• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On pure shape aesthetics, AE’s classic lasts are among the best looking ever made, with the 7 (MacNeil) last, which was (per its name) designed for the MacNeil, being one of my favorites.

The MacNeil is, IMHO, the best looking LWB ever made, challenged only by the Kenmoor lasted Florsheim LWB’s of yesteryear. It has that perfect mix of sleek silhouette and gunboat proportions. Here are @davidVC’s insanely great looking vintage 1975 MTO MacNeil’s (apparently in permanent museum-mode):

I like the 975 (I own a pair), but the Barrie last doesn’t make as aesthetically pleasing a LWB as the 7 last (I also don’t like Alden’s single row stitching on the uppers, it looks less substantial).
Well, the barrie last isn’t bad, and Alden’s LWB’s aren’t Wilbert’s or anything. They’re very good looking shoes (and, as I said earlier, when it comes shell color and finish, they’re terrific). I mean, I own a pair and stuff. I don’t own Wilbert’s.
It’s funny how we can look at the same shoes and have totally different opinions on them. Actually wearing my navy shell MacNeil today TS2017? I find my pair of brown shell macneils on the 511 last more appealing. Not a huge fan of the 7 last. Also wish there was more separation from the wings and the facings. This has been discussed many time here of course. It is why these navy and my natty pair of shells on the MacNeil are on the threshold to be let go.

pbrandes

Reaction score
In the retail footwear system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups. The collectors who investigate risky lasts and fit, and the feet who have to squeeze into them. These are their stories…

What was I thinking? I’m a 9.5 E in just about everything AE. I should have known better, but I was desperate to find a loafer that actually fit and a suede wingtip blucher for casual wear—even if they took me outside my comfort zone. Or so I thought.

Hence my ill-advised purchases of:
  • walnut weave Lake Bluff loafers in 9 E
  • slate suede Shanes in 9.5 D
Both are first quality, worn once, and up for sale at $60 + $15 shipping to anywhere in the continental U.S. PM me if interested.

First up: Walnut Lake Bluff in 9 E

Seduced by their siren weave, I set aside my past failures in the quest for loafers that truly fit, and tried sizing down in length. Initially, the lack of heel slip was so promising that I recklessly wore them outside—four hours later, my toes were so crunched that they were boxed up never to be worn again, but sole-scuffed enough to preclude returning.

They are in beautiful shape, and perfect for a 9 E looking for a summer shoe on the 2042 last (same fit as Acheson, Lake Forest, and Sarasota). I’m swearing off loafers, but I’d like to see these go to a forum member who would get good use out of them:

IMG_4359.JPG

IMG_4360.JPG

IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_4367.JPG

Next up: Slate suede Shanes in 9.5 D

I plead extenuating circumstances on these. Despite no “E” widths offered by AE, I had good luck with OG Nomad derbies and bucks in 9.5 D on the 42 last, so I figured these 42N-last Shanes would fit similarly. Little did I suspect that the “N” stands for “Narrow Motherf—s.” I tried to make them work but even the open lacing didn’t help with the narrow footbed.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for brass eyelets. In any case, I’d rather see them go to a forum member who can use them rather than sitting on the shelf. At $60 + $15 shipping they are in excellent shape.

2019-06-25 13.48.22.jpg

2019-06-25 13.48.51.jpg

2019-06-25 13.49.06.jpg

2019-06-25 13.49.25.jpg

IMG_4374.JPG

PM me if interested...

tcbinnc

Reaction score
The navy wide basic is a great belt. Wise choice!
Thanks. Read good things about the wide basic and grabbed the navy while I could. Next will be navy AE shoes and I can go tone-on-tone with my navy suit. Plus shopping for new shirt and tie. @BagleyBrown did "the look" recently and he looked sharp.
My initial inspiration...

Attachments

Last edited:

schweezly

Reaction score
In the retail footwear system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups. The collectors who investigate risky lasts and fit, and the feet who have to squeeze into them. These are their stories…

What was I thinking? I’m a 9.5 E in just about everything AE. I should have known better, but I was desperate to find a loafer that actually fit and a suede wingtip blucher for casual wear—even if they took me outside my comfort zone. Or so I thought.

Both are first quality, worn once, and up for sale at $60 + $15 shipping to anywhere in the continental U.S. PM me if interested.

Seduced by their siren weave, I set aside my past failures in the quest for loafers that truly fit, and tried sizing down in length. Initially, the lack of heel slip was so promising that I recklessly wore them outside—four hours later, my toes were so crunched that they were boxed up never to be worn again, but sole-scuffed enough to preclude returning.

They are in beautiful shape, and perfect for a 9 E looking for a summer shoe on the 2042 last (same fit as Acheson, Lake Forest, and Sarasota). I’m swearing off loafers, but I’d like to see these go to a forum member who would get good use out of them:

View attachment 1209271

View attachment 1209273

View attachment 1209274

View attachment 1209275

I plead extenuating circumstances on these. Despite no “E” widths offered by AE, I had good luck with OG Nomad derbies and bucks in 9.5 D on the 42 last, so I figured these 42N-last Shanes would fit similarly. Little did I suspect that the “N” stands for “Narrow Motherf—s.” I tried to make them work but even the open lacing didn’t help with the narrow footbed.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for brass eyelets. In any case, I’d rather see them go to a forum member who can use them rather than sitting on the shelf. At $60 + $15 shipping they are in excellent shape.

View attachment 1209276

View attachment 1209277

View attachment 1209278

View attachment 1209279

View attachment 1209280

PM me if interested...
Someone who shares me pain

If you want to try a 9.5D Randolph in Coffee let me know. I have a pair in great condition, less than 10 wears, that I’d let go fairly cheap

tcbinnc

Reaction score

View attachment 1209271

View attachment 1209273

View attachment 1209274

View attachment 1209275

View attachment 1209276

View attachment 1209277

View attachment 1209278

View attachment 1209279

View attachment 1209280

PM me if interested...
Great price on those Shanes. Not my size, however, but looks a nice suede wingtip brogue a la' the Nomad Wing but with a good leather sole. (Many seem to dislike the Nomad rubber sole but I purchasd a pair and think they'll do fine for as long as they last). Plus, as with the Shanes, I really like their true grey color. Good luck with your sale(s).

Last edited:

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finishing up the week of B-sides with the Massdrop Chukkas in sand. I'm kind of cheating a bit because these still get some regular wears in the rotation, just not nearly as many as some of my other boots. Why not? A couple of reasons:

Because they're unlined and unstructured, it's tough to really lock the heel down in these. I kind of feel like I'm sliding around in the heel area.

Again, because of their unstructured nature, I have to tighten the laces a lot to keep them on my feet. Unfortunately, one of the laces hits right on a bad spot on top of my foot (result of a car accident that took 1/3 of my right foot off down to the bone). So, I either get pain with these, or slop. I usually choose slop.

I never water-proofed these things, and until I get off my lazy ass and do it, I'll always be loathe to wear them if there's even a slight chance of inclement weather. Yeah, I know, suede doesn't need to be babied, but my ignorances and preconceived notions run deep and I'm feeling awfully stubborn these days. And dumb.

They've got a slight squeak in the right heel. I'm not sure if it's the shoe, or the lackadaisical lacing I use that's causing my foot to slide and squeak. Regardless, I'm not feeling curious enough to investigate it just yet.

On the plus side, since it's mid/upper-90s today, it seemed like a pretty good day to wear these mofos. Enjoy the weekend fellow filthy barnweasels, and enjoy the final shot this week of the corporate carpet.

View attachment 1209272
If it makes you feel better, rapello suede comes pretreated
They look nice! Wore mine yesterday for a rooftop survey in the sun.

Today,
20190719_133547.jpg

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s funny how we can look at the same shoes and have totally different opinions on them. Actually wearing my navy shell MacNeil today TS2017? I find my pair of brown shell macneils on the 511 last more appealing. Not a huge fan of the 7 last. Also wish there was more separation from the wings and the facings. This has been discussed many time here of course. It is why these navy and my natty pair of shells on the MacNeil are on the threshold to be let go.
Did they do some kind of MTO last swap for your “511” MacNeil’s? Never heard of a MacNeil on anything other than the 7.

