• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voice of Reason

Reaction score
I don’t see a wholecut design like that ever passing for casual, even with the brogueing.
That was my fear on those.

I work with guys who wear white soled Cole Hans with everything so I should probably wear whatever the hell I want, but I still feel the need to get approve from the sartorial gods,

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally wouldn’t wear a wholecut or any but the most casual oxfords (McTavish) with jeans.

Looking for the best versatile option for business travel where you wear jeans and suits in same week. Yes, you can pack two pair but sometimes I have space for one.

I find brown over black to be pretty obvious. Brown obviously has a much further range. And bluchers complement jeans in my opinion more so than oxfords. I like adding a grain to make it a bit more casual.

My current go-to has been Players 2.0 in brown grain
It doesn't look out of place with a suit or jeans.
View attachment 1302525

I also bought a pair of vintage Macneils in Scotch grain similar to these:
View attachment 1302526
I think this may be a perfect blend of dress it up and dress it down. These are an AE classic. Some may say they look bulky but I say iconic.

Also, considering getting these weatherproof strandmoks here but I already own StrandMoks (probably somewhat casual for suits but close):

View attachment 1302527

What do you guys think?

Out of those three I think the MacNeil is the winner for versatility, followed by the Players 2.0. The Strandmok is just not good for suits, maybe for an odd coat and trousers. (Though the gunboats aren’t ideal with suits either, it’s a widely accepted combination)

Looking for other versatile options, you could go for a PTB such as the Leeds.

And looks like you’re covered in the chili department. You could go with walnut if you tend to wear lighter suits, but a medium neutral brown would be my choice such as the new Cigar finish.

p.s. You can’t go wrong with a dress boot such as the First Ave. (RIP).

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally wouldn’t wear a wholecut or any but the most casual oxfords (McTavish) with jeans.

Out of those three I think the MacNeil is the winner for versatility, followed by the Players 2.0. The Strandmok is just not good for suits, maybe for an odd coat and trousers. (Though the gunboats aren’t ideal with suits either, it’s a widely accepted combination)

Looking for other versatile options, you could go for a PTB such as the Leeds.

And looks like you’re covered in the chili department. You could go with walnut if you tend to wear lighter suits, but a medium neutral brown would be my choice such as the new Cigar finish.

p.s. You can’t go wrong with a dress boot such as the First Ave. (RIP).
Break all the rules.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not see enough upside for the Weatherproof collection. Seems to me that regular Strandmoks perform just fine in the weather.
The weatherproof Strandmoks are lined, which should be a good for the long-term.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for the best versatile option for business travel where you wear jeans and suits in same week. Yes, you can pack two pair but sometimes I have space for one.

I find brown over black to be pretty obvious. Brown obviously has a much further range. And bluchers complement jeans in my opinion more so than oxfords. I like adding a grain to make it a bit more casual.

View attachment 1302525

View attachment 1302526
I think this may be a perfect blend of dress it up and dress it down. These are an AE classic. Some may say they look bulky but I say iconic.

Also, considering getting these weatherproof strandmoks here but I already own StrandMoks (probably somewhat casual for suits but close):

View attachment 1302527

What do you guys think?

You've really got it right. Not much to add. If you want to branch out into shell cordovan, burgundy shell is about as versatile a color as brown. You could try a burgundy shell Leeds. The brown shell Strand is also an amazing shoe.

If you are interested in boots, I've worn the Dalton in walnut calf with suits, khakis and jeans and it always looks great. Ditto the burgundy shell Dalton. The brown Sullivan Street is also a great bet.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1302525

View attachment 1302526

View attachment 1302527

What do you guys think?

I agree with your arguments, especially with the MacNeils being able to dress up or down. I have worn them with both jeans and a suit. It is not "the best" for either, but it an acceptable choice for both. A cap toe bal or athletic shoe, for my taste, are more dedicated for their respective roles. The MacNeil is dead: Long live the MacNeil."

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the Horween English Tan Dublin Leather McGilicuddys again yesterday.

IMG_3433.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, at the Diehl Marcus & Company Holiday Soiree last night.

IMG_3439.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, another picture from last night.

IMG_3440.jpeg

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few days ago I polished up a pair of 10 or so year old Bel Airs in Walnut and noticed that the saphir light brown may have darkened them a bit. Could just be rehydrating was definitely dried leather. I then put them next to a Delray also in walnut and they were very similar in color.

However - my new out of the box 5th Aves in walnut are noticeably lighter. So much that they are in my eye a completely different color. Not unusual for the 5th walnut, it's the same shade I've seen on all of them so not an anomaly there.

So the question is, what is the difference? Has AE recently (in say the last 4 years) changed their Walnut coloring to be lighter? Or are my darker Walnuts just a product of aging and patina? Ideally I would like to keep the 5th Aves at their current color, so I'm a little nervous to use the Saphir Light Brown polish on them.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MacNeils dressed down for the day.

E575EAF9-9B11-4C0D-AD0E-4B37140D86A1.jpeg

schweezly

Reaction score
Anyone have a fit comparison of cordovan Daltons vs cordovan Higgins or Macneil? I know generally speaking they should be around the same, mainly wondering if people find the toebox in the Dalton tighter all things considered

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wore the Horween English Tan Dublin Leather McGilicuddys again yesterday.

View attachment 1302545

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, at the Diehl Marcus & Company Holiday Soiree last night.

View attachment 1302551

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads, another picture from last night.

View attachment 1302560
@Roycru. Very nice and must be a lot of fun to hang with that group. However, the folks assembled in the pic above at first looked to be on fire. ? No doubt I need new glasses (which is true).

And about last night's holiday gathering, for those who think their footwear gets overlooked, reviewing my pics this morning, I can't help but notice that Santa himself cast an admiring glance at my shoes.. and seasonal socks. And now explains why I heard him exclaim Ho. Ho. Whooa!
? Ps. I hope you received my letter about the Jingle Mocs. ? I've been very good. Honest, Santa. Honest.

Attachments

• 20191220_192815.jpg
    20191220_192815.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene