Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jayw

jayw Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So guys. Are my Strands way too tight or am I worrying over nothing? They feel comfortable like this, but tightening them much more would probably cause them to be a bit uncomfortable.

2. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Cold Iron, thank-you very much for that informative reply. Very interesting to read about your experience with bowing, as well as the CEO's thoughts on the matter. Unfortunately, it is obvious that AE still hasn't completely resolved the issue, but perhaps they've lowered the rate at which the problem occurs, and hopefully continue to do so. My search for a non-bowing pair of black PA continues. Fingers crossed, the third time will be the charm. I have another pair on the way from the Jvill store, and will be shipping back the pair I have today.

3. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

Did AE perhaps make the Daltons in both cloud and granite greys? I think the granite grey is more solid, as seen in the current clearance granite grey calf park avenues.

4. BCer

BCer Senior member

[​IMG]

Weather up here in Vancouver is getting nice enough that I can break out the McTavish Natural Tans!

5. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I don't have a pony in this race, but I would like to comment that many high functioning people with Asperger's Syndrome describe it as being an "alien" among humans. In fact, a story was written about a professor with high functioning autism,Temple Grandin, who described social interactions as being like "an anthropologist on Mars."

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Very nice!

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

8. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Black Park Avenue seconds go on sale on April 15th. See my previous post.

9. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013

10. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Thanks for the heads-up, but I actually bought mine for the same 20% discounted price of $215.20. :nodding: As someone graciously revealed in this thread a week or so ago, the Jeffersonville outlet is currently having a 20% off one item sale until April 30. You can only use the offer on one item per order, but you can order a pair of shoes every day and receive the 20% discount.

For anyone else interested or unaware, I'll pass on the Jville store contact info:

740-948-9033
    [email protected]

Monica there has been very friendly and helpful, and quick to reply to emails.

11. otc

otc Senior member

Picked up some Chili and Black edge dressing (and some suede spray which was my real reason for going) at the AE store over lunch.

Those travel sized dispensers work great! Hopefully they don't run dry too fast (they are only $1.50 less than the full size ones which hold 6-7 times more liquid).

Chili is not that red although it is a pinch darker than what was on my daltons...but you guys are right that using natural color probably wouldn't cover up the scrapes.

12. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I believe this is true. When I was in a store, the sales associate told me that they can actually see inventory of shoes that are finished, as well as shoes that have uppers complete, but have not been assembled. The shoe I wanted had a longer lead time, because there weren't even any uppers in inventory.

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I agree about the Chili color not being that red. I noticed that the AE chili color is almost identical to the C&J Chestnut, at least on the Westbournes I have. I bought an AE chili belt to match them (C&J belts are double the price of AE ones), and it is a near-perfect match.

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

While it may be possible that they store them in that state for space reasons, I don't think I'd jump to that conclusion. It could be a combination of that and the amount of additional production time needed to pair them with soles (among other considerations). While they may save space, not having them complete creates a lag in delivery time (on the consumer end) that could outweigh the benefits of saved space (on their end). Having them as uppers, ready to be lasted, feels like an intermediate step between a fresh production run and storing completed products.

Once I amassed enough shoes, I got over the subjective inconvenience of having to wait. I know the shoe I'm going to get, and I try not to let the delay influence my decision.

As far as differentiating between the estimated wait times, there are plenty of factors (from the actual availability of leathers to the uppers themselves) which could influence the wait time.

As far as the clearance models still having a wait time, some of those could be a consequence of a surplus of grey leathers (and assembled uppers) that they want to clear out. They even created some of those styles to be placed directly on the clearance section. Thus, they might still need to assemble the uppers once they figured out in what manner people will actually take the less actively desired leathers. I mean no offense intended to people who want them in grey, just that the demand for those seems to be lower than they anticipated.

15. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I heard that AE built a new warehouse and inventory levels were low so they wouldn't have to move so many shoes. I don't know if this is the reason (or even if they did build a new warehouse), but my local menswear / shoe store said they were told that was the reason for the delays they were having recently.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.