• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HM will be popular. I’m ok with my shell HM right now being my only HM. The brown suede Nomad is similar to what’s been run before. Gray is unique. I think the Nomad line is way underappreciated here though. They are the best travel shoes! Since the Chelsea’s are slip one, I can also wear them through tsa easily when randomly selected to fail precheck and get felt up and down. They also look great. I am not sold on the gray, but the chocolate suede from Nordstrom is really nice. Hamilton will also come in black, as seen in the ads, but tumbled leather is fine....then there is the Dainite. I have no Dainite boots, so I will bite on this one—but not immediately.
HM is nice, but would be a later purchase if it grabs my fancy due to already having a fair amount.
20190309_140332.jpg

(New green not shown). I think my Bowerys actually fill this waxed suede role really well.

Nomads would be a win in my book if not for the sole. Grey suede is good though; my first pair of suede was grey.
Don’t care because: Strand boot.
MY Strands don't have dainite. There's already the best compromise sole on past Strands; why not use it?
20190723_211643.jpg

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped in at the store today and tried on an Independence line shoe for the first time. Hubba hubba. I get the hype. A lot of instep space on the vamp, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be at the laces/facings. Certainly much better than the Nomad that I also tried, which I was swimming in. Bummer on the Nomad, I was kinda liking the suede short wings blucher.

While there, I had a brannock measurement. For the first time, I was measured as a B width. As @Shoenut has mentioned before, he often gets remeasured, and it is often different than an optimal fit. Whenever I have tried a B width, my toes get crunched, so I'll be sticking with wider than that.

Lastly, I'll throw myself on the mercy of the thread, and a special apology to resident strand nut @BFT9000. I didn't snap photos of the new release Strandmok. It's a grey-brown nubuck on a ....wait for it @ProfilaBinding .... Olive dainite sole. It is a winning combination that I don't see on the website yet. I see this as a future purchase for me.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped in at the store today and tried on an Independence line shoe for the first time. Hubba hubba. I get the hype. A lot of instep space on the vamp, but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be at the laces/facings. Certainly much better than the Nomad that I also tried, which I was swimming in. Bummer on the Nomad, I was kinda liking the suede short wings blucher.

While there, I had a brannock measurement. For the first time, I was measured as a B width. As @Shoenut has mentioned before, he often gets remeasured, and it is often different than an optimal fit. Whenever I have tried a B width, my toes get crunched, so I'll be sticking with wider than that.

Lastly, I'll throw myself on the mercy of the thread, and a special apology to resident strand nut @BFT9000. I didn't snap photos of the new release Strandmok. It's a grey-brown nubuck on a ....wait for it @ProfilaBinding .... Olive dainite sole. It is a winning combination that I don't see on the website yet. I see this as a future purchase for me.

My heart palpitated when I thought you were going to announce "....wait for it..... olive Strandmok!" Not quite there yet, but progress is our most important product as they say.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The trunk show would be cool, but in thinking about it, I really don’t know what I would order? It would have to be some really unusual offering. So few shoes work for my strange feet and I already have 5 MacNeils. Does one need 6? Not really. But I am willing to see the details.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you who've been around the AE world long enough to know: how does an AE trunk show work?

A couple weeks before the trunk show AE will send out a list of available models and colors. Here's an example from the February shell cordovan trunk show:

jrd5imdbrmg21.jpg

You call up your favorite sales associate with a model, color, and sole and they'll put you on the list. On the day of the show they'll ring you up, get your payment, and then it's off to shell heaven anywhere between 2 weeks to a couple months afterwards.

Another option is to go to a store during the show, which lasts a week or so usually. They'll probably take orders in any store, but there'll be samples in a couple stores in Manhattan, San Fran, Houston, and a couple others too.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why oh why don’t they make the new McTavish in a B width. It’s widthism plain and simple.
I. Need. This. I'd like to say I won't buy a shoe that is unlikely to fit, but man, the McT in that leather is really, really, ridiculously good looking. If I could get a MacNeil in that leather, it would fit and satisfy the itch.
My heart palpitated when I thought you were going to announce "....wait for it..... olive Strandmok!" Not quite there yet, but progress is our most important product as they say.
Sorry. But, if my present career doesn't pan out, it's good to know that I have a potential future creating click-bait titles.
A couple weeks before the trunk show AE will send out a list of available models and colors. Here's an example from the February shell cordovan trunk show:

jrd5imdbrmg21.jpg

You call up your favorite sales associate with a model, color, and sole and they'll put you on the list. On the day of the show they'll ring you up, get your payment, and then it's off to shell heaven anywhere between 2 weeks to a couple months afterwards.

Another option is to go to a store during the show, which lasts a week or so usually. They'll probably take orders in any store, but there'll be samples in a couple stores in Manhattan, San Fran, Houston, and a couple others too.
@woofmang as Strandman said, and I will confirm that the order can be taken through any store.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[SNIP]

@woofmang as Strandman said, and I will confirm that the order can be taken through any store.
Thanks, gents!

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh... So, I also saw the new sneakers while at the store today. I can confirm that the website photos are accurate. That is all I can report.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I wonder if this is that dark olive Strand that was rumored to be in the pipeline a few months ago. Any hints @ae_ashley?

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are tumbled and loose grain related if at all?
They're not really related at all.

Tumbled is a finishing that produces a non-smooth, irregular finish in the leather. I love it. I think shoes made of something not smooth are often more versatile - look better with jeans/chinos/etc. (though they don't dress up as far, but I'm guessing lots of us are doing less of that lately.

Loose grain is when the layers within the leather delaminate in spots that cause what can be significant wrinkles. I think a lot of regular leather grain gets called 'loose grain' unfairly.

The Hamilton looks great to me - glad it has Dainite so I can avoid buying a pair. Also would be cool to see that in the Trunk Show...

For those of you who've been around the AE world long enough to know: how does an AE trunk show work?
It's a really simple process: They open the order window and quickly empty your wallet in exchange for some amazingness. The green shell from the last one stole the show IMHO.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trunk show would be cool, but in thinking about it, I really don’t know what I would order? It would have to be some really unusual offering. So few shoes work for my strange feet and I already have 5 MacNeils. Does one need 6? Not really. But I am willing to see the details.

You might try a Higgins Mill with a leather sole if that last works for you.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, the waxed suede thing is a killer option for the HM and McT 2.0. It can be a great evolving/patina leather, and makes for an awesome weather-option.

AE is making good decisions lately IMHO in a lot of ways...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads