• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, thanks. I will admit I have leaned on the alden selection quite a bit once I found out they fit me better than the AE lasts. Wish it weren’t so, but it is what it is. Then I chat about it.
I think if I were into shell, I’d be all over Alden, as that’s where they really shine. Some of those examples you have are pretty spectacular.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First, everything is IMHO, with no warranties expressed or otherwise. If your shoe explodes, don’t blame me.

Well, if we're not playing exploding shoes and cripple the other guy in the process, where's the fun in that?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wasmisterfu On the subject of conditioning, I've found a few of AE leather just do not want to hold moisture. One example is the black calf, the other is the midnight navy. Both of them have a different texture than the other colors I own. It's hard to put into words. It still condition them, but they still always have that dry, stiff feel.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, if we're not playing exploding shoes and cripple the other guy in the process, where's the fun in that?
You should hang in the Vintage shoe thread. I’ve been accused (just today) of being a flagrant criminal by my esteemed thread colleague, @suitforcourt (who is a defense attorney, so I supposed his words carry some weight).

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You should hang in the Vintage shoe thread. I’ve been accused (just today) of being a flagrant criminal by my esteemed thread colleague, @suitforcourt (who is a defense attorney, so I supposed his words carry some weight).
Just because one is an attorney, doesn't mean their words carry any more weight than yours or mine or the plumber who lives down the block from me. As my Grandfather said, "Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time". If you are a "flagrant criminal" well then, heck, you know a defense attorney :)

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wasmisterfu On the subject of conditioning, I've found a few of AE leather just do not want to hold moisture. One example is the black calf, the other is the midnight navy. Both of them have a different texture than the other colors I own. It's hard to put into words. It still condition them, but they still always have that dry, stiff feel.
When were the made? About 5-6 years ago, they had a few batches of problematic leather. AE, and a few others (Meermin in my experience), had this same problematic leather at about that time.

Personally, I haven’t run into that leather myself on AE’s, but I had a couple of pair of Meermin’s that did have that stuff, and it’s exactly as you describe, just doesn’t hold conditioning and always feels stiff and has “dry creasing”. I know others have commented about that leather on some AE’s from that time frame.

I have photos of the Meermin pairs somewhere in some cloud bucket, I’ll see if I can find them.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because one is an attorney, doesn't mean their words carry any more weight than yours or mine or the plumber who lives down the block from me. As my Grandfather said, "Everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time". If you are a "flagrant criminal" well then, heck, you know a defense attorney :)
Man, y’all take me way too seriously. Everyone knows I think @suitforcourt is complete Canadian degenerate, whose only redeeming quality is his excellent taste in vintage shoes and menswear.

Edit: ...and his sound advice on addressing issues regarding “The Spousal Customs Service”.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, y’all take me way too seriously. Everyone knows I think @suitforcourt is complete Canadian degenerate, whose only redeeming quality is his excellent taste in vintage shoes and menswear.

Edit: ...and his sound advice on addressing issues regarding “The Spousal Customs Service”.
I don't take anyone too seriously, this is all a fun, hobby thread. And I first read that as "Custom Spousal Service" which sounded good to me........

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When were the made? About 5-6 years ago, they had a few batches of problematic leather. AE, and a few others (Meermin in my experience), had this same problematic leather at about that time.

Personally, I haven’t run into that leather myself on AE’s, but I had a couple of pair of Meermin’s that did have that stuff, and it’s exactly as you describe, just doesn’t hold conditioning and always feels stiff and has “dry creasing”. I know others have commented about that leather on some AE’s from that time frame.

I have photos of the Meermin pairs somewhere in some cloud bucket, I’ll see if I can find them.

The black Exchange Place I have must have been made in 2018-ish. It has the new AE logo on the sockliner. I guess it's possible it could have been from leather that was brought in 5-6 years ago? My midnight navy PA is from 2016/17. All midnight navy leather has a stiff quality to it that I can't do much about.

I was conditioning my shoes today and realized shell's way of saying "wear me!" is when they start blooming. These poor Strands have become too reclusive.
IMG_3011.JPG

Hisheirness23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The black Exchange Place I have must have been made in 2018-ish. It has the new AE logo on the sockliner. I guess it's possible it could have been from leather that was brought in 5-6 years ago? My midnight navy PA is from 2016/17. All midnight navy leather has a stiff quality to it that I can't do much about.

I was conditioning my shoes today and realized shell's way of saying "wear me!" is when they start blooming. These poor Strands have become too reclusive.
View attachment 1618553
Natural Shell Strands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics