• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
I
I'm not quite sold on them yet, but if I were to pick up a pair, it would be these.  I really wish I had have picked up navy player's.

I could almost see myself buying them but being too embarrassed to wear them outside the house or even in the presence of my wife. LOL! Yet I keep looking at them. It's like when you're a kid and have to complete a set of baseball cards. It's a sickness.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do these shoes do anything for you? I have to admit that I am somewhat infatuated with them. Part of it is that they are Strands, amongst my favorite AE's. The other part is that they are suede; I recently was trying to scratch the suede itch for the first time. I popped that cherry when I found the chocolate suede Player's in my size.

I have other needs; Bourbon Strands come to mind as do chocolate Dalton's.

I have no idea what I would wear them with. They feel like a novelty, but the infatuation is there nonetheless. Perhaps it is the get 'em now or never aspect to them.

I'm not quite sold on them yet, but if I were to pick up a pair, it would be these.  I really wish I had have picked up navy player's.

I
I could almost see myself buying them but being too embarrassed to wear them outside the house or even in the presence of my wife. LOL! Yet I keep looking at them. It's like when you're a kid and have to complete a set of baseball cards. It's a sickness.

I'm a fan of suede, and I do like blue, but I'm not liking this style that much. I think it's the bright stitching that turn me off. Plus, they're a couple years late with the color blue, which makes it a little harder sell. The Player's in blue suede was magnificent. I also like this makeup for Lands End Canvas much better.

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-stewart-plaintoe-oxford-shoes~242204_-1.html

JermynStreet

Reaction score
Looks great!

So...are these horsey shoes? I think someone said that these were cordovan "colored".
Definitely not just "colored." If you look closely at the sheen on the leather, you'll notice that the shine is quite different and "mistier" than typical calf skin. Such is the luster of cordovan leather.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks great!

So...are these horsey shoes? I think someone said that these were cordovan "colored".

Definitely not just "colored." If you look closely at the sheen on the leather, you'll notice that the shine is quite different and "mistier" than typical calf skin. Such is the luster of cordovan leather.

I think by cordovan "colored" he meant a certain color of calf. It used to be fairly common to see the word "cordovan" used almost interchangeably with burgundy. I think with the proliferation of shell cordovan, that has been used less, as everyone realized it causes confusion.

In fact, here is an example of the term still being used by J&M. This is shown as "Color: Cordovan Italian Calfskin".
http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?pid=85072

Jermyn, not sure if this is what you meant, but just clarifying. You are right about the difference in luster between cordovan leather and calf leather.

Last edited:

cdmcallister

Reaction score
I'm due to receive my Bourbon Strands today (almost took the day off) from FedEx. This will be my first pair of new AE shoes and I can't wait to slip them on tonight when I get home.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Bourbon Strands are next on my list. This past weekend I took delivery of a pair of Walnut Strands which I really like. The 'D' width was far too tight, yet the 'E' width seems a tad too loose. When forced to choose I'd go with the 'E'. However, when I purchase my Bourbon's I'm thinking about trying a half size down but the same width. The Strand is a fantastic looking shoe and Bourbon will match well with so many options!

LeviMay

Reaction score
I ordered some Saphir Renovateur from Will at ASW, and I have to say that the cult-like following this stuff has is well-earned. Treated (dosed?) my Long Branches last night:

cdmcallister

Reaction score
Bourbon Strands are next on my list. This past weekend I took delivery of a pair of Walnut Strands which I really like. The 'D' width was far too tight, yet the 'E' width seems a tad too loose. When forced to choose I'd go with the 'E'. However, when I purchase my Bourbon's I'm thinking about trying a half size down but the same width. The Strand is a fantastic looking shoe and Bourbon will match well with so many options!

I'm a "tweener" like that too regarding width. When I went to the Denver AE store, I tried on several styles/lasts but found that I like the shoes built on the 5-65 best. I am normally a 10-10.5 US but ended up fitting the Strand, McAllister, etc. best in a 9.5 E (down in size, up in width) which makes sense given that the 5-65 is a longer, narrower last.
Since my last name is "McAllister" I will have to add those to my collection soon; my birthday is coming up so I'll ask my wife for those in Walnut.
I found the Bourbon Strands as seconds from the shoebank and I could not resist. I suspected what you suggest that they, "will match well with so many options!" I may pay for it with sore feet, but I will be wearing them to work tomorrow. I'll toss another pair in my bag in case they are too stiff to keep on my feet for 10 hours.

cdmcallister

Reaction score
Get orange laces for the Bourbon strands, you will not be disappointed.
Dang... I grabbed some purple and green but no orange. I figured the purple would be good for the purple shirt days and the green to wear for Saint Patrick's Day...

Maybe I'll run by the AE store after work and pick up a few more colors.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered some Saphir Renovateur from Will at ASW, and I have to say that the cult-like following this stuff has is well-earned. Treated (dosed?) my Long Branches last night:

They look great! Is that just Saphir, or did you polish them as well?

MarkThomas

Reaction score

Yes! I picked up the January "Box of Awesome" with all the Saphir stuff and I'm still just freaking out about how much better it is than anything else I've used. Your Long Branch's look great!

jjr4884

Reaction score
Do these shoes do anything for you? I have to admit that I am somewhat infatuated with them. Part of it is that they are Strands, amongst my favorite AE's. The other part is that they are suede; I recently was trying to scratch the suede itch for the first time. I popped that cherry when I found the chocolate suede Player's in my size.

I have other needs; Bourbon Strands come to mind as do chocolate Dalton's.

I have no idea what I would wear them with. They feel like a novelty, but the infatuation is there nonetheless. Perhaps it is the get 'em now or never aspect to them.

I love them, however I do wish the stitching and the suede matched closer, preferably lighten the suede a tad, they look black almost. Honestly I like the purple better, however the navy is much more practical. I will ahve a pair at some point before the summer.

Looks great!

I can't stand when people (and companies, not you lol) use the word cordovan to describe the color. Its burgundy, or merlot per AE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads