• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not wearing wingtips today but I just ordered some. Does that count?
57FE7E68-3B00-47B7-ABC8-BF82E88B4BCA.jpeg

frosejr

Reaction score
What's everyone's experience with AE shoe trees? Every time I buy a new set its a different size than the last one. I have XXL splits that fit smaller than some XL, but also have some XXL that can't even get into a shoe even if I force the spring to be full compressed. It's crazy, never know what you'll get. Some on the solid wood ones too.

Just got a pair of XXL which should fit 13 EEE and up. Put them in my 13D shoes and the spring is barely engaged. I have another pair of XXL trees that I tried putting into 13 EEE shoes and they can't fit, even if you forced it.

Maybe just me?
I am not a fan. I like Rochester trees a lot better, because their sizing is more consistent, and they have a fuller, rounder heel. I have a couple pairs that I had AE trees in for a long time, that now appear elongated in the heel/ankle opening.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan. I like Rochester trees a lot better, because their sizing is more consistent, and they have a fuller, rounder heel. I have a couple pairs that I had AE trees in for a long time, that now appear elongated in the heel/ankle opening.
+1 on Rochester trees*; much better-made trees than Woodlore, IMO. (My pet peeve with Woodlore trees is that they shed slivers of cedar into my shoes; not the happiest thing for a foot to run into...)

*In case you're not familiar with them, Rochester is the company that makes private-label trees for Alden, Brooks Brothers, and Grant Stone, among others; they're top-quality trees, and actually a few bucks less than Woodlore in many cases.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fresh from the Warehouse Sale...Black MacNeil in 10 eee--from what I'm told the last pair in the system.
Initial impressions--great shoe (haha what else would I say?) Really like how the 97 fits width wise. Compared to the 65, the shoe is indeed a bit longer and wider. Could I have sized down to a 9.5 eee? Maybe, but I ran the risk of putting my pinky toe in an uncomfortable spot. Worth the price at $395? Hard pass. At $134.84? Indeed.

The 2 "ultra specials" (or "unicorns" as Ashley calls them) from SC are with FedEx...hope to post pics when they arrive.

Hope you're all having swell days...(and if I have a "swell" day, we know the 97 last can handle the width...)

macneil.jpg

lcdx22

Reaction score
Fresh from the Warehouse Sale...Black MacNeil in 10 eee--from what I'm told the last pair in the system.
Initial impressions--great shoe (haha what else would I say?) Really like how the 97 fits width wise. Compared to the 65, the shoe is indeed a bit longer and wider. Could I have sized down to a 9.5 eee? Maybe, but I ran the risk of putting my pinky toe in an uncomfortable spot. Worth the price at $395? Hard pass. At $134.84? Indeed.

The 2 "ultra specials" (or "unicorns" as Ashley calls them) from SC are with FedEx...hope to post pics when they arrive.

Hope you're all having swell days...(and if I have a "swell" day, we know the 97 last can handle the width...)

View attachment 1416372

97 last longer than 65? That's the first time I've heard that and it has not been my experience. I feel like 97 is TTS length wise and 65 runs a bit longer.

Looking good though!

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
97 last longer than 65? That's the first time I've heard that and it has not been my experience. I feel like 97 is TTS length wise and 65 runs a bit longer.

Looking good though!
Just took out the tape: about 1/8 longer and 1/8 wider...this could be a fluke, of course (or, some welt depth)...I compared to my Park Aves....

frosejr

Reaction score
WEASEL ALERT
Merlot Hopkinsons, 247 on the site. I figured, nice day for a drive to Tysons to meet an SA, maybe get a hookup for 20% off, or at least give somebody a little commission. I met Steve, super cool guy. Told him my reason. When he rang the shoes up, they rang at 199.99. 20% off later, I had Hopkinsons on the way to my house for 169.58 including tax.
Aaaaand... here they are!
image.jpg

A couple of things struck me:
1) I’m reminded why I’m not a Park Ave fan. Not much going on here, design-wise.
2) I can see why AE is phasing these out. While the leather inside and outside on the shoe appears to be higher quality than the main line, the craftsmanship is not. Note this pucker near the right cap:

image.jpg

On a $160 purchase, I don’t care. If I had paid full price, I wouldn’t have even put them on my feet.

Also, there was a unibag in the box, instead of a pair of normal-size shoe bags. That's pretty chintzy for what's supposed to be a $560 pair of shoes or something.

overall a keeper, because of the price. Farewell, Independence line, I hardly knew ye.

Last edited:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're also comparing reverse welt to flat welt, unless you were measuring the uppers with calipers?

True... I actually held the tape to the start and end of the uppers, too. Maybe these are mislabeled (10.5?)? I don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole because I like them...

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aaaaand... here they are!
View attachment 1416386

A couple of things struck me:
1) I’m reminded why I’m not a Park Ave fan. Not much going on here, design-wise.
2) I can see why AE is phasing these out. While the leather inside and outside on the shoe appears to be higher quality than the main line, the craftsmanship is not. Note this picker near the right cap:

View attachment 1416387
On a $160 purchase, I don’t care. If I had paid full price, I wouldn’t have even put them on my feet.

overall a keeper, because of the price. Farewell, Independence line, I hardly knew ye.
How's the lining (and footbed)? Really a step-up from the usual (e.g. Park Ave)?

frosejr

Reaction score
How's the lining (and footbed)? Really a step-up from the usual (e.g. Park Ave)?
Footbed is the same, although a pair of Bartletts I bought from dabondo1 on ebay a long time ago was noticeably better. Perhaps the company decided a long time ago, "we're phasing these out, let's just get them out the door however we have to, with whatever we have." The lining is much better though. Very smooth and very supple leather linings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads