• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Update on my new Amoks:

Received them and they look and feel great.

BUT...

After a few days of wear, the dreaded "squeak" has begun. I'll have to exchange them and see if the next pair does the same thing. Other than that issue, they are a great pair of chukkas.

Can you tell us if it uses the new heel or the old one? I have a theory that the new heel is causing the squeak.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Quote:
Can you give a description of the old/new heels? I just got a pair in snuff suede that are absolutely gorgeous. Haven't worn them outside yet so I can't report on any squeaks

jjr4884

Reaction score
Dang... I grabbed some purple and green but no orange. I figured the purple would be good for the purple shirt days and the green to wear for Saint Patrick's Day...

Maybe I'll run by the AE store after work and pick up a few more colors.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you give a description of the old/new heels? I just got a pair in snuff suede that are absolutely gorgeous. Haven't worn them outside yet so I can't report on any squeaks

Old:

New:

It seems that they are transitioning to the V-tread toplift across the board. From what I can tell, the V-tread toplift is a bit softer than the original toplift. Perhaps it may not "clack" as loudly when it strikes the floor, and it may have slightly different wear characteristics. As for being more prone to squeaking, I would be surprised if it made a difference, but who knows.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Quote:

very interesting- thanks for the info! For what its worth, the amok has been dealing with squeaking issues ever since it came out more than a year ago, from what I read on this board and the AE reviews. Regardless, Snuff is the way to go with this shoe! I considered both the brogue and snuff, and after receiving them in person, snuff is much more distinctive (reminds me of the alden unlined suede chukka) IMO

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who recently ordered shoes from the shoe bank, did you guys get hit by any extra costs? I got a pair of the shell Patriots for $179 along with a $25 shipping cost. Bank statement says a total cost of $232. The only thing I can think of is that the shoe bank added taxes into it, but that doesn't make sense because they've never done that before.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
Well, living only one state next to Wisconsin means that the brown shell cordovan Patriots I ordered from the AE shoe bank yesterday arrived today. The shoes look fantastic and looks to be first quality. The brown shell looks pretty much exactly like Alden's cigar shell to me, although I won't be able to compare it to my cigar LWB's until tonight. So at $179 they are definitely a steal.

They feel good in the toe box and heel, but it does feel a little tight around the instep area. However, I've owned a few pairs of loafers that felt tighter to start out and became very comfortable after some wear, so I feel pretty confident that the tightness will go away in time. I'm a big fan of the Alden LHS and initially these look like they will be a killer substitute for the LHS.

On to some pics!

Rendenbach leather soles

Color comparison with the cappuccino shell Dundees I was wearing today

On foot

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

For those who recently ordered shoes from the shoe bank, did you guys get hit by any extra costs? I got a pair of the shell Patriots for $179 along with a $25 shipping cost. Bank statement says a total cost of $232. The only thing I can think of is that the shoe bank added taxes into it, but that doesn't make sense because they've never done that before.

I got hit with about $8.50 worth of tax for the shell Patriots, even though my state doesn't charge sales tax for shoes. But since these are such a steal anyway, I'm not going to worry about it.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Well, living only one state next to Wisconsin means that the brown shell cordovan Patriots I ordered from the AE shoe bank yesterday arrived today. The shoes look fantastic and looks to be first quality. The brown shell looks pretty much exactly like Alden's cigar shell to me, although I won't be able to compare it to my cigar LWB's until tonight. So at $179 they are definitely a steal.

They feel good in the toe box and heel, but it does feel a little tight around the instep area. However, I've owned a few pairs of loafers that felt tighter to start out and became very comfortable after some wear, so I feel pretty confident that the tightness will go away in time. I'm a big fan of the Alden LHS and initially these look like they will be a killer substitute for the LHS.

On to some pics!

Rendenbach leather soles

On foot

Great pics! They look like a great fit on you. Other than the instep issue, any other initial fit comments (i.e. vs other AE shoes)?

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I recently hopped on the 2 for 250 promo and just noticed on my statement that I was billed just over 260. I suspect it has to do with if AE has retail stores in your state then you may be responsible for local sales tax.

I snagged a pair of Shell McGraws for 125 as part of that deal, so I'm not going to complain!

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Old:
New:
It seems that they are transitioning to the V-tread toplift across the board. From what I can tell, the V-tread toplift is a bit softer than the original toplift. Perhaps it may not "clack" as loudly when it strikes the floor, and it may have slightly different wear characteristics. As for being more prone to squeaking, I would be surprised if it made a difference, but who knows.
My theory is just based on the fact that none of my shoes with the old heels squeak.
Is it possible that they opened a store or entity in your state since the last itme you ordered?
Well, living only one state next to Wisconsin means that the brown shell cordovan Patriots I ordered from the AE shoe bank yesterday arrived today. The shoes look fantastic and looks to be first quality. The brown shell looks pretty much exactly like Alden's cigar shell to me, although I won't be able to compare it to my cigar LWB's until tonight. So at $179 they are definitely a steal. They feel good in the toe box and heel, but it does feel a little tight around the instep area. However, I've owned a few pairs of loafers that felt tighter to start out and became very comfortable after some wear, so I feel pretty confident that the tightness will go away in time. I'm a big fan of the Alden LHS and initially these look like they will be a killer substitute for the LHS. On to some pics!
Rendenbach leather soles
On foot
Did you size TTS or sized down?

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
Well, living only one state next to Wisconsin means that the brown shell cordovan Patriots I ordered from the AE shoe bank yesterday arrived today. The shoes look fantastic and looks to be first quality. The brown shell looks pretty much exactly like Alden's cigar shell to me, although I won't be able to compare it to my cigar LWB's until tonight. So at $179 they are definitely a steal. They feel good in the toe box and heel, but it does feel a little tight around the instep area. However, I've owned a few pairs of loafers that felt tighter to start out and became very comfortable after some wear, so I feel pretty confident that the tightness will go away in time. I'm a big fan of the Alden LHS and initially these look like they will be a killer substitute for the LHS. On to some pics!
Rendenbach leather soles Color comparison with the cappuccino shell Dundees I was wearing today On foot
Great pics! They look like a great fit on you. Other than the instep issue, any other initial fit comments (i.e. vs other AE shoes)?
I'm not sure how it compares to other AE lasts, since the AE lasts I've tried in 9D (1, 5, 7) all fit me pretty well. I think it probably is closest to the 1 last. The toe box has ample room without feeling loose, and the heel is spot on for me (I'm not sure if my heel is considered normal or narrow). Once the instep tightness (which isn't bad at all, just tighter than a typical worn pair of loafers) goes away, it should feel great all around. The Alden Van last is one of the best fitting lasts for my feet, and the Patriot feels about the same except for the aforementioned instep tightness.
Did you size TTS or sized down?
I went TTS (only choice in this case since they only had them at 9D). I would say the Patriot fits TTS based on how it fits me.

spitshine123

Reaction score
I recently hopped on the 2 for 250 promo and just noticed on my statement that I was billed just over 260. I suspect it has to do with if AE has retail stores in your state then you may be responsible for local sales tax.

I snagged a pair of Shell McGraws for 125 as part of that deal, so I'm not going to complain!
Wow, shell McGraws for 125... very impressive. Even a better deal than the Patriots for 179! Truly some steals to be had lately.

jjr4884

Reaction score

What size and color are those McGraws? pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads