• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have them. They look pretty nice. Unfortunately, when I had mine refinished recently (screwed up the color because of my ignorance of the AE Conditioner Cleaner) the new burnishing left some darker marks that now highlight the creases. It doesn't look bad, but I would prefer they not be there. The color though, is much improved and looks closer to when I first got them.

So far i've only used Saddle Soap on my two Bourbon pairs, have you found a conditioner that's safe to use on yours?

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far i've only used Saddle Soap on my two Bourbon pairs, have you found a conditioner that's safe to use on yours?

Bick 4 is the best option I've found. However, even it can sometimes remove a small amount of the finish / burnishing. Just use it in very small amounts and condition only when needed.

After seeing what the CC was starting to do to my Harrison's in black, I've stopped using the product. It's an extremely aggressive product on the finish. I'll be sticking with Bick 4 and AE Leather Lotion.

up1911fan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bick 4 is the best option I've found. However, even it can sometimes remove a small amount of the finish / burnishing. Just use it in very small amounts and condition only when needed.

After seeing what the CC was starting to do to my Harrison's in black, I've stopped using the product. It's an extremely aggressive product on the finish. I'll be sticking with Bick 4 and AE Leather Lotion.
Thanks, i've got Leather Lotion, just haven't used it on the Bourbon yet. No experience with Bick4.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see what you did there....

Back to the conversation from last night, what on earth was AE thinking with that new Grantham. Shockingly disappointing spring collection for shoes coupled with price hikes. Apologies if anyone liked these new and recycled (for the worse) offerings but I wouldn't wear these if they were free. Ruin the shanon drive? Check. Cove Drive aka CH awful. At least when the Unions came out they were offset with the HM and some better options. Also noticed several of these are made in DR. If it weren't for the belts I'd say the entire new portion is a pretty big step back. Thoughts?

I couldn't agree more, but whatever; no gun to my head to purchase. In the Grantham AE has managed to create a shoe equivalent of what in the shirt world is colloquially called a "skeet".

The biggest disappointment was yet another price increase. Sure the informed know to wait for the seemingly endless string of sales, but if as the norm, those consist of $100-150 off or 30% off those sale prices have also gone up. I can forgive the WTF designs, if those appeal to the unwashed masses, and in turn help to keep overall prices down. But I don't think is or will be the case. To me those designs are marketed to people who think $80 is overpaying for shoes. Its just not going to fly.

They need to focus on what they did with the Higgins Mill. Basic or classic designs, on comfortable lasts, made with quality materials, and aggressively priced (at least on launch). These things will grow their user base far better and more fervently than attempting to follow whatever the current trend may be.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like. Understated, but has class.

I wonder if it would be appropriate to wear Leeds (or PTBs in general) with a suit. Do you all have any example photos?
Example.... Go to the Pentagon or any formal State of Affairs where the military is present. The most formal military dress uniform will be wearing a PTB. Because the military issue black PTB leaves a lot to be desired good chance that a number of them will be AE black calf Leeds. It has been 20 years since I have retired but still feel a black or burgundy PTB shoe is always a good shoe, for any circumstance.

I will wear black calf and burgundy Leeds with suits, in addition to PA's of course. And also, wait for it... black and burgundy shell Dundee's. I am not the only one. And no one has thrown me in jail yet. Long story not going to get into the whole thing right now but a year and a half ago when my son was laying in the hospital at Mayo Clinic with complications from chemo and blood infection for his advanced stage IVB cancer the number 1 heart surgeon in the world came in to discuss options with me, I had my son's power of attorney for making medical decisions. The surgeon was wearing a beautiful suit and wearing Alden #8 shell chukkