1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2019 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by St Hubbins, Dec 31, 2018.

1. darkclassic

darkclassic Senior Member

This simply will not do. There is no shelf for my top hat.. no hanger for my monocle. I say good day to you sir, GOOD. DAY.

2. Genericuser1

Genericuser1 Senior Member

You also forgot a cane holder yes its pure RUBBISH!

3. audog

audog Distinguished Member

Is that a regular cane, or one with a sword?

4. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

That is roughly where I'm at. No spreadsheet for # wears, etc, but I do lust after a valet. Last Christmas my sister bought me an antique hardwood one and I kindly thanked her and got her to return it and keep the money, as she had spent too much on it. I did keep the vintage bespoke camel hair jacket she thrifted to help display the valet, though. We had named the valet "Uncle Charlie" after Charlie Watts, His Sartorial Musical Genius.

5. madhat

madhat Distinguished Member

She was willing to get it for you and you made her return it even though it was a well thought out gift? Sick burn!

6. Paul902

Paul902 Senior Member

I know, horrible brother, eh?! It was a surprise gift, and I was touched, and intrigued, but just not sure how much I would use it, and therefore could not justify how much she spent. It was the thought that counted, and she was better with the money in her pocket.

7. audog

audog Distinguished Member

I joined as well, even though I know they will be about 4 inches too long. Couldn't pass up Cone Mills denim. I'm trying a slim fit with this one, not the straight fit. May look better with boots and the massive cuffs I know I will have to have on them.

8. pedarius

pedarius Well-Known Member

I have a valet--a gift from my wife years ago. At least in my experience, the idea is better than the reality. Only time I truly find it useful is when I have a 5:00 am flight to a place where I need to be wearing a suit on arrival. The rest of the time it just feels like an ostentatious extra step, and mine more often than not ends up just as the "lazy rack" for something I've taken off and don't want to hang up just yet.

Oh, and shoes to keep it relevant: my rainy day beater black Jeffersons from the RDA sale last fall...
    5B2F464A-D3DE-44B5-A3BA-825964FA6084.jpeg

9. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Thought my natty Dundee’s we’re looking a little ragged yesterday, so I put them through the works this morning: water brush, Reno, brush, deer bone, brush, saphir cordo cream, brush, paste wax the toe, buff.

Viola:

8C126FCD-E86A-4CCF-9590-D6B9B33E630F.jpeg D1EA18E1-21CD-4414-8AF3-85E8F6AE8DC7.jpeg

10. madhat

You call it ostentatious (and I agree to some extent), I call it making an occasion of the mundane. Life's much better when things aren't mundane. It's kinda like taking the extra time to straight razor shave or brush your shell. I could very easily see it's use tapering after about a week of use in my house though.

11. madhat

*Swoon*

12. shoenoobie

shoenoobie Senior Member

Casual Friday with non AE - Something I would love to see AE do more often.. - two tone with suede.
    IMG_20190118_073227__01.jpg

13. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

If the ad is true, they are shutting down the shoebank. Wow.

14. madhat

Yeah, it's marketing BS though... they're just taking them off the main site again

15. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Distinguished Member

Well, they made me look. :)