I don’t have anything against the 511 (I own several Shelton’s on that last), but the more aggressively tapered toe of the 7 makes for a sleeker shoe, in my opinion.

7:

511:

However, I’d like to see a 511 LWB, as it’d probably still be something I’d want for my collection.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they do some kind of MTO last swap for your “511” MacNeil’s? Never heard of a MacNeil on anything other than the 7.

I don’t have anything against the 511 (I own several Shelton’s on that last), but the more aggressively tapered toe of the 7 makes for a sleeker shoe, in my opinion.

7:

511:

However, I’d like to see a 511 LWB, as it’d probably still be something I’d want for my collection.
Yea they did it was a GMTO I started, some members here have them. Exposed eyelets 511 last. I don’t really think of gunboats as sleek so perhaps that is why. I see them as chunky more casual styles. But we all have our preferences. As for photos I know there are some back in the older threads but I cannot remember the dates off the top of my head.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1209276

View attachment 1209277

View attachment 1209278

View attachment 1209279

View attachment 1209280

PM me if interested...

I didn’t think the Shane was ever made
on the 42N. I have the Barrett, the sister to the Shane, and it is on the 42.

madhat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea they did it was a GMTO I started, some members here have them. Exposed eyelets 511 last. I don’t really think of gunboats as sleek so perhaps that is why. I see them as chunky more casual styles. But we all have our preferences. As for photos I know there are some back in the older threads but I cannot remember the dates off the top of my head.
Yup. You started that at the end of 2017. I was on the fence, and eventually backed out. Looking back, I probably should have stayed in it as they look fantastic.
I also agree the Alden Barrie/AE 511 more rounded look is more in line with gunboats. The 97 doesn't fit me so well either...
That said, misterfu certainly knows his way around longwings! :p

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup. You started that at the end of 2017. I was on the fence, and eventually backed out. Looking back, I probably should have stayed in it as they look fantastic.
I also agree the Alden Barrie/AE 511 more rounded look is more in line with gunboats. The 97 doesn't fit me so well either...
That said, misterfu certainly knows his way around longwings! :p
Wellll... if what y’all want is a REAL gunboat... then you want a pair of these:

Wanna talk gunboats? Then let’s talk about these vintage Hanover LB Sheppard’s: ginormous fudged welt, huge gravity-well inducing soles, 10lbs of leather everything, and six eyelets of lacing to hold this monster to your foot.

Hanover’s actual marketing tagline? Hanover: A Man’s Shoe.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I was reading all of the various comments on MacNeils and mentions of TS 2017, I ran across this picture. Natty shell MacNeils straight out of the box in 2017.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being labeled "Debbie Downer" I regret to report that Calares feels that 30 days of standard use of their cordovan wallets can lead to wear and tear that can include, but is not limited to, the complete lack of, or disintegration of, the stitching holding the thing together. (How's that for a run-on sentence?)
You see, I did not take the precaution of inspecting the stitching in the wallet, prior to use, to verify that it was all there.
As a result of this "wear and tear" the item is neither repairable nor returnable to Allen Edmonds. I am free to take it to a local leather repair shop to have it properly stitched back together, but I am responsible for any repair costs beyond the princely sum of $30.
Now, I understand that Customer Service has no idea whether I stuff my bill fold full of Benjamins (I wish I could but, sadly, I do not), nor do they know just how fat my ass has become. But is it unreasonable to expect them to, at the very least, offer to take a look at it to see if this was defective? I would cover shipping but it was not even an option.
I wish that the standards of quality for AE products had not devolved to this level but based on the feedback comments on this product, stitching is a problem. I wish I had read that review prior to making this purchase.
@ae_ashley please let corporate know how and why they have lost another customer.
Not to rub salt, but can we see pics of what’s going on with the wallet?

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.