1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Brooks Brothers sells many pairs of AEs that are not advertised as such:

And of course, some that are branded as such. I originally compiled this link at the Dappered.com forums.

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks for the update. Do you have a picture of creasing there? My ridge is actually convex instead of concave, so I wouldn't expect it to crease there. It actually feels like there's too much structure underneath that is pushing out.

As for the sole, mine was a regular leather sole, so I don't think it's it's a problem with the combination tap sole.

3. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

4. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

The BB Strand in dark brown is a very rich brown in person. Much better than the photos.

CH

5. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Hi DG, here are a couple pics of mine. I love them, and of the 9 pair of AE I own, they are no doubt one of my favorites. Look amazing with a navy suit, but I also wear them with a charcoal suit, grey slacks, etc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

The BB Strand in dark brown is a very rich brown in person. Much better than the photos.

CH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

For your consideration, please see the following picture of my Brown Waxy Leather Long Branches. The were worn on holiday in Banff this past weekend. The harshest element they were exposed to was light rain. They turn this whitish, distressed-looking shade each time they're exposed to adverse weather. They did it in the snow this winter as well.

[​IMG]

Thoughts? The other boot has been treated with Renovateur. It always does the trick, but I would like to know if there's something I can treat them with to prevent this down the road.

Thanks.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I took this today but it's probably not detailed enough to see well but if you look at the left foot you can see it start to crease on the same line as the stitching. It doesn't do this on the right shoe but my left is larger so that could have something to do with it. It makes it seem like the toe is a bit raised. It's not the most perfect place for a crease but that's where the shoe wants to crease. My walnut with leather sole in the same size only creases along the vamp.

[​IMG]

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Try to get in touch with cold iron he has a lot of experiance with boots used hard

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  10. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Looks like you're on the same hunt as I am! I picked up a pair of Greenwich's myself a few weeks ago. Now I'm looking for the Manhattan in chili or brown, Westgate in black and Fairfax in merlot.

11. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Interesting; I wouldn't've expected this. I'll let you know how my replacements look. Hopefully third time is the charm!

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Sorry for the bump, but I was curious if anyone had experience with shoe stretchers for this situation. I realize that a pair that fits perfectly right off the bat is ideal, but I wouldn't be able to afford customer orders, and to be honest both feet are within half a width size according to a Brannock device. I think finding a tiny bit more room for my right pinky toe would be the right move, if it's actually that easy.

13. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Thats just the sort of thing shoe streachers are made for . If I had the issue with just one pair id take em to a cobbler but if this is a common problem for you and your handy it might be worth investing in one for diy . If they are shell thats another story .

14. md2010

md2010 Senior member

^^^^^ I have just discovered an unorthodox way of stretching shoes. Very effective and works within in 10 minutes. I will create a new thread and discuss with pictures tutorials. So keep an eye out !

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Why is that?

16. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Has a tendency to split when stretched^^^^^

17. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I have stretched a pair of Shell Cordovan RL Marlow PTB yesterday. Took me 10 minutes ! Details coming soon !

18. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Are dark brown shoes a no go with black slacks/suits?

19. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Everyone has an opinion but I would vote no. Additionally I rarely see a need for a black suit, a dark charcol can usually substitute for a black suit.

20. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

Yes. Absolutely a no go. You can do dark brown with a mid charcoal grey, and I do regularly. But the darkest charcoal that almost appears black, I tend to stick to black and merlot/burgundy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.