• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What's the construction on these Italians -- the traditional Bologna or something else?
It is what AE refers to as cemented Bologna. It does have a true rapid stitch. The Newton, I believe it is called, does have a better fit characteristic than any of the other models that I have tried.

Garrister

Reaction score
It is what AE refers to as cemented Bologna. It does have a true rapid stitch. The Newton, I believe it is called, does have a better fit characteristic than any of the other models that I have tried.
Interesting. I have a shoe called Moderna, which was made in Italy by AE in the traditional Bologna construction. Your shoes look great but very different from those shoes. Your shoe almost looks a like a welted shoe -- especially with that outsole/Rapid stitch and the thicker soles. I assume those cannot be re-soled easily if at all.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting. I have a shoe called Moderna, which was made in Italy by AE in the traditional Bologna construction. Your shoes look great but very different from those shoes. Your shoe almost looks a like a welted shoe -- especially with that outsole/Rapid stitch and the thicker soles. I assume those cannot be re-soled easily if at all.
Actually, my Cobbler said they would be easier than most. But an AE is the easiest shoe to resole.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non AE related-

I am looking into getting a pair of boots to wear when I visit job sites in various stages of completion (I'm in the architecture field now, for those who weren't aware). I do not need them to have steel toes, but I do need them to have a tread because I'll be walking on uneven surfaces. I'd like them to be waterproof. They need to be $200 or less.

I'm looking at Sorel primarily, but have also looked at Thursday. I'm just not familiar enough with Thursday to understand if they'd hold up, and if any of their products will resist weather the way I'm hoping.

1. Any opinions on either brand?
2. Any additional suggestions?

Serious bonus points if I can wear them outside of a worksite environment.
I have not tried Sorel or Thursday boots. In general, I agree with the recommendations of Chippewa and Thorogood.
Another option to consider is Solovair. Solovair made boots in England for Doc Marten for many years — until Doc Marten decided to move most production to Asia. Solovair still makes their own boots in England, and the price is pretty reasonable. Solovair even has a variety of leather colors (purple, for example!) that might interest you.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non AE related-

I am looking into getting a pair of boots to wear when I visit job sites in various stages of completion (I'm in the architecture field now, for those who weren't aware). I do not need them to have steel toes, but I do need them to have a tread because I'll be walking on uneven surfaces. I'd like them to be waterproof. They need to be $200 or less.

I'm looking at Sorel primarily, but have also looked at Thursday. I'm just not familiar enough with Thursday to understand if they'd hold up, and if any of their products will resist weather the way I'm hoping.

A lot will be dictated by the style you're looking for, I'm sure all of the options mentioned by others will be perfectly functional and plenty durable.

Thursday Boots is the natural starting point: I personally like the Diplomat moc toe, and the President cap toe boot comes in tons of styles that are more or less feminine.

Grant Stone has some 6-6.5 in their final sale section and also B-grades section. Best quality you'll see anywhere for $200, though no returns on these. Customer service is great for sizing help though.

Thorogood is a good true work boot but pushes your cost up to $250.

Also, hard impossible to beat those Chippewa's on Amazon linked earlier for $50 if you like them. Consider adding an insert for comfort as the stock insole isn't great.

Good luck!!

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non AE related-

Is there a reason you haven't grabbed a pair of Freeports or a lug-soled pair of HMs and called it a day? Both of those would do most of what you need them to do, and look great. And, if I remember correctly, you may know a couple of people who work there, and could help you out.

If you're that the site visits will be infrequent, you'll probably be fine in whatever lug-soled boots you come up with. But, if they'll be fairly frequent, you may want to consider actual "work" boots.

I've got a good amount of AE boots, but I do have a pair of designated work boots for the garage. They're Thorogood moc toes with a steel toe and wedge soles, and they are beasts that I wouldn't trade for anything when I'm working. I wanted a MiUSA pair for working that were a little more protective on the off-chance I drop a giant timber on them, or some other accident waiting to happen. And they were more affordable at around $225 than a comparable pair of Red Wings.

Of course, all this is moot because I don't think Thorogood makes boots in 6.5 or below, and I think they've discontinued their line for women. But I write this to say you might want to ask more of your boots besides being weatherproof, have a tread, be under $200, and be attractive enough to wear off-site.

Based on what I'm reading, I think you'll also want the following:
• Lug soles. Wedge soles are great if you're on your feet for long periods on concrete floors, but not so great for uneven surfaces, and they're awful if you ever have to climb a ladder. You'll need something with an actual heel. Get. The. Lugs.

• Something with laces. You may be looking at chelseas and be thinking it would be easy to slip them on and off when you get to sites and, according to my college-aged daughter, they're "super-cute." But, if you're going to be on uneven surfaces, you're asking to turn an ankle at some point with the elastic sides on them. Get. The. Laces.

• Some kind of toe protection. I'm not saying you need a steel toe, but there are tons of composite toes out there that are lighter. As a guy who suffered a significant foot injury in his younger days that nearly led to amputation (no footwear in the world could have prevented the damage), I can tell you that you should protect what you've got. If you're going to be at job sites in various stages of completion, there will be various things that can hurt you. Get. The. Protection.

Since you're considering Thursday boots, it may be that MiUSA is important to you. If it is, take a look at Danner. They have some MiUSA options that should be sub $200. Same goes for Chippewa. And Carolina. If I'm mistaken about the sizing of Thorogoods, you should definitely give them a look. Also, there are some Keen work boots that are MiUSA. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but it's been a while since I was in the market for a pair.

If MiUSA isn't a dealbreaker, some of the imported Red Wing and Wolverine boots should serve you well. Same for Carhartt and Cat. If you feel like overpaying for the Timberland name, be my guest.

All right, I'll stop blathering. Good luck on your search!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are so many awesome new things on the AE website for new product. Black velvet/calf mixed media Randolphs and Strands.
The velvet is the business. There’s a Landon with it too, if you’re into that kinda thing

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A rare day in the office called for some summery AE styling.
867890A7-BD52-403A-891E-78B0A90FE5E7.jpeg

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The velvet is the business. There’s a Landon with it too, if you’re into that kinda thing

Oh man. The velvet Landon wasn't on there when I looked.

I don't know if I'd ever buy any of these offerings outside of the Randolph (which doesn't fit my foot), but I totally respect what they're going for.

Lauren_A

Reaction score
A few pictures from this week.

It's Wednesday, happy WTW.
View attachment 1814337
View attachment 1814338

Love the Cigar color.
View attachment 1814339
View attachment 1814340

Coffee time.
View attachment 1814341
View attachment 1814342

At a client's.
View attachment 1814343

I've been trying all kinds of color combos for the Strandmoks.
View attachment 1814344

I'm not seeing a lot of excitement for the current drop. I think the shoes look nice. Alas, I had my money earmarked for something in football grain. After the self-created disappointment of no football grain, I tried to win a bunch of auctions on ebay. I lost at the last second every single time. If any of you recently purchased some 10D Macneils, congratulations. *sigh*

Hey @AE_Lauren , I have a quick question about the new Siena. This shoe, https://www.allenedmonds.com/product/mens-siena-cap-toe-oxford-3028219/chili-ec4500261 ,what last is it on? The Siena looks like a real winner to me, but I don't see any information on the last. Love the sole and what looks like increased arch support.
Blake stitch styles don't have a last #. I'll report back once I receive the Siena in my store!

Lauren_A

Reaction score
Looking at the Strandmok reminded me that Turmeric suede exists. It's so good, but is there any consideration for adding it to other models? Something like a Boulevard-mok would be a big hit, I bet. That or can Turmeric become an available option for one of the future suede trunk shows? Like 2023? Pretty please? :)

The burgundy Strandmok looks great, by the way.
I loved the Turmeric as well. Not sure it appealed to as many people, though. I'll keep it in mind for the future!

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pictures from this week.

It's Wednesday, happy WTW.
View attachment 1814337
View attachment 1814338

Love the Cigar color.
View attachment 1814339
View attachment 1814340

Coffee time.
View attachment 1814341
View attachment 1814342

At a client's.
View attachment 1814343

I've been trying all kinds of color combos for the Strandmoks.
View attachment 1814344

I'm not seeing a lot of excitement for the current drop. I think the shoes look nice. Alas, I had my money earmarked for something in football grain. After the self-created disappointment of no football grain, I tried to win a bunch of auctions on ebay. I lost at the last second every single time. If any of you recently purchased some 10D Macneils, congratulations. *sigh*

Hey @AE_Lauren , I have a quick question about the new Siena. This shoe, https://www.allenedmonds.com/product/mens-siena-cap-toe-oxford-3028219/chili-ec4500261 ,what last is it on? The Siena looks like a real winner to me, but I don't see any information on the last. Love the sole and what looks like increased arch support.

1658428525950.png

I think he means 'cone' instead of 'come', but they are definitely sounding like a more European fit shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy