1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior Member

I

I could almost see myself buying them but being too embarrassed to wear them outside the house or even in the presence of my wife. LOL! Yet I keep looking at them. It's like when you're a kid and have to complete a set of baseball cards. It's a sickness.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

I'm a fan of suede, and I do like blue, but I'm not liking this style that much. I think it's the bright stitching that turn me off. Plus, they're a couple years late with the color blue, which makes it a little harder sell. The Player's in blue suede was magnificent. I also like this makeup for Lands End Canvas much better.

http://canvas.landsend.com/pp/mens-allen-edmonds-stewart-plaintoe-oxford-shoes~242204_-1.html

[​IMG]

3. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior Member

Definitely not just "colored." If you look closely at the sheen on the leather, you'll notice that the shine is quite different and "mistier" than typical calf skin. Such is the luster of cordovan leather.

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

I think by cordovan "colored" he meant a certain color of calf. It used to be fairly common to see the word "cordovan" used almost interchangeably with burgundy. I think with the proliferation of shell cordovan, that has been used less, as everyone realized it causes confusion.

In fact, here is an example of the term still being used by J&M. This is shown as "Color: Cordovan Italian Calfskin".
    http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?pid=85072

Jermyn, not sure if this is what you meant, but just clarifying. You are right about the difference in luster between cordovan leather and calf leather.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013

5. cdmcallister

cdmcallister Well-Known Member

I'm due to receive my Bourbon Strands today (almost took the day off) from FedEx. This will be my first pair of new AE shoes and I can't wait to slip them on tonight when I get home.

6. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior Member

Bourbon Strands are next on my list. This past weekend I took delivery of a pair of Walnut Strands which I really like. The 'D' width was far too tight, yet the 'E' width seems a tad too loose. When forced to choose I'd go with the 'E'. However, when I purchase my Bourbon's I'm thinking about trying a half size down but the same width. The Strand is a fantastic looking shoe and Bourbon will match well with so many options!

7. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior Member

Get orange laces for the Bourbon strands, you will not be disappointed.

8. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior Member

I ordered some Saphir Renovateur from Will at ASW, and I have to say that the cult-like following this stuff has is well-earned. Treated (dosed?) my Long Branches last night:

[​IMG]

9. cdmcallister

I'm a "tweener" like that too regarding width. When I went to the Denver AE store, I tried on several styles/lasts but found that I like the shoes built on the 5-65 best. I am normally a 10-10.5 US but ended up fitting the Strand, McAllister, etc. best in a 9.5 E (down in size, up in width) which makes sense given that the 5-65 is a longer, narrower last.
    Since my last name is "McAllister" I will have to add those to my collection soon; my birthday is coming up so I'll ask my wife for those in Walnut.
    I found the Bourbon Strands as seconds from the shoebank and I could not resist. I suspected what you suggest that they, "will match well with so many options!" I may pay for it with sore feet, but I will be wearing them to work tomorrow. I'll toss another pair in my bag in case they are too stiff to keep on my feet for 10 hours.

10. cdmcallister

Dang... I grabbed some purple and green but no orange. I figured the purple would be good for the purple shirt days and the green to wear for Saint Patrick's Day...

Maybe I'll run by the AE store after work and pick up a few more colors.

11. cdmcallister

Those look awesome; Revived and moisturized.

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

They look great! Is that just Saphir, or did you polish them as well?

13. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior Member

Update on my new Amoks:

Received them and they look and feel great.

BUT...

After a few days of wear, the dreaded "squeak" has begun. I'll have to exchange them and see if the next pair does the same thing. Other than that issue, they are a great pair of chukkas.

14. MarkThomas

MarkThomas Senior Member

Yes! I picked up the January "Box of Awesome" with all the Saphir stuff and I'm still just freaking out about how much better it is than anything else I've used. Your Long Branch's look great!

15. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior Member

I love them, however I do wish the stitching and the suede matched closer, preferably lighten the suede a tad, they look black almost. Honestly I like the purple better, however the navy is much more practical. I will ahve a pair at some point before the summer.

I can't stand when people (and companies, not you lol) use the word cordovan to describe the color. Its burgundy, or merlot per AE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.