• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that is so, they might want to find another GYW loafer to replace it. Randolph is hit or miss for lots of folks, me included (only miss), while the competition makes loafers that fit, on multiple lasts. In my little corner of the shoe world, AE has ceded loafers to the competition.
No disagreement here, they need to replace with another.
Well then I don’t know if they’ll get much business from me. No offense to guys that like their other half strap penny loafers offerings, but all of them have some glaring issue to me whether it’s the last shape, the moc toe stitching, the penny slot shape, the assembly of the strap to the vamp, or just the construction of the shoe itself. After a lot of experimentation with my style over the past near-decade, I’ve settled into an Ivy-based comfort zone. And that has meant my shoe collection has become mostly longwings, half strap penny loafers, and tassel loafers. I have a few pairs of oxfords, but I never wear them.

If I was given a blank check and told I could MTO 25 pairs of AEs, I honestly think 12-18 of them would be Patriots or MacNeils. If they aren’t options in a trunk show, I’m not likely to participate.
Seems like you will still see the macneil in TS events and frankly I doubt it’s permanently gone. The patriot though I think is lost. It was also one of those shoes people had a hard time fitting so I’m not sure how well it actually did. Not that I want to advocate for Alden but their LWB and penny is better to my eye (albeit way overpriced nowadays). The only problem is good luck getting anything that isn’t color 8 or black. You could go overseas to find the penny but you are limited once again in size. Obviously you can pay high single MTO fees from a lot of those makers to get what you want but it’ll cost you way more than AE shell.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning
950C7C35-1908-4A65-8A12-96941C418F47.jpeg

lemmy127

Reaction score
Not that I want to advocate for Alden but their LWB and penny is better to my eye (albeit way overpriced nowadays). The only problem is good luck getting anything that isn’t color 8 or black. You could go overseas to find the penny but you are limited once again in size. Obviously you can pay high single MTO fees from a lot of those makers to get what you want but it’ll cost you way more than AE shell.

Yeah, I recently joined the waitlists at TSM and H. Stockton, but I don't expect to be contacted any time in the next two years. If the Patriot isn't part of the suede trunk show, then I'll end up getting a 6243F at some point to scratch that itch. And in regards to overseas, the majority can't do a 13B, and the few that will, do so at a price that I'm not willing to pay (Enzo Bonafe was well over $1k a few years ago).

This all would be a lot easier if I liked Rancourt's penny and longwing patterns, they were Goodyear welted, and they had bourbon shell.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bit of pitting in the toe of one shoe and imperfect moc toe stitching.
That is nice, but I cannot imagine that they can charge a restocking fee for a pair that has a slice in it. Rips and tears do not fall in the blemish or slight imperfection category. I have kept shoes in the past that in my opinion were worse than an F2. I was able to repair very cheaply or do my own surgery.

lemmy127

Reaction score
That is nice, but I cannot imagine that they can charge a restocking fee for a pair that has a slice in it. Rips and tears do not fall in the blemish or slight imperfection category. I have kept shoes in the past that in my opinion were worse than an F2. I was able to repair very cheaply or do my own surgery.

I've been assured that I definitely won't be charged the restocking fee for the cut.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I recently joined the waitlists at TSM and H. Stockton, but I don't expect to be contacted any time in the next two years. If the Patriot isn't part of the suede trunk show, then I'll end up getting a 6243F at some point to scratch that itch. And in regards to overseas, the majority can't do a 13B, and the few that will, do so at a price that I'm not willing to pay (Enzo Bonafe was well over $1k a few years ago).

This all would be a lot easier if I liked Rancourt's penny and longwing patterns, they were Goodyear welted, and they had bourbon shell.
I have the snuff. It is amazing. As soon as my first LHS came in (hunter green suede), I ordered the snuff. Possibly an even better fit for my foot than the 606, but the Patriot would still get my monies if it was being made. I'm not sure what about that pattern/last makes it more difficult, but I've seen some really rough seconds.

Rancourt has more volume than the Van or 606, so bear that in mind too if you go with their loafers. Honestly, you aren't going to feel much difference between blake-rapid and GYW, and they are resoleable. Caramel isn't exactly bourbon, but it ages beautifully.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I really like the new olive Strands. But, I'm trying really hard not to buy all the shoes this year. So, if I were to buy them I would need to sell something for it to replace. This may sound like blasphemy, but I'm actually considering my green shell Strands. Bottle green is great, but the olive is more my jam. Two things stopping me, I don't really want to get rid of my green shell and my Rush St might be too much of an overlap! I'll ponder on this one a bit more... @ProfilaBinding might have some words of encouragement for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads