 10.5's feeling a little more relaxed. The salesman was pushing the 10's saying they would stretch out, even though the 10.5's felt better now. Just wondering how much room breaking in a pair of these shoes will give me, and how snug they should be when I buy them. Do they stretch out a full half size? It may sound like a kind of dumb question, but I am getting rid of my ugly old square toed slip ons and upgrading my whole wardrobe right now, and rarely wear anything more dressy than sneakers and wanted to hear from people that have done it.

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

FWIW .....

I wear AE Strands (5 last) in 9D. I wear many other AE's in 9.5D.

I go 1/2 size down in my 5 lasted AE's.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

3. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

No. They won't stretch a full half size. If the 10.5 was "comfortably snug," I think the 10 is too small.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

As I type I am wearing an AE chili belt with these from C&J (Beechnut Burnished Calf):

http://www.skyvalet1.com/Crockett-Jones-Drummond_p_80.html

They pair well together. AE chili also goes well with most Alden ravello shell models.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

Yep - if the 10.5 is comfortably snug, and you have little to no heel slippage, it sounds like 10.5 is the right one.

6. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

I can vouch for that. I ordered the Cronmok in 11E, I have Fairhaven and a few others in 11E and 11D; but that Cronmok on the 5 last is long. I should have went down a half size.

7. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior member

On that same page on Youtube is a video on polishing Cordovan.

I now officially suck at polishing...anything.

8. stgrim

stgrim Senior member

9. Rene_Lahm

Rene_Lahm Senior member

Anyone had any experience with the San Marco's? They're on clearance at the AE site, and I love the look of the pebble grain leather! They have a rubber sole which would suit my business casual needs.

10. wohwoh

wohwoh Well-Known Member

Hey everyone,

I am looking for my first dress shoe for interviews/other formal events and initially decided on the Park Avenues. However, I believe I have a high in-step and wide feet. My biggest (right) foot measured to be in between E and EE, and in size 7. The E feels like it is a perfect fit except I have a 3/4 inch gap at the very top of the tongue so it performs a small V. The EE doesn't reduce the width of the V and causes my heel to slip. I also tried on a 7.5E and that was too long for my feet.

My questions are:

1. What do you think about the fitting of the 7E? Is the 3/4 inch gap tolerable? To be honest, it really bothers me.

2. What other shoes may I purchase that is appropriate for formal events? I would prefer something from Allen Edmonds that suits my high in-step. However, I am open to trying other brands as well.

11. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The Park Avenue is really the only AE shoe that is right for formal events. Since you can't get a good fit from it (or likely any other shoe on the 5-last, which are typically the most formal), I would suggest a different brand. Give Alden a try.

12. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

If the shoe is comfortable, it's alright to have a "small V." As for other brands, the black cap toes I usually recommend do not come in E widths (Meermin and Andrew Lock). If you're on the border of an E and a EE, I would exhaust your AE options before looking elsewhere.

13. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

By "a 3/4 inch gap at the very top of the tongue so it performs a small V," do you mean that the two sides flaps (name, anyone?) do not meet over the tongue? If so, that's pretty normal, and 3/4" doesn't seem too wide to me.

14. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

The pieces are called the eyestay. A 3/4 inch gap means the shoe is likely too narrow. It's not an uncommon sight, as many people wear their shoes like this not knowing that it's incorrectly sized. It's also not as egregiously wide, as a lot of people wear their balmorals with a ginormous gap. But the eyestays on a balmoral should lace just about all they way shut (the sweet spot is about 1/8-1/4 inch gap, so there's still room to pull them snug).

15. umirin

umirin Member

Thanks! I'm going to go back and try them on again to make sure before I commit, but that was the hunch I had when I was in the store.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.