• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MansardRoof

Reaction score

I have to admit that the steady stream of shell shoes has been impressive. Even though I have a couple of pair of non-AE shell shoes, I have been hesitant to chase them at current prices. So I will play with a non-AE shoe/ leather.
Gravati Croc full-strap penny loafers in brown
Do you think prices would ever fall?. I pray that my son (18 mos) becomes a size 10 in his adult life.
1f602.png

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All this talk of the brown grain Macneil makes me very sad that I didn't pick one up when they went in clearance. I can't find a pair on Shoebank or eBay either.

As an alternative, provided you are inclined that way, is a vintage Florsheim LWB. They are fairly common on Ebay, including lightly used pairs and you can usually find them in the $40-80 range without difficulty. Made in USA, they are great quality, unlike the offshore crap they later produced. I have several pairs.

Last edited:

MattRiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think prices would ever fall?. I pray that my son (18 mos) becomes a size 10 in his adult life.
1f602.png
My dad and I are both 12 Bs... have wondered the same thing as I amass my collection.

BTW, those boots in your avi are impressive.

MansardRoof

Reaction score

Quote:My dad and I are both 12 Bs... have wondered the same thing as I amass my collection.

BTW, those boots in your avi are impressive.
I share the same size as my dad too. The question is at what age will he appreciate them? Thanks. They're Alden's, with about 50 coats of Saphir MdO
1f602.png
b53c50127ed1e5c1d6c1e949c127527e.jpg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
1f602.png

No chance they will fall. Alden just went from $710 to 740. If you want a bargain you should look for used, seconds or the mistaken sale price at J Crew. But new shell is in more demand now and tighter supply.

MansardRoof

Reaction score

No chance they will fall. Alden just went from $710 to 740. If you want a bargain you should look for used, seconds or the mistaken sale price at J Crew. But new shell is in more demand now and tighter supply.

I agree. With Alden raising their prices every spring, the time to buy was yesterday.
26a0.png

2Deuce2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my Shell email today! My Natty Cornwallis with Natty Welt did NOT pass muster, and are getting remade. Spoke to the store manager and he said he wasn't given details, but he knows that if they get put up for sale, I'm first in line. So we wait, living vicariously thru you guys.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
This is from an article one year ago. Click here for the original.

"Not to flog a dead horse, but there's been a growing shortage of cordovan that's not going to let up any time soon. Thanks in part to what can only be described as #menswear, demand for cordovan has skyrocketed over the past several years thanks to blogs, message boards and social media, which have exposed younger consumers to loafers and lace-ups made of shell cordovan.

Part of the crunch is that there are only a few tanneries that produce horse leather. Chicago-based Horween Leathers, founded in 1905, is the world's leading producer. When Nettleton decided to start offering cordovan shoes one year into its comeback, it was forced to look beyond Horween. "Cordovan requires a long tanning process," says Edward Tognioni, "the material is limited, and demand is relatively high. Prices keep going up and it's increasingly difficult to get."

This is why I ordered two pairs in the trunk show and really wondered if there was ever going to be a show.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Everything looks better in shell
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Well they're amazing - congrats! Wonder what they'd look like with flat laces...

Any recommendations on how to take care of Dublin leather? Is it like CXL so no polish required? Will Saphir Renovateur be a good idea?

I'd use Bick 4 as a pure conditioner and Renovateur or Saphir Greasy Leather Cream. The latter will leave a much more matte finish (which I like). I've seen some stuff on Horween's site and other places that recommend very light coatings of neatsfoot oil as well.

My McT's are Dublin, and it's a terrific leather that needs very little...

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the same size as my dad (12D), and my 15-year-old looks like he might get close - already a 10.5D. I'd love to think all these shoes wind up with him, though his shoe-passion is Air Jordans, especially vintage/rare releases...

Reaction score
I love the pics of the new shell cordovan shoes that so many of you have been sharing. If I ever buy a pair of shell shoes, it would likely not be a strictly casual shoe, like a boot or loafer; I would like to be able to wear it with suits. What shell styles would you recommend? It seems as if some of the depth of color shell allows would be lost with black. Perhaps a burgundy Park Avenue or a brown Strand?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love the pics of the new shell cordovan shoes that so many of you have been sharing. If I ever buy a pair of shell shoes, it would likely not be a strictly casual shoe, like a boot or loafer; I would like to be able to wear it with suits. What shell styles would you recommend? It seems as if some of the depth of color shell allows would be lost with black. Perhaps a burgundy Park Avenue or a brown Strand?

I do not have an issue with either of those shoes and colors. You will have some on the thread hold that shell is not appropriate for a suit and you should wear calf. I do not agree and happily wear #8 and black shell with suits, depending on their color. Some of these same people will also argue that brogued shoes are not appropriate with a suit and they should only be cap toe balmorals. I think you should get what looks good and works for you. For example, #8 long wing blucher with a light gray suit. Just remember, the majority of guys wearing suites these days wear some horrible glued together rubber sole bicycle toe loafer. You are already miles ahead.

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Well they're amazing - congrats! Wonder what they'd look like with flat laces...

I'd use Bick 4 as a pure conditioner and Renovateur or Saphir Greasy Leather Cream. The latter will leave a much more matte finish (which I like). I've seen some stuff on Horween's site and other places that recommend very light coatings of neatsfoot oil as well.

My McT's are Dublin, and it's a terrific leather that needs very little...
Thanks for the info!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my jar of Renovateur today. Pre Reno shell (super dry):

Post Reno shell:

Not too shabby for $220 seconds :nodding:

Shoes4play

Reaction score
Received my jar of Renovateur today. Pre Reno shell (super dry):

Post Reno shell:

Not too shabby for $220 seconds
nod[1].gif

Not too shabby at all. They look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads