Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kpag

kpag Well-Known Member

Just acquired some lightly used burgundy Sanfords. Debating between polishing them up to a high shine and trying to "antique" them with some black or maybe brown polish. I'm probably only going to wear them in more casual environments anyways, so I'm leaning toward that option, but I don't really know how to go about doing it. Any tips?

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

lol. This has come up before. It's really just that it's a good angle for taking photos. Think about it - most people are wearing these to work or lounging at home. They are sitting at their desk or on a couch and taking a picture with their cell phone. The easiest way to get a good, profile shot of the shoes is to cross one leg over the other.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  3. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Looks great!

So...are these horsey shoes? I think someone said that these were cordovan "colored".

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I only use AE leather lotion on my natual McTavishes. The color has not changed noticeable and the shoes look great.

Chris

5. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

you know, I still dont understand what people mean when they talk about the smell of cordovan....I got nothin when I smelt em. They just smelled like polish or maybe leather...nothing really outstanding from what I smelled of calf. Still enjoy my cordovans though.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  6. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Wearing the Lexingtons today (indoor/flash shot):

[​IMG]

7. PCinDC

PCinDC Member

Hello Gents,
    First post here, just joined this forum after lurking the marketplace for a little while. I'm a long time Allen Edmonds fan, with a current collection of Allen Edmonds as follows:

Black Calf Park Ave's
    Brown Burnished Fifth Street (question about these shortly)
    Black Calf Kenilworth
    Walnut Strand
    Grey Calf Dalton (ordered on closeout haven't actually received these yet)
    Bourbon Dalton

I also have 5 of their belts as I find them to be of far superior quality to other brands (Trafalgar, RL, etc), and that just-right balance of value and quality that defines the Allen Edmonds brand.

So I have a question - I actually just picked up the 5th Street boots yesterday from an AE retailer near me. When I got home, I applied some leather conditioner like I do with all of my shoes. Maybe this is needless.

Anyway, the conditioner darkened the boots and while they are still gorgeous, they lost a little character that the burnishing lent them. The retailer agreed to exchange them, but I would like to know if anyone has any success stories about lightening a leather which conditioner darkened?

Cheers,

8. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

You've got a pretty sweet set-up. I lived in Seattle for 7 years so I've been up that way quite a few times. That Sea-to-Sky highway they built is one of the most fantastic drives I've ever experienced!

9. BCer

BCer Senior member

Yes, there are many great drives and views - we take it too much for granted living here. BUT, as you know from living in Seattle...they don't call it a "rain forest" for nothing...pissing down here again today. Makes owning leather soled AE shoes a little extravagent. Have my rubber soled Ecco's on today while my AE's are resting comfortably in their shoe trees at home...haha. Hopefully spring & summer aren't too far away.

10. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Be sure to enjoy both months of good weather!

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

What, they have two July's nowadays?

12. mattnv

mattnv Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I live in Quebec About 45 minutes away from the border. It's a great suggestion and will have to try that out. The shipping charges from AE directly to my house are a little rediculous especially since they offer free shipping in the US!

13. Pierce R

Pierce R Well-Known Member

I'm in the NW, South Sound area. I recently heard a DJ giving the weather report:

"100% chance of rain today, highs in the forties, with partial clearing by June."

14. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they don't. Today I received an answer from AE which clearly states "Factory seconds can’t be shipped out of the country". Too bad though. [​IMG]

15. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Just use a mail forwarding company - shipto/myus or hopshopgo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.