Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benjaminroy

benjaminroy Well-Known Member

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Chili is correct.

3. MarcusJY

MarcusJY Member

To the guys than owns the Dalton, do you wear them outside of fall and winter? I've fallen in love with them and want them now, but really don't see myself wearing them until this fall...especially since I live in Georgia.

4. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I actually typically use the Natural edge dressing.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

AE originally recommended the Natural edge dressing to me, but the problem is that it does not replace any color on the heel and sole edge. After reading all the recommendations for the chilli dressing in this thread, I tried it and find it to be a much better solution.

6. benjaminroy

benjaminroy Well-Known Member

Yeah, when I used the live chat to ask them directly the guy told me natural. But, I've also seen AE reps respond to this question in their own forum saying chili.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Cold Iron,
    How did you get down to the shell, Renomat?

My burgundy shell macneil's have never really shined up as much as I thought they should. I've only used renovateur on them and done that infrequently. They have a dry-like feel to the vamp, where the shoes naturally crease (roll). I always thought they were just dry but now you've got me thinking if there is just a buildup of polish from the factory. I've never applied any wax to that part of the shoe. Note, my shell leeds feel very similar but my Alden shell shoes/boots never had the same feel.

I wonder if I should try a Renomat treatment, followed by Renovateur to see if I could get them more to my liking.

Look forward to you thoughts.

8. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Have a question: What color is the natural color of shell leather? I ask, because I often see the burgundy color cited as the original authentic shell color, but Im wondering if this is because this was the first or most popular color of dye that was used on shell, or if its because the actual leather itself is a shade of burgundy.

9. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I don't know if this is the best representation of its natural color, but since I expected it to be close to the color of horse hide, I think this chart gives a reasonable, if slightly over-exposed, estimate of common shell colors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

It's the most commonly died color but is a tan color when they cut the shells out of the hide. After additional tanning which adds oils, waxes, etc. it's a dark brown. There are a few youtube videos showing the process at Horween.

Edited to Add:

11. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Wow...thanks a lot you two. This thread is so informative. Even if I didnt like AE shoes, this thread is a great place to learn about shoe style and the manufacturing process.

12. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

really???

so, in your opinion, the implication being that the poster's English is abnormal and going by your guess as to what he was thinking that he is non-human or sub-human, therefore he must "have asperger's or something". do you seriously believe that people with autism aren't human? either your logic is severely skewed or perhaps, you are just a small-minded, ignorant, hateful person?

your profile states "lawyerin' " is what you do for a living. I could use all sorts of clichés--some of them well-deserved, but many of them compleatly wrong--to make guesses about you, but to do so would not be right. however, I can make an educated guess based on your words: you are an asshole.

13. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

It seems my post went unnoticed amidst the haze of the unnecessary stir-up created by foo. :brick: Any more thoughts on the gaping issue, particularly in regard to Park vs Fifth Ave and brown vs black calf? Comments on the formality of the perf cap Fifth vs the Park Ave, and the interchangeability of the two?

On on unrelated note, check out this video that was attached to an email reply I received from Monica at the Jville store. I'm sure many here have seen it, but for those who haven't it's worth the watch! Making a pair of Allen Edmonds shoes really is quite the process:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

I wish I could tell you because I don't remember. They've been in my drawer forever. Today was the first time I ever wore them.

15. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Does anyone out there have outfit/wear pics of the black eagle county with the brick sole? Im really considering a pair but Im starting to have doubts about the wedge sole shape and color. A friend remarked they "looked ready for a german industrial club/berghain"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.