• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. You started that at the end of 2017. I was on the fence, and eventually backed out. Looking back, I probably should have stayed in it as they look fantastic.
I also agree the Alden Barrie/AE 511 more rounded look is more in line with gunboats. The 97 doesn't fit me so well either...
That said, misterfu certainly knows his way around longwings! :p
Wellll... if what y’all want is a REAL gunboat... then you want a pair of these:
2Jw7sUr.jpg

0iHAYLJ.jpg

bxfVhny.jpg

Wanna talk gunboats? Then let’s talk about these vintage Hanover LB Sheppard’s: ginormous fudged welt, huge gravity-well inducing soles, 10lbs of leather everything, and six eyelets of lacing to hold this monster to your foot.

Hanover’s actual marketing tagline? Hanover: A Man’s Shoe.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I was reading all of the various comments on MacNeils and mentions of TS 2017, I ran across this picture. Natty shell MacNeils straight out of the box in 2017.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being labeled "Debbie Downer" I regret to report that Calares feels that 30 days of standard use of their cordovan wallets can lead to wear and tear that can include, but is not limited to, the complete lack of, or disintegration of, the stitching holding the thing together. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)
You see, I did not take the precaution of inspecting the stitching in the wallet, prior to use, to verify that it was all there.
As a result of this "wear and tear" the item is neither repairable nor returnable to Allen Edmonds. I am free to take it to a local leather repair shop to have it properly stitched back together, but I am responsible for any repair costs beyond the princely sum of $30.
Now, I understand that Customer Service has no idea whether I stuff my bill fold full of Benjamins (I wish I could but, sadly, I do not), nor do they know just how fat ****** has become. But is it unreasonable to expect them to, at the very least, offer to take a look at it to see if this was defective? I would cover shipping but it was not even an option.
I wish that the standards of quality for AE products had not devolved to this level but based on the feedback comments on this product, stitching is a problem. I wish I had read that review prior to making this purchase.
@ae_ashley please let corporate know how and why they have lost another customer.
Not to rub salt, but can we see pics of what’s going on with the wallet?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the risk of being labeled "Debbie Downer" I regret to report that Calares feels that 30 days of standard use of their cordovan wallets can lead to wear and tear that can include, but is not limited to, the complete lack of, or disintegration of, the stitching holding the thing together. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)
You see, I did not take the precaution of inspecting the stitching in the wallet, prior to use, to verify that it was all there.
As a result of this "wear and tear" the item is neither repairable nor returnable to Allen Edmonds. I am free to take it to a local leather repair shop to have it properly stitched back together, but I am responsible for any repair costs beyond the princely sum of $30.
Now, I understand that Customer Service has no idea whether I stuff my bill fold full of Benjamins (I wish I could but, sadly, I do not), nor do they know just how fat ****** has become. But is it unreasonable to expect them to, at the very least, offer to take a look at it to see if this was defective? I would cover shipping but it was not even an option.
I wish that the standards of quality for AE products had not devolved to this level but based on the feedback comments on this product, stitching is a problem. I wish I had read that review prior to making this purchase.
@ae_ashley please let corporate know how and why they have lost another customer.
Did the Shell itself become unstitched? I found it really hard to get my credit cards in and out of the slots so I actually sliced the fabric liner behind where the card slots are. But the wallet itself is holding strong. Mine is 9 months old and on Sale at the time. I do over stuff mine.

DawgPound

Reaction score
My favorite 5th Aves today.
View attachment 1209092
Happy Friday gents!

Are those the midnight navy or another shade of blue? I have midnight navy 5A's and they're darn near black (missing the lighter blue coming across in your photo). Perhaps mine need more wear. I like the look of those!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wellll... if what y’all want is a REAL gunboat... then you want a pair of these:
2Jw7sUr.jpg

0iHAYLJ.jpg

bxfVhny.jpg

Wanna talk gunboats? Then let’s talk about these vintage Hanover LB Sheppard’s: ginormous fudged welt, huge gravity-well inducing soles, 10lbs of leather everything, and six eyelets of lacing to hold this monster to your foot.

Hanover’s actual marketing tagline? Hanover: A Man’s Shoe.
Yup. I've got some LB's; they're kinda my standard for gunboat. :D
Are those the midnight navy or another shade of blue? I have midnight navy 5A's and they're darn near black (missing the lighter blue coming across in your photo). Perhaps mine need more wear. I like the look of those!
Not all pairs are as dark, but lighting can make a difference for sure. Mine could look almost black inside as well.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I nominate this for Rant of the Day! Sorry about your wallet, but great post.

ptfly

Reaction score
I find the midnight navy color pops a little more with a lighter pant color. I tend to wear mine with a light grey trouser 95% of the time. Midnight is more formal and subtle compared to the navy IMO.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's some variation with the midnight navy. My first pair that didn't fit very well was difficult to get it to show the blue. I had to be in certain kind of sunlight to really see it. My newer pair is much more blue, but has a nice black finish on the stitching area. I am curious though as to how they managed to get this black polish on those areas without hitting the white stitching. I'm afraid to use black polish on them in that area because I don't want it to get on the white stitching.

Lmrjfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to rub salt, but can we see pics of what’s going on with the wallet?
I decided to take things into my own hands and stitch it up with some super glue to reinforce what I lack in competence.
I didn't take any pictures.
The issue was that it looks like the sewing machine ran out of thread as it stitched the last side of the outer stitch. All the holes were there, but no thread. The glue that they use lasted until today, which is when I noticed the issue. It made re-stitching somewhat easier since it was already pre-punched.
$200 for a do-it-yourself wallet is a poor business model, but hey, I learned how to stitch leather.
Did the Shell itself become unstitched? I found it really hard to get my credit cards in and out of the slots so I actually sliced the fabric liner behind where the card slots are. But the wallet itself is holding strong. Mine is 9 months old and on Sale at the time. I do over stuff mine.
My wife will not allow me to overstuff a wallet.
I nominate this for Rant of the Day! Sorry about your wallet, but great post.
I just can't understand the business decision to simply blow me off. They know how much I spend with them, it's right there on the computer screen.
The kicker is that they sent me a 20% off coupon as a "feel better" gift. It can't be used on heritage line, cordovan, or anything else you might actually want, but it works great on the new sneakers and the three kings crap. So, "We screwed you, but hey, spend more money with us and all will be forgotten, err, forgiven, err, whatever." is the new customer service model.
God help them.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife will not allow me to overstuff a wallet.
My wife and I had this talk. I told her that I will stuff what I want and she can stuff what she wants. I ended up with socks stuffed in my pants in no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads