• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me.
This has inspired me to wear my DB jacket for a presentation next week.

AWESOME! DB blazer or sport coat with brass buttons? It's such a powerful style!

It would be "goofy" IF you had major shoulder pads (think Talking Heads in the 1980's). I have a few double breasted suits, and if properly fit, they are quite classic. Just don't want to look like Gordon Gekko, but as I have posted many times - google Lawrence Fellows illustrations for a primer on how to achieve the 1930's/40's classic look in menswear. Which, is still a viable look in menswear as style is timeless, fashion is fleeting.

This is true and I think people (wrongly) associate DB suits with that look!

WOW Lawrence Fellows. Never knew the guy's name but I've seen those illustrations for many, many years and never knew (or bothered) to look up who did them. That's incredible thanks so much for the thoughtful post.

I'm going to be lost now looking at those photos for ages!

That's what I got on that flannel suit I posted yesterday. I figured it will be easy enough to take them down to 1.75 or 1.5 if need be, but so far I like the 2".

winner! love db suits and SCs especially for summer

I can't wait to see the 2'' cuff. I honestly don't think it'll look big on me since I'm 6'7''. I simply think they'll be proportionate.

I NEED a seersucker suit so badly :p

Brooks Brothers (purveyors of a pretty conservative style, let’s be honest) sent an email out on Monday saying that the double breasted suit has returned. View attachment 1127060

I actually just got that email and I guess it was my subconscious talking! Good timing!

Hahaha. I'll try not to!

Can’t lose when using Cary Grant as your style icon. He never used the costume department as he wore his own clothing in his films. IMHO the late 30’s to late 40’s were the pinnacle for men’s style-the cartoonish look of shoulder pads in the 1980’s actually look awesome when tailored in the 1940’s and the difficulty alot of guys have pulling off fedoras would be a non issue if they were wearing the silhouette of Raymond Chandler’s Los Angeles

Cary Grant and Jimmy Stewart are my style icons along with Steve McQueen for the "cool casual". I have read that about him and his costumes for the movies; he always had it written into his contracts that any clothes made for the films (his suits) he was allowed to keep. A throwback from his days growing up poor.

I agree with the pinnacle of men's style. Sometimes I wish I was born in a different era. I think it's easier to step out of the norm or look "classic" nowadays because men's dress styles are so dreadful.

I love Cary Grant and his films!

If you can successfully channel CG, why not?

He is one of my favorite actors; absolutely love his films.

If I can even be 10% as classic as CG I think I have won the battle.

I just jumped into the Alden hole and took a flyer on these in burgundy. I really hope they fit, but if they don’t, I can return. Worth a shot at that price.

Free returns, no questions! They were my first foray into Alden as well and they're the reason I have a bunch of Alden now.

Have heard same about BB and Alden parting ways, which is too bad as BB has sales and other Alden dealers usually don't.ever.have.sales.

Terribly sad news. That's why I LOVE BB. All my Alden loafers are from BB because of their huge sales. BIG WIN!

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore them for a fit on Friday and Saturday and the fit is perfect. I feel like these fit a lot better than the calf Daltons I already own, and I noticed that I can tighten these up a lot better than the calf. Maybe it’s the way the pieces were cut.

Shell often fits slightly looser than calf. Likely due to the way in which it conforms to the last due to it's stiffness and the shoemaker not applying as much tension to prevent tearing.

The leather is also stiff as hell. Maybe it’s because it’s a boot, but they’re a bit hard to walk on. I haven’t worn them all day yet, so we’ll see how that goes today. I had to reschedule dinner with my girlfriend to tonight so we’ll see how that goes.

Do you mean the leather sole? The J.R. Rendenbach sole is harder than the regular leather soles AE uses, and in terms of wear, it will also last longer. If you mean the shell cordovan is stiff, compared to lined calf, it is. Especially when new.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shell often fits slightly looser than calf. Likely due to the way in which it conforms to the last due to it's stiffness and the shoemaker not applying as much tension to prevent tearing.

This has also been my experience, but with a change over time for calf. Calf starts up much tighter, but then it stretches. Shell seemsnto be static in overall size, but you can cause it to take some shape. For example, lacing shell the same way and rtying it

Do you mean the leather sole? The J.R. Rendenbach sole is harder than the regular leather soles AE uses, and in terms of wear, it will also last longer. If you mean the shell cordovan is stiff, compared to lined calf, it is. Especially when new.

This has also been my experience, but with a change over time for calf. Calf starts up much tighter, but then it stretches. Shell seemsnto be static in overall size, but you can cause it to take some shape. For example, lacing shell the same way and tying it tightly repeatedly will make the shell take to that kind of lacing. Calf seems to start out a bit tighter and then as you stretch it, the lacing gets tighter, too

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snoop Dogg just came on the piped in music. Gin and Juice. I started rapping along BECAUSE EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW THE WORDS (lookin at @orange fury ) and suddenly I'm the jerk. These people are wearing slippers and baseball hats and I'm a jerk for rappin with Snoop. Least I'm wearing Spier and AE while i do it.

Kids these days.
At a work dinner, last week, I heard Humpty Dance and started singing. Everyone else got it.

Last edited:

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems with the EG Dover so expensive and highly sought after, everyone had jumped on the bandwagon of a chiseled split toe blucher. I've been looking at a beautiful version from Enzo Bonafe in bourbon shell cordovan.

That looks darker than the bourbon shells that I have seen. I know Solegarb’s description on IG says bourbon, but the shade is closer to armagnac. Of course, with shell every hide is different and different lighting conditions can change the color.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks darker than the bourbon shells that I have seen. I know Solegarb’s description on IG says bourbon, but the shade is closer to armagnac. Of course, with shell every hide is different and different lighting conditions can change the color.
Except black, which appears to be very consistent

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At a work dinner, last week, I heard Humpty Dance and started singing. Everyone else go it.

I'll be wearing this one night at EDC this May....

IMG_20181231_235932_824.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally got my new shearling drivers. The lining makes them A LOT tighter. They'll flatten and stretch and be ok then, me thinks.
Something I really didn't expect... they seem to promote my feet rolling out since the lugs don't extend the width of the shoe. If you have weak ankles avoid, or you may end up with a twisted/broken ankle.

20190217_144717.jpg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got my new shearling drivers. The lining makes them A LOT tighter. They'll flatten and stretch and be ok then, me thinks.
Something I really didn't expect... they seem to promote my feet rolling out since the lugs don't extend the width of the shoe. If you have weak ankles avoid, or you may end up with a twisted/broken ankle.

View attachment 1128352
Not for me! I’ve been known to fall and rolle my ankle over nothing! Those socks look great though.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea, and I think we should do a compare/contrast at the end of the year with everyone’s acquisitions.

My list from AE:

1. Leeds in natty shell. Though I realize chances are slim, I’m still crossing fingers for a trunk show. Here’s hoping. I may add a boot in ruby, depending on options available. I would love the Sullivan in shell and suede.

2. Ashley unicorns. I kind of regret missing out on the HM GMTOs and would love either/both.

My list in general:

3. An NST boot. Not sure on material - maybe CXL, maybe shell, maybe calf. If I came across a bourbon Portland it would be an instant buy (almost was a few months ago, but it didn’t actually exist).

4. Another bad weather option boot (depends on material for #3).

5. Maybe another NST shoe. I’m not 100% I’m keeping the Delrays - I like them but don’t love them - and maybe shell. Or suede.

6. A shell/leather and suede boot. The basic design of the Sullivan.

7. Something Vass. It could be one of the above, or something else, but I’ll be in Budapest ...

Edit:

8. Maaaaybe that woven strand. Or something in the cigar color if they keep that going.

9. and no more loafers. Zero. I overcorrected this year.

Greetings, weasels. I've really been wrestling with whether to get a second trunk show pair, and remembered that @Joe Schmoe had a brilliant suggestion to make a "wish list" earlier in the year. I've already crossed off #1 (bourbon, close enough), and my next consideration for a trunk show option isn't technically on the list, but is specific example called out in #2.

I'm thinking about burg HMs - my issue is that I don't know how often I would reach for them over other casual shell options, such as the incoming Leeds (or truffle dundees, etc. etc.). If I think about my (likely) most common use case for HMs, it would probably be as a bad-weather option, so suede or CXL makes more sense (this isn't helped by the positive signs about a potential suede trunk show). Someone beat me to the @Vocans offer - that would have put me into "well, now I HAVE to..." territory. For those of you with shell HMs - you know what to do.

EDIT: I should mention that my list above stands. I'm thinking #5 will be Vass, and that #6 will be Carmina unless the AE suede trunk show (a) materializes and (b) is so awesome it lets me mix materials.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sent my proof of purchases in to unlock the Green Leeds achievement. Now to wait patiently for my decoder ring.

Thanks to our friend in SC for the hookup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads