1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

2. savvysartorial

savvysartorial Distinguished Member

AWESOME! DB blazer or sport coat with brass buttons? It's such a powerful style!

This is true and I think people (wrongly) associate DB suits with that look!

WOW Lawrence Fellows. Never knew the guy's name but I've seen those illustrations for many, many years and never knew (or bothered) to look up who did them. That's incredible thanks so much for the thoughtful post.

I'm going to be lost now looking at those photos for ages!

I can't wait to see the 2'' cuff. I honestly don't think it'll look big on me since I'm 6'7''. I simply think they'll be proportionate.

I NEED a seersucker suit so badly :p

I actually just got that email and I guess it was my subconscious talking! Good timing!

Hahaha. I'll try not to!

Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart are my style icons along with Steve McQueen for the "cool casual". I have read that about him and his costumes for the movies; he always had it written into his contracts that any clothes made for the films (his suits) he was allowed to keep. A throwback from his days growing up poor.

I agree with the pinnacle of men's style. Sometimes I wish I was born in a different era. I think it's easier to step out of the norm or look "classic" nowadays because men's dress styles are so dreadful.

He is one of my favorite actors; absolutely love his films.

If I can even be 10% as classic as CG I think I have won the battle.

Free returns, no questions! They were my first foray into Alden as well and they're the reason I have a bunch of Alden now.

Terribly sad news. That's why I LOVE BB. All my Alden loafers are from BB because of their huge sales. BIG WIN!

3. ace13x

ace13x Distinguished Member

Shell often fits slightly looser than calf. Likely due to the way in which it conforms to the last due to it's stiffness and the shoemaker not applying as much tension to prevent tearing.

Do you mean the leather sole? The J.R. Rendenbach sole is harder than the regular leather soles AE uses, and in terms of wear, it will also last longer. If you mean the shell cordovan is stiff, compared to lined calf, it is. Especially when new.

4. orange fury

orange fury Distinguished Member

Is that actually what you named your cat? Because holy sh*t that’s cool

5. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

This has also been my experience, but with a change over time for calf. Calf starts up much tighter, but then it stretches. Shell seemsnto be static in overall size, but you can cause it to take some shape. For example, lacing shell the same way and tying it tightly repeatedly will make the shell take to that kind of lacing. Calf seems to start out a bit tighter and then as you stretch it, the lacing gets tighter, too

6. instigateur

instigateur Distinguished Member

At a work dinner, last week, I heard Humpty Dance and started singing. Everyone else got it.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

7. cc808314

cc808314 Distinguished Member

That looks darker than the bourbon shells that I have seen. I know Solegarb’s description on IG says bourbon, but the shade is closer to armagnac. Of course, with shell every hide is different and different lighting conditions can change the color.

8. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Except black, which appears to be very consistent

9. armedferret

armedferret Distinguished Member

I'll be wearing this one night at EDC this May....

IMG_20181231_235932_824.jpg

10. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

Finally got my new shearling drivers. The lining makes them A LOT tighter. They'll flatten and stretch and be ok then, me thinks.
    Something I really didn't expect... they seem to promote my feet rolling out since the lugs don't extend the width of the shoe. If you have weak ankles avoid, or you may end up with a twisted/broken ankle.

20190217_144717.jpg

11. EZB

EZB Distinguished Member

Not for me! I’ve been known to fall and rolle my ankle over nothing! Those socks look great though.

12. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Yes, our cat is named Iggy, and I always call her Iggy Smalls.

13. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

Greetings, weasels. I've really been wrestling with whether to get a second trunk show pair, and remembered that @Joe Schmoe had a brilliant suggestion to make a "wish list" earlier in the year. I've already crossed off #1 (bourbon, close enough), and my next consideration for a trunk show option isn't technically on the list, but is specific example called out in #2.

I'm thinking about burg HMs - my issue is that I don't know how often I would reach for them over other casual shell options, such as the incoming Leeds (or truffle dundees, etc. etc.). If I think about my (likely) most common use case for HMs, it would probably be as a bad-weather option, so suede or CXL makes more sense (this isn't helped by the positive signs about a potential suede trunk show). Someone beat me to the @Vocans offer - that would have put me into "well, now I HAVE to..." territory. For those of you with shell HMs - you know what to do.

EDIT: I should mention that my list above stands. I'm thinking #5 will be Vass, and that #6 will be Carmina unless the AE suede trunk show (a) materializes and (b) is so awesome it lets me mix materials.

14. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Sent my proof of purchases in to unlock the Green Leeds achievement. Now to wait patiently for my decoder ring.

Thanks to our friend in SC for the hookup!

15. mreams99

mreams99 Distinguished Member

Congratulations!