• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice outfit! The watch really works well, as well Rolex do!

Are you actually a jazz musician? Love the updated profile logo.

A man after my own heart. Dress shoes are king!

They are, and it's sad to see nice models go away in AE's catalogue.

The Kenilworth and weybridge are beautiful shoes, for instance. It's ****** they aren't available.

This is why I want to see some new ae dress models.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yah, I dyed these a long time ago and went quite a bit darker than intended. I do actually need to wear them one of these days. I don't think I have worn them in 2 years, unfortunately.
If they are size 10.5 I'd wear them for ya! The blue is pretty sweet.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
Has anyone used this Saphir product on their AE chromexcel boots/shoes?
9F99A25E-1ABD-48A8-BF3B-0352E1A5CAF7.jpeg

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this Saphir product on their AE chromexcel boots/shoes? View attachment 1715523

No. I like my Saphir stuff but Bick 4 for me on CXL (and shell) and brush. Bick 4 will not over condition and it will not darken lighter leathers (in my experience). And, it is relatively inexpensive. It is an excellent conditioner.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay. The boots are pretty nice and we can agree to disagree on the sneakers.

They still should make some new dress models, though.
What exactly is a dress shoe these days? The Marin? Shell PA sneaker? I know people who have purchased the McTavish, Neumok, and Strandmok who believe that they are dress shoes. Unfortunately, the dress shoe line is so blurred these days that to the average consumer, AE is loaded with dress models.

Rithrin

Reaction score
What exactly is a dress shoe these days? The Marin? Shell PA sneaker? I know people who have purchased the McTavish, Neumok, and Strandmok who believe that they are dress shoes. Unfortunately, the dress shoe line is so blurred these days that to the average consumer, AE is loaded with dress models.

I think we just found our answer!

1638783066627.png

Joking aside, I suppose a dress shoe is whatever one wears while dressing up. The old rules are pretty firm on what's a dress shoe, but if no one follows the rules, do they matter?

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice outfit! The watch really works well, as well Rolex do!
Are you actually a jazz musician? Love the updated profile logo.

Thank you, my shoe Brother.
I'm an American jazz saxophonist (nighttime).
I'm a guy that cares for and treats amazing people that are fighting cancer (daytime).
I'm a Daddy to a 34, 24, and 21 years old (all the time).

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lemme know if the new cxl socks come with Strand broguing. It'd be sweet if I could take off my Strands and still basically be wearing Strands.

I thought he was being funny, but then realized he was serious.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
If they are size 10.5 I'd wear them for ya! The blue is pretty sweet.

Thanks! These are more of a midnight blue with black accents along the brogue. Hard to photograph and kind of subtle in real life since the navy is fairly dark. Shows best in brighter light.

These actually run a bit long and narrow (for future reference). Mine weren't worn much at all before I dyed them since I was never that pleased with the original finish. During this period, AE was doing some kind of airbrushed patina finish along the brogue and it wasn't robust to say the least. This pair also had some splotchiness on one of the toes that bugged me. Obviously none of that is relevant anymore.

I am 97% sure they are a 9.5D. In retrospect, I think I would have done better with a wide 9 maybe but I bought this pair a really long time ago. 10 years ago maybe when my overall experience with fitment was a bit less than now.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! These are more of a midnight blue with black accents along the brogue. Hard to photograph and kind of subtle in real life since the navy is fairly dark. Shows best in brighter light.

These actually run a bit long and narrow (for future reference). Mine weren't worn much at all before I dyed them since I was never that pleased with the original finish. During this period, AE was doing some kind of airbrushed patina finish along the brogue and it wasn't robust to say the least. This pair also had some splotchiness on one of the toes that bugged me. Obviously none of that is relevant anymore.

I am 97% sure they are a 9.5D. In retrospect, I think I would have done better with a wide 9 maybe but I bought this pair a really long time ago. 10 years ago maybe when my overall experience with fitment was a bit less than now.

I took them as more of a black alternative than blue, based on the photo. Looks classy and not outrageous.

Agreed on the original tan finish, it seemed a bit odd. I find the 333 last to fit pretty well, at least with the Ft. Collins I had (Flatiron with no medallion).

I happened to just picked up a brown Rutledge on the secondhand market and am looking forward to wearing them.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I took them as more of a black alternative than blue, based on the photo. Looks classy and not outrageous.

Agreed on the original tan finish, it seemed a bit odd. I find the 333 last to fit pretty well, at least with the Ft. Collins I had (Flatiron with no medallion).

I happened to just picked up a brown Rutledge on the secondhand market and am looking forward to wearing them.

Nice! Enjoy your new pair. The Rutledge is a pretty cool shoe, actually. Shame that AE didn't keep it around. The leather is a definite step up from mainline AE of that time (and now). The tan part of the finish was generally fine but the faux patina was just not done well enough to be durable, although I am sure it was much quicker than using a real dye on the trim. When I stripped this pair that colorant came off even easier than the wax! Like a half a wipe with acetone and it was gone. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads