• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad (kinda, but very sympathetic) to hear I'm not the only person with flat feet. Sorry to those who suffer the same pain as I do when standing all day.

LOW volume and flat feet here. Plus neuropathy and pretty bad inflammation. Makes it to wear most days I do not look forward to lacing up any pair of shoes. Not ideal when you have an addiction affinity for buying shoes.

I have slowly come around to the fact that I need some type of insert, both to provide ample (but not too rigid) support and to fill the volume so that I don't get creasing that folds into the top of my foot. Slowly, because I do not want to replace dozens and dozens of old models.

Always love to hear lasts - AE, that other 'A' (which I know little to nothing about), or any other manufacturer - that work for similar folks.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The salt is everywhere at work so lug sole although I guess dainite would work too.
View attachment 1739761

Each time I see this color I want something in it. I am especially drawn to the contrast stitching, which makes me miss the old MTO/GMTO days. In fact, I seem to recall something green with contrast stitching from back in the day.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to taking a couple of pics. This is the newest of my 3 colors. It also fits the best. All 11.5 b.
I like olive/green and it is my favorite last.
I can certainly understand the last doesn't always work for wider widths but this feels like it was made for me.
I wish AE would make this in brown and burgundy calf or offer it again in a suede trunk shoe. I regret not ordering those.
View attachment 1739904 View attachment 1739905
Another B widther here. Liverpool fits me like a glove. Wearing the classic black today
B11C9F94-A1D5-46DA-B6CF-15825E42A1C6.jpeg

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOW volume and flat feet here. Plus neuropathy and pretty bad inflammation. Makes it to wear most days I do not look forward to lacing up any pair of shoes. Not ideal when you have an addiction affinity for buying shoes.

I have slowly come around to the fact that I need some type of insert, both to provide ample (but not too rigid) support and to fill the volume so that I don't get creasing that folds into the top of my foot. Slowly, because I do not want to replace dozens and dozens of old models.

Always love to hear lasts - AE, that other 'A' (which I know little to nothing about), or any other manufacturer - that work for similar folks.
Problem with me is that I'm so stubborn that I won't likely admit there's something wrong with my feet (similar to my vision) so I just deal with it. Obviously, not the right approach and I feel like if I ever get fitted for orthotics that it'll be life changing (like when I got my first set of glasses), but until then, I just tolerate the pain and take various breaks throughout the day, enjoying a cup of coffee and sitting down.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Flat lasts - 79 (not low volume), 555, 722
Low volume lasts - 222 (high cone), 42N, Leydon

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to taking a couple of pics. This is the newest of my 3 colors. It also fits the best. All 11.5 b.
I like olive/green and it is my favorite last.
I can certainly understand the last doesn't always work for wider widths but this feels like it was made for me.
I wish AE would make this in brown and burgundy calf or offer it again in a suede trunk shoe. I regret not ordering those.
View attachment 1739904 View attachment 1739905

The olive Liverpool is the best in my opinion, but I just saw now that AE has brought back the walnut, black and also added a chili version. Have to say, the chili version looks great. It also brings me some joy to see AE is bringing back some nice styles. I think most of us agree we would rather see the Liverpool return than the new Freeport loafer.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
Comparison photos:

C54C14F4-BADE-49A8-BDD8-155CBEF37E41.jpeg
11E82DC6-B858-432C-929B-15D2417C80FA.jpeg
2504CADD-B130-4129-AD9D-E9E1AA9EEF63.jpeg

One note is the Sullivan in the middle (511 last) is a 9.5 EEE the other two are 9 EEE

the 511 and 65 are much more elegant lasts (for AE) compared to the Chapman.

Bonus comparison: Loden (marked olive in box and invoice) HM vs. Green Chapman.

07E6468E-260A-4EC1-B5C0-E40E483BE0ED.jpeg
0C8983DC-7606-4A55-BC9D-9ADC6D4C9A8E.jpeg
0DD532DF-959A-4CB1-A8FF-D0A2BB2175CB.jpeg

I didn’t realize the HM had the XL sole. Not a fan of that. The itshide is so much better. Trying to decide if I will keep it.

Attachments

• 30F3D8D6-9285-4CAE-9ECB-68C6F2EBFBAF.jpeg
    30F3D8D6-9285-4CAE-9ECB-68C6F2EBFBAF.jpeg
    175.2 KB · Views: 24

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looked at Chapman on the AE website. Described as built on 2215 last, but no description of this last is provided on the website. My best fitting AE boot (10D) is the Saukville, with Hamiltons a close second (I wear these with an orthotic insert). In the Strandmok I had to go down 1/2 size and had to return a pair of Landons as there was enormous volume in the instep in a 10D. Can you compare this boot last to any of these others to help me determine if I should order my standaard (Brannock) measurement or size down (or up)?

Thanks in advance.
My experience is that it fits much tighter than say the Landon. I have my Landon and HM in 9.5B. Landon is best fit in that size with HM being slightly tighter but only around the instep. My Chapman combat boot is comparable to my HM in a 9.5D. But my sizing just isn’t what normal people experience.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The olive Liverpool is the best in my opinion, but I just saw now that AE has brought back the walnut, black and also added a chili version. Have to say, the chili version looks great. It also brings me some joy to see AE is bringing back some nice styles. I think most of us agree we would rather see the Liverpool return than the new Freeport loafer.

The Liverpool is one of the few old school lasts, that my wife is indifferent to. She thinks it is closer to a bicycle toe than we all want to admit.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Alden shops recommend TTS for Trubal, so it sounds like you're one of such cases. I take the same size in TB and 1757, just down a width (11EEE 1757, 11EE TB)

I got fitted for Indys by a salesman at Culwell & Son in Dallas that had previously worked for Brown Shoe Co. for 20-30 years. This guy knew sizing. Said 9 of 10 folks properly fitted needed to go down a halfsize for an Indy. He said I was the one in ten who did not due to my high instep. So my 10.5E in almost every AE last is my correct size for an Indy, too.

Fun fact: in 2015 Brown Shoe changed its name to ….

Caleres.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads