• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if this is that dark olive Strand that was rumored to be in the pipeline a few months ago. Any hints @ae_ashley?

Interesting. I wonder if it might be the same olive wax leather that C&J used on the Coniston boot? If it is, I'll be picking up a pair.

crockett-and-jones-GREEN-Crockett-And-Jones-Coniston-Green-Rough-Out-Suede.jpeg

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I wonder if it might be the same olive wax leather that C&J used on the Coniston boot? If it is, I'll be picking up a pair.

View attachment 1211550
Wow. I hope AE is going to do something like that... (or put it in the Trunk Show)

Those are spectacular...

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow. I hope AE is going to do something like that... (or put it in the Trunk Show)

Those are spectacular...
Very nice. A Strandmok in that material with olive Dainite soles would be killer.
Definitely a win, but we may be waiting a while for that. I don't think even dainite would stop me

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped in at the store today and tried on an Independence line shoe for the first time. Hubba hubba. I get the hype. A lot of instep space on the vamp, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be at the laces/facings. Certainly much better than the Nomad that I also tried, which I was swimming in. Bummer on the Nomad, I was kinda liking the suede short wings blucher.

While there, I had a brannock measurement. For the first time, I was measured as a B width. As @Shoenut has mentioned before, he often gets remeasured, and it is often different than an optimal fit. Whenever I have tried a B width, my toes get crunched, so I'll be sticking with wider than that.

Lastly, I'll throw myself on the mercy of the thread, and a special apology to resident strand nut @BFT9000. I didn't snap photos of the new release Strandmok. It's a grey-brown nubuck on a ....wait for it @ProfilaBinding .... Olive dainite sole. It is a winning combination that I don't see on the website yet. I see this as a future purchase for me.
For what it may be worth, I got the Nomad shortwing at 1/2 less than my normal size (in, say, the 65 last) and seems will work out. Also got the Surrey down 1/2 and working out too, though yes, still roomy.

Seems so far whenever the fit is described as "relaxed" (vs. classic), I will require a half size smaller (in same 3E width). But I do have a high instep with which to fill the extra room, whereas someone with less volume I could see having more of a challenge with those two models. Good luck.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was expecting a dress boot. Balmoral and all. I’ve never understood the “let’s take a formal pattern and casualize the hell out of it” attitude but that does seem to sell a lot I guess.

I was hoping for a calfskin boot with leather soles.

They do it again and again. I think it only bugs you and me.:)

I'd love it if they'd make a calf Bal boot on the 201 with no medallion and a proper flat welt. Maybe brouguing on the "bal" seam and punch cap. Suede or pecary above the seam. JR sole.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1211550
Very nice. A Strandmok in that material with olive Dainite soles would be killer.
Sorry to get your hopes up, but definitely not the same look as the conniston shown. No real green-ness to it. Much more brown with a hint of grey.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Continuing the streak of my Lost Boys. Behold the natty Academy with blue AE laces and a pair of AE butterfly socks. That's 3 AEs for the price of 1!!!!. Not seen on these feet in almost 100 days. Just a great, do-anything shoe that hasn't been doing anything for me all year. This is just the 3rd wear in 2019. Again, I'm not sure why.

That's a lie.

I totally know why. I've become pretty much a boot-only guy year-round for the last 2 years. Shoes just don't see as much time off their trees. Of course, given that every day this week has felt like about 8 bajillion degrees in Chicago, I think I chose a good week to break out the golden oldies.

Also, that corporate carpet just continues to mesmerize.

View attachment 1208924

They need to bring this shoe back

WNovizar

Reaction score
A few thoughts on Fall styles:

Patton: those are basically Nordstrom Hearst, I already had it on Brown CXL
HM Brown Waxed: Why buy there if you can get it on Nordstrom cheaper
Hamilton: Isn't this basically stirling in a proper dress styles? I wouldn't hardly call brown tumbled + dainite dressy, but at least it's dressier than dublin + commando?
New Nomad Suede: AE, please. I would buy this if it's Liverpool.
New McTavish: Welp, still waiting for Olive Strandmok or Olive McTavish.....

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do it again and again. I think it only bugs you and me.:)

I'd love it if they'd make a calf Bal boot on the 201 with no medallion and a proper flat welt. Maybe brouguing on the "bal" seam and punch cap. Suede or pecary above the seam. JR sole.

Yeah, I guess I missed the powerclash wave years ago. But judging by how many people seem to love shoes like the Strandmok and similar, I guess that’s in and I’m an outlier.
It just seems very odd for them to actually call it a dress boot and then Do what they did to it.

I’ll refrain from complaining further. Hope it sells well!

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HM is nice, but would be a later purchase if it grabs my fancy due to already having a fair amount. View attachment 1211519
(New green not shown). I think my Bowerys actually fill this waxed suede role really well.

Nomads would be a win in my book if not for the sole. Grey suede is good though; my first pair of suede was grey.

MY Strands don't have dainite. There's already the best compromise sole on past Strands; why not use it?
View attachment 1211517

A brown suede oxford such as the Strand should be an everyday offering. It’s a quintessential style, no? I’d take vtred over dainite but prefer leather. I know one can wear suede and shell in the rain but I prefer to wear calf grain in the wet.

Anyway, hope to see some nice suede and shell in the upcoming trunk show!

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I guess I missed the powerclash wave years ago. But judging by how many people seem to love shoes like the Strandmok and similar, I guess that’s in and I’m an outlier.
It just seems very odd for them to actually call it a dress boot and then Do what they did to it.

I’ll refrain from complaining further. Hope it sells well!
So you were looking for something like this?
D48A39F6-879B-4C33-8AF9-ABE129B43782.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads