• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJTraveler

Reaction score

ckprax

Reaction score

No, the better course would be to try the 8.5 E, which is a little wider than a 9D.  A 9E would be a more significant jump in width.  Works for some, but not all. 

Look at his feet, they are bursting out of the shoe, he has a high instep and needs more volume. An 8.5E is very similar to 9D which does not appear to fit, a 9E should help close the laces and give him more room all around. In my experience the PA runs a little larger than the same size strand so that should help as well. The best answer is really for him to try a few sizes and see for himself.

I have a high instep as well and when I first purchased my strands in 10D they looked very similar. I exchanged them for 10E and am glad I did. They are a little roomy in the toe box but the overall fit is much better and the laces are much closer to closing. The truth is, the 5 last is not ideal for those of us with high insteps, but with RTW we make do.

Last edited:

wdahab

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

No, the better course would be to try the 8.5 E, which is a little wider than a 9D.  A 9E would be a more significant jump in width.  Works for some, but not all. 

I agree. When you get a bit wider, your toes might slide a bit farther forward, necessitating a shorter shoe. That'll allow your instep more room, more material in the eyelet stays, but not make your foot slide around.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polish no, i'll hit them quick with my "dirty" horse hair brush, then I will use the cleaner/plastic brush kit thing that I got directly from Clarks. I never put the protectant spray on them at first, so there is some water spots and discoloration. But I don't polish them... that would be interesting lol
I have a buddy that on his first week with tans spilled milk all over them.
Dickhead.

ckprax

Reaction score

I agree. When you get a bit wider, your toes might slide a bit farther forward, necessitating a shorter shoe. That'll allow your instep more room, more material in the eyelet stays, but not make your foot slide around.

When your instep prevents the laces from closing, it will also keep your feet from sliding forward. At least that has been my experience.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was wondering if anyone else has had any trouble with the sizing of the Manistee belt. I recently ordered a basic wide belt in chili and a manistee belt in merlot/burgundy. The AE website suggests ordering a belt a full size larger than your pants size. I typically wear a 35 or 36 (depending on the cut, etc), so I ordered both belts in size 38. The strange thing is that the length of the two belts is identical, but the hole placement is completely different. I can just barely wear the manistee using the inside-most hole. Even then, I wish it were a tad tighter. Meanwhile, I can wear the wide basic belt with one of the middle holes, and it fits just about perfectly. Any reason why the holes on the different belts would be laid out differently? It seems to be a strange decision IMO.

I don't have the Manistee belt, but I do have 3 wide basic dress belts (which, IMO, are more business casual to even straight-up casual). FWIW, 2 of them fit the exact same, and one has holes that start a bit further from the tip. AE makes its wide basic belts "tight" - that is, where I usually wear a belt on the 4th hole (2nd from the tightest), on AE's belts (in the same size as my others) I have to go to the middle hole or even one looser.

g-banger

Reaction score

Look at his feet, they are bursting out of the shoe, he has a high instep and needs more volume. An 8.5E is very similar to 9D which does not appear to fit, a 9E should help close the laces and give him more room all around. In my experience the PA runs a little larger than the same size strand so that should help as well. The best answer is really for him to try a few sizes and see for himself.

I have a high instep as well and when I first purchased my strands in 10D they looked very similar. I exchanged them for 10E and am glad I did. They are a little roomy in the toe box but the overall fit is much better and the laces are much closer to closing. The truth is, the 5 last is not ideal for those of us with high insteps, but with RTW we make do.

Guys - i really appreciate your feedback!

I've been wearing my strands all day and they feel great. Unfortunately i live in Australia soi cant get into a AE store, im going to have to wing it and order a pair of 8.5E
thanks again!

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UGHHHHHH the 8 is my favorite last.

WHYYYYYY won't AE bring back the mora?!?!?!?!
musicboohoo[1].gif
You can still get the Mora. Paul Grangaard, AE's CEO did a Reddit session about 6 months ago and offered it without the special makeup price if you email him and mention his Reddit session: http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashion...m_paul_grangaard_allen_edmonds_pres_ceo_amaa/ . Just search for "mora" and you'll find it. He's a pretty classy guy. He helped me get ahold of a pair of Wendells after they discontinued them. I wonder if you can special order them in suede? Knowing me, though, I'd probably ask for them in the orange football leather.
bounce2.gif
Not sure if he'll do it for anyone, or just the guy who asked the question, but it's probably worth a try if you really want it.

Last edited:

mimogger

Reaction score
What's the general opinion on the smoky gray McTavish's? I'm leaning towards getting them because they're pretty cheap and they'd fit the role of casual shoes well, but I'm unsure of how to wear them. The shoes seem fairly light in color, which would mean I could not really wear them for work (at least a tie everyday). I'm unsure of belt as well.

They seem so damn cool though. I also have my eyes on olive neumonks as well but these are a full 100 dollars cheaper.

Septimus

Reaction score
Speaking of giving shoes to those in need...

Look what I just received in the mail:

AE Yumas (foreground) and BB Bison Boots in the back.  

All thanks to the generosity of Cold Iron from this very thread!

(Cold Iron, I'll be donating something for Soles 4 Souls.  If AE does the honor-system thing online that they did last year, feel free to make use of it!)

Last edited:

zchen

Reaction score
(Cold Iron, I'll be donating something for Soles 4 Souls. If AE does the honor-system thing online that they did last year, feel free to make use of it!)

It looks like it will be live soon.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/Soles4soulsView?storeId=1&catalogId=40000000001&langId=-1
"Any brand of gently worn men's, women's or children's shoes can be donated. No purchase necessary to donate shoes. Offer must be redeemed at the time of donation. Offer not redeemable for cash. Limit one $35 discount per pair of Allen Edmonds purchased. Offer only redeemable on Allen Edmonds shoes. Offer not valid on previous purchases. Not redeemable with any other offer. Discount not eligible on belts or other accessories. Offer only valid at participating Allen Edmonds Retail Stores, Outlet Stores, allenedmonds.com and select authorized dealers. Offer valid
2/22/13-3/10/13. Only valid on current factory-second shoes at Allen Edmonds Outlet Stores. Soles4Souls Inc. is a 501(c)(3) recognized by the IRS and donating parties are eligible for tax advantages."

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, your thoughts on the AE patriot in black calf?
I am looking for an black AE loafer to wear with light colored pants and chinos. I will not, however, get any corrected grain.
Open to suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads