• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpag

Reaction score
Just acquired some lightly used burgundy Sanfords. Debating between polishing them up to a high shine and trying to "antique" them with some black or maybe brown polish. I'm probably only going to wear them in more casual environments anyways, so I'm leaning toward that option, but I don't really know how to go about doing it. Any tips?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Honest question: Why all the cross-legged photos?

lol. This has come up before. It's really just that it's a good angle for taking photos. Think about it - most people are wearing these to work or lounging at home. They are sitting at their desk or on a couch and taking a picture with their cell phone. The easiest way to get a good, profile shot of the shoes is to cross one leg over the other.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

Brown Cordovan Townley arrived from shoebank last night!:slayer:

Looks great!

So...are these horsey shoes? I think someone said that these were cordovan "colored".

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just purchased a pair of Mctavish natural tan and will be getting them in a few days..What is the best way to care for these shoes? I alaready have shoe trees, but what kind of color wax polish should I use on them or if wax polish is not needed, then should I just use saddle soap to clean them and leave them unpolished?

I do know if I use brown wax polish it's going to darken the color of the shoes..

I only use AE leather lotion on my natual McTavishes. The color has not changed noticeable and the shoes look great.

Chris

harlequin782

Reaction score
you know, I still dont understand what people mean when they talk about the smell of cordovan....I got nothin when I smelt em. They just smelled like polish or maybe leather...nothing really outstanding from what I smelled of calf. Still enjoy my cordovans though.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score
Wearing the Lexingtons today (indoor/flash shot):

PCinDC

Reaction score
Hello Gents,
First post here, just joined this forum after lurking the marketplace for a little while. I'm a long time Allen Edmonds fan, with a current collection of Allen Edmonds as follows:

Black Calf Park Ave's
Brown Burnished Fifth Street (question about these shortly)
Black Calf Kenilworth
Walnut Strand
Grey Calf Dalton (ordered on closeout haven't actually received these yet)
Bourbon Dalton

I also have 5 of their belts as I find them to be of far superior quality to other brands (Trafalgar, RL, etc), and that just-right balance of value and quality that defines the Allen Edmonds brand.

So I have a question - I actually just picked up the 5th Street boots yesterday from an AE retailer near me. When I got home, I applied some leather conditioner like I do with all of my shoes. Maybe this is needless.

Anyway, the conditioner darkened the boots and while they are still gorgeous, they lost a little character that the burnishing lent them. The retailer agreed to exchange them, but I would like to know if anyone has any success stories about lightening a leather which conditioner darkened?

Cheers,

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I live in the Vancouver area, and am a recent addict of Allen Edmonds (a whole different issue!). I'm lucky enough to live only 15 minutes from the US border. There are numerous mail depots on the US side, that you can just register with, and they will receive parcels. I simply have my shipping address registered to my name, but the US address with my registration number at the depot I use. With my Nexus pass, I can zip past any long lines at the border, pick up my package and be back home, all within an hour. As for duties, taxes, etc. I always fully declare, and sometimes the Cdn customs guys ding me, sometimes not. However, for any Canadians importing AE product, it's SUPER important to make it very clear they are MADE IN THE US. Zero duties on US-made products...only Cdn taxes. And currently, to better myself even one more, I've got an order on the way to my US address, and I'm flying to Vegas on Friday...out of Bellingham airport (20minutes south of the border). So I'm flying down for 4 days, and when I land back in Bellingham, driving past my US depot to pick up my package, declaring as part of my allowance for being in the US 48+ hours, and zero taxes! Works out great. Not sure how many Canadians on this board live close enough to the border, but this sure beats having AE ship directly to my Canadian home! Plus, free shipping within the US! All good...

You've got a pretty sweet set-up. I lived in Seattle for 7 years so I've been up that way quite a few times. That Sea-to-Sky highway they built is one of the most fantastic drives I've ever experienced!

BCer

Reaction score
You've got a pretty sweet set-up. I lived in Seattle for 7 years so I've been up that way quite a few times. That Sea-to-Sky highway they built is one of the most fantastic drives I've ever experienced!
Yes, there are many great drives and views - we take it too much for granted living here. BUT, as you know from living in Seattle...they don't call it a "rain forest" for nothing...pissing down here again today. Makes owning leather soled AE shoes a little extravagent. Have my rubber soled Ecco's on today while my AE's are resting comfortably in their shoe trees at home...haha. Hopefully spring & summer aren't too far away.

mattnv

Reaction score
Thanks
I live in the Vancouver area, and am a recent addict of Allen Edmonds (a whole different issue!).  I'm lucky enough to live only 15 minutes from the US border.  There are numerous mail depots on the US side, that you can just register with, and they will receive parcels.  I simply have my shipping address registered to my name, but the US address with my registration number at the depot I use.  With my Nexus pass, I can zip past any long lines at the border, pick up my package and be back home, all within an hour.  As for duties, taxes, etc.  I always fully declare, and sometimes the Cdn customs guys ding me, sometimes not.  However, for any Canadians importing AE product, it's SUPER important to make it very clear they are MADE IN THE US.  Zero duties on US-made products...only Cdn taxes.  And currently, to better myself even one more, I've got an order on the way to my US address, and I'm flying to Vegas on Friday...out of Bellingham airport (20minutes south of the border).  So I'm flying down for 4 days, and when I land back in Bellingham, driving past my US depot to pick up my package, declaring as part of my allowance for being in the US 48+ hours, and zero taxes!  Works out great.  Not sure how many Canadians on this board live close enough to the border, but this sure beats having AE ship directly to my Canadian home!  Plus, free shipping within the US!  All good...

Thanks for the info. I live in Quebec About 45 minutes away from the border. It's a great suggestion and will have to try that out. The shipping charges from AE directly to my house are a little rediculous especially since they offer free shipping in the US!

Pierce R

Reaction score
I'm in the NW, South Sound area. I recently heard a DJ giving the weather report:

"100% chance of rain today, highs in the forties, with partial clearing by June."

Variatio

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question - and if so, my excuses: Does the shoebank ship abroad as well, i.E. Germany?

Yes. After reading their reviews online (at the AE website) there is a customer who has an office in Dubai and they shipped his shoes there. I don't see why they couldn't ship them to Germany. Might take a call to customer service, but I'm sure they'll get it done without issue.

Unfortunately they don't. Today I received an answer from AE which clearly states "Factory seconds can’t be shipped out of the country". Too bad though.
butbut.gif

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unfortunately they don't. Today I received an answer from AE which clearly states "[SIZE=11pt][COLOR=1F497D]Factory seconds can’t be shipped out of the country[/COLOR][/SIZE]". Too bad though. :butbut:

Just use a mail forwarding company - shipto/myus or hopshopgo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads