• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now here's a question.

What was your first pair of Allen Edmonds and where did you get them from?

For me, it was a Factory 2nd walnut Fifth Ave from the website, and I bought that specific shoe because it was the most discounted of the "classic" AE dress shoes.
Age 34 in 2018. Park Ave (black) on v tread and Fifth Ave (brown) on Dainite. Combo meal deal from Boston State St.

In store photos from 30 March 2018. Look at that Ferragamoin’ lace gap during try on. Jesus. I thought I was a BIG DEAL walking out of the store with that big bag.
3D95D6EC-2C69-48A5-B7BE-3D42065153B8.png
208E10B8-8B48-46DF-9500-B3A3A6B6877E.png

Last edited:

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hate to break it to you, but I don't think you're using the right products for conditioning those HMs. Neatsfoot oil, I get. But high-mileage Mobil 1 oil? That's asking for trouble. I get that there are probably a lot of miles on your HMs, but it's Bick4 or VSC or GTFO.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but I don't think you're using the right products for conditioning those HMs. Neatsfoot oil, I get. But high-mileage Mobil 1 oil? That's asking for trouble. I get that there are probably a lot of miles on your HMs, but it's Bick4 or VSC or GTFO.
No word of a lie—I just spilled used oil all over the left boot. (Rubbed it in.)

BC42B4CD-F3A7-454F-96A1-BF5DD61EB232.jpeg
549E9E2F-B0F3-4496-9227-D1D01E6C2455.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now here's a question.

For me, it was a Factory 2nd walnut Fifth Ave from the website, and I bought that specific shoe because it was the most discounted of the "classic" AE dress shoes.
Leyland weave loafers in old chili. Nordstrom rack in DFW, thanksgiving weekend 2008. $150. Not a good fit for my foot in actuality, so as I got better fitting pairs they were allowed to wander freely.
I wish I could have them again on the 606 or 2042.
68D5DEC3-1ED6-4CDD-8342-6C2AEA868ACF.png

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now here's a question.

That Sir, is a Facebook question. If you can remember your first AE, then you have not bought enough

Reaction score
Now here's a question.

My first was a pair of merlot Park Avenues in early-mid 2000s (either late college or early grad school gift; I can't remember when exactly). My parents bought them for me and they were bought at a local menswear shop (sadly closed now). This was my first pair of "real" dress shoes that also fit properly. I went in and tried on various shoes and eventually the salesman walked out with the PAs in a 10AA. Imagine a brick-and-mortar store carrying that size, in stock, now! 🙀

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Age 34 in 2018. Park Ave (black) on v tread and Fifth Ave (brown) on Dainite. Combo meal deal from Boston State St.

In store photos from 30 March 2018. Look at that Ferragamoin’ lace gap during try on. Jesus. I thought I was a BIG DEAL walking out of the store with that big bag.
View attachment 1794051 View attachment 1794052

35 here. So older than the kid, younger than you!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I no longer have my 1st pair, which was a chili Ashton. But this was my 2nd pair (the Malone). It was one of those Black Friday discounted models made from "end of the year" leathers. I still have this pair in my closet, but it's only being kept because of nostalgia. I never use them anymore and they are my ugliest. Still, holding them brings back good memories of when I first discovered AE. I was very interested in split toes at the beginning.

IMG_2183.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads