1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. SonnyUte

SonnyUte Senior Member

Does a pair of shoes/boots generally require one shell?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

2. jet-stream

jet-stream Distinguished Member

Lobster, apologies if this is late to need, but I have a couple of thoughts. For background, I travel a lot, and my travel suits are almost exclusively navy (or a slightly lighter dark blue) and mid to dark grey (not charcoal).

1. I often can only take one pair of shoes - if so, no question that it will be a burgundy/merlot/etc pair (I have a pair of Carminas I MTO’d specifically for this application, in fact). I don’t think burgundy is the best choice for either color individually, but in my mind there is no question it’s the best single choice for both. The one color to rule them all.

2. If I take two pairs, it will probably be a (dark) brown for the navy and a blue (usually shell wholecut) for the grey. These are my favorite matches when all options are on the table.

3. If I’m taking three pairs, I mean, you don’t want to repeat a suit color with a pair of shoes, so burgundy goes back in.

4. If I have no practical limitations on travel space, I’ll bring something nice but a bit more casual for the inevitable after-work forced fun function. This is basically why tasseled loafers exist (especially those with some texture like suede), and reason #27 that you should get down on dem Palm Beaches.

5. I’m one that doesn’t like walnut with navy because it’s too loud. I do think bourbon with navy is ok, but I wouldn’t do it with a navy suit - just trousers/odd jacket so the jacket can balance the lighter color of the shoes. With grey, sure, but only a mid or light grey, and it’s probably not the single best choice IMO. This could be your after-work shoe, though.

6. All of the shoe choices, especially with multiple shoes, would be informed by the ties I was taking. I have ... let’s just say, a LOT of ties, and my OCD has a lot of fun doing deep and/or subtle matching. For instance, I have several ties that specifically incorporate blue and brown, and would absolutely be pairing that tie with brown shoes. I’d avoid burg shoes with an orange tie, etc etc.

I don’t know exactly the level of formality of your work next week, but suits, so I can guess. In your shoes (ha), I would probably do:

1. Merlot PA or Hops - navy suit
    2. Something (dark) brown (not gator PA because airlines - maybe Carlyle or PA, something along those lines?) - navy suit #2
    3. Green shell PA - grey suit. Just because green shell. Also, post lots of picks to weasel others into green shell.
    4. Something more casual for after hours - bourbon strand, or chili university (would double as a backup for a rainy day)

Also, investigate loafer options for future #4 :devil:

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019

3. jet-stream

Amazing.

4. jet-stream

Generally, yes, one pair of shoes = one horse butt-worth of shell. Note that they don’t always come in one piece as @St Hubbins posted - sometimes two pieces from the same animal.

However, depending on the type of boot and the shoe size, may take more. I recall @BagleyBrown said that one of his rancourt pairs took 4 shells (2 pairs).

5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Distinguished Member

That looks great. Skoak has a very similar Bonafé model in calf on the 363mod last right now. I got in on a limited run in snuff suede last spring.

6. ProfilaBinding

ProfilaBinding Distinguished Member

Thank you sir for your in depth response. Greatly appreciated!

I'll start by saying that I don't need to take a 4th shoe, because the University can nicely cover the burgundy role and also serve as a rain shoe (it almost certainly will rain or snow in St. Louis). It also serves as a comfort shoe for the airport and walking in general. However, I do plan to take my merlot PA is a second option for the navy suits.

I'll might get criticism for saying this, but I've grown to not like wearing a dark brown Bartlett with a dark navy suit. I know that's considered very appropriate, but to my eyes, it just looks strange. I much prefer to wear dark brown with green slacks/chinos. I think both of these shoes would look stunning with an olive or tan suit, which sadly I don't have. I actually see walnut as a better looking shoe with my navy suits than dark brown. Am I alone in this opinion? Have I gone insane?

Nice try on the Palm Beaches. Still trying to weasel me, 'eh? :rotflmao: They are nice, I'm not going to deny it. Maybe if Ashley can track down a pair, I might bite later this year. We'll see. Unlikely though considering they are on clearance for the second time.

7. St Hubbins

St Hubbins Distinguished Member

I think it’s one pair per two shells, or one pair per horse since there’s one shell per side of the rump. That’s also why most shell belts are not made of one single piece of shell. It is very rare to have the shells connected in such a way to allow for a single belt-sized piece of shell to be cut. Haven’t checked to see if this has been answered. Correct me if I’m wrong.

8. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

Yes, the extra tall Rancourt Pamolas, I was told they need 4 shells in my size 15d. This is part of my sense that the HM is a bit of a bargain in my size for $725. I do not think they can make a pair for me with just 2 shells.

9. smfdoc

smfdoc Distinguished Member

Los Angeles. "Swimmin' pools; movie stars."
    I've always had a theory about the names rappers give themselves. They are made up for future deniability. Curmudgeon that I am, I always imagine that some day people who come to the realization that rap was people shouting bad poetry. Then someone will spot an old former rapper and say, "Hey aren't you "OG rap master shady ice?" and, out of embarrassment, he will deny it and say, "Naw, my name is Walter."

10. armedferret

armedferret Distinguished Member

I've arrived at a new-to-me FFL to transfer a break action shotgun i purchased. It's very.....out in the sticks.

If i end up being worn as a skin suit, you 9.5Bs can split my footwear.

11. Draconestra

Draconestra Well-Known Member

724ED988-F883-4535-902F-B4102DC9DD67.jpeg 7EC36B8D-1455-4473-8ED8-AE3D0C5596F3.jpeg So as I said, my Shell Daltons game in the mail last Friday. I checked them out and didn’t see any major imperfections, except for a small nick here and there. It’s something that kinda bothered me, but I didn’t see the point of playing the return and exchange game on these and wait yet another month and a half.

I wore them for a fit on Friday and Saturday and the fit is perfect. I feel like these fit a lot better than the calf Daltons I already own, and I noticed that I can tighten these up a lot better than the calf. Maybe it’s the way the pieces were cut.

I also noticed that they’re a tiny bit taller than the calf version because it’s prery obvious when I insert the boot trees.

The leather is also stiff as hell. Maybe it’s because it’s a boot, but they’re a bit hard to walk on. I haven’t worn them all day yet, so we’ll see how that goes today. I had to reschedule dinner with my girlfriend to tonight so we’ll see how that goes.

As for the nicks I mentioned earlier, apparently I’ve already applied some more myself with the two wears I’ve already done. I take it it’s normal and they’ll eventually buff out whenever I do manage to clean and care for them.

Anyways, so far so good. Definitely like the purchase and I wish I could participate in the current Trunk Show, but I’ll have to skip it this time as I have other planned expenses later this year.

12. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

Congrats! These are like a gateway drug. Will up your game as an option, and it doesn't hurt that they fit great. I read a quote from Skip Horween today, something to the effect that some men will buy 1 $700 pair of shoes and others will buy 7 $100 pairs. Difference is that the shell will last 20+ years. You chose a winner there.

13. James1051

James1051 Distinguished Member

½

14. macher

macher Senior Member

I sized down 1/2 size from my Brannock size. I’m an 8D and got a 7.5D.

15. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

20190127_102434.jpg

20190120_132806.jpg

20181231_152557.jpg

20181216_132254.jpg