• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Don, can you post a couple pics of your Miro double monks? Saw them at Nordstrom and am thinking of picking them up. Would love to see pics of yours. J

Sure thing.
These are some I posted before:

They do have a bit of an elongated last to them but that just adds an Italian look to them IMO
Great shoe nonetheless.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

Thanks for the comments all.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what do you wear them with? I wear suits Monday to Thursday and business casual on Friday. My normal rotation Monday to Thursday is black captoes (Meermin) and walnut Strands (AE) with something a bit more casual on Friday like a brown suede chukka.

I may be bucking the trend, but I'm wearing them with a great suit today. Perhaps not SF approved, but I like the look.

tjyoung

Reaction score
Sure thing.
These are some I posted before:

They do have a bit of an elongated last to them but that just adds an Italian look to them IMO
Great shoe nonetheless.

Do you not buckle the top buckle when you wear these? I'm curious as I have the Neumora.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have PM.

Next two shoes on my list are definitely the Chili Waltons and the Brown Cordovan Strand (you guys can have all the Cappuccino; leave the brown for me). I'm going to see if I can wait for a sale, but I was so impressed with these two (actually, the Cordovan Strands been on the radar for a while), that I might buy sooner rather than later. And also just go for firsts.

Norwich also looks great in Cordovan, but I can't wear the 2 last.
And thank you very much for the PM good sir!

I have the Walnut Shell Strand's and the toe caps are dark, close enough to the Brown Shell Strand's that purchasing them would be redundant for me. Great shoe, and I think a great choice.
You got Alden! Excellent pick-up gettin Ravello. I'm on the other end with Alden shell and previously owning a pair of Cambridges. Do you have the AE with the "new" finish? How do they compare with Alden's finishing gloss?
Yes I have some AE with new and old finish. The newer I like a lot more for the most part. However I have to admit that neither one compares to the Alden glossy finish, however that is based only on one pair. But judging by the comments of several people on here think that is the case in general. That doesn't mean that I still don't love AE shell however...
smile.gif

This has been knocking around in the back of my head for the last several months, so last weekend I tried a poor-man's version of the technique above.

I wadded up a very small portion of old cotton t-shirt and screwed it to the end of a Dremel attachment, then went to town with that contraption (set to the lowest spindle speed) on my shell Daltons. No photos at the moment -- but the MacGyvering was justified by the end result. It wasn't quite torquey enough to work up a real shine but the surface is much better than it used to be, and my arm doesn't feel like it's going to fall off from brushing.
Outstanding! I read a few weeks ago that Dremel actually sold a shoe shine attachment at one time. Yeah I know what you mean by arm falling off. Yesterday morning woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep so brushed 2 pair of shoes for an hour and a half. In the end it was worth it but it takes a lot of work to get there. One pair I did was the walnut shell Dalton's which I am wearing today. I DID get the memo that today was wear your Dalton's day. Crappy indoor picture with even worse lighting:

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know what you mean by arm falling off. Yesterday morning woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep so brushed 2 pair of shoes for an hour and a half. In the end it was worth it but it takes a lot of work to get there. One pair I did was the walnut shell Dalton's which I am wearing today.
Was yesterday the universal insomniac shoe polish day?
I did the same thing with two pairs of mine. I was experimenting a bit with spit shine techniques.
Don't have any pics since the shoes are at home and i'm at work.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did the same thing with two pairs of mine. I was experimenting a bit with spit shine techniques.

And me, too... Spent a couple hours watching TV and brushing my MacNeils...

TurboTropic

Reaction score

I may be bucking the trend, but I'm wearing them with a great suit today. Perhaps not SF approved, but I like the look.

Well Daltons are marketed as being dress boots so I don't think you're wrong. I am just a bit timid about wearing them with a suit because I've never owned dress boots before.

spitshine123

Reaction score
Well Daltons are marketed as being dress boots so I don't think you're wrong. I am just a bit timid about wearing them with a suit because I've never owned dress boots before.
I have the same problem with the RL Illfords. Beautiful boots, but I don't have much experience as to what I can wear them with. Any recommendations?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One final comment on creasing on cap toe shoes, if the shoe fits wear it.

Normally, I would not expect creasing on the cap itself. However, I have noticed that AE toe caps are not uniform in length vis-a-vis shoe size. That and AE size recommendations are not always correct. I have a pretty high tolerance for variations in appearance, so the creasing displayed in the previous photos is not an issue to me. Nevertheless,.I always recommend a proper fitting prior to drawing any conclusions.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Each time I see those, donjuan, I rethink the idea of double monks and start reaching for the wallet.

Now, on a different note, ever since I had a cobbler add a couple more sets of eyelets to the Saunders I picked up, I'm really liking them a lot more. It's just a much better fit (and it made the lace length more appropriate).

Last edited:

jjr4884

Reaction score

lol really???? too funny, same with me haha i polished hmm... lemme see

Bourbon Strands - Reno
Cole Haan PTBoot - Reno and AE Walnut polish
Merlot McAllister - Hit it with my "dirty" brush then sprayed some water on my merlot brush and brought the shine back to life, sole dressing
Neumora - Reno, then water, sole dressing
Magnanni cap toes - brought the shine back to life, little water

At this point, f the world

Reno and polish for the shell strands. I am loving the fact that they are lightening up a bit. The dark polish from AE sucks, give them a chocolate color rather than that awesome medium brown that they are.

6 pairs of shoes, took a couple hours, loved every second of it. I felt lost a couple days ago when my shoes were disorganized in my closet and were in need of some TLC. I will hit my walnut strands with a quick brush tonight, and I think I'll give my Clarks a scrub as well (tan and chocolate chukkas).. and my Ugg boots. No laughing, picture gray chukkas with a white sneaker sole, comfy and casual and certainly don't look like your typical "ugg"

delmar

Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised to find two pairs of Neumoks by the door today. They were ordered a week or two apart. Olive and football webgems. Tried on to ensure fit and took pictures.
th_IMG_0006_zpsc6fb4a0d.jpg
th_IMG_0004_zps6f30bc55.jpg
th_IMG_0003_zpse82ba89e.jpg
th_IMG_0002_zpsd299d2a5.jpg
th_IMG_0001_zpsa078f26f.jpg
th_IMG_0005_zpsc495d3e8.jpg

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Pleasantly surprised to find two pairs of Neumoks by the door today. They were ordered a week or two apart. Olive and football webgems. Tried on to ensure fit and took pictures.
th_IMG_0006_zpsc6fb4a0d.jpg
th_IMG_0004_zps6f30bc55.jpg
th_IMG_0003_zpse82ba89e.jpg
th_IMG_0002_zpsd299d2a5.jpg
th_IMG_0001_zpsa078f26f.jpg
th_IMG_0005_zpsc495d3e8.jpg

Could you post larger pictures of the football grain?

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful Don, thx again

Anytime. Let me know what you decide on.

Each time I see those, donjuan, I rethink the idea of double monks and start reaching for the wallet.

Now, on a different note, ever since I had a cobbler add a couple more sets of eyelets to the Saunders I picked up, I'm really liking them a lot more. It's just a much better fit (and it made the lace length more appropriate).

Thanks bro. Anything I can do to sway your beliefs haha

On your other note, are those Saunders black suede? My google search seems to imply they shouldn't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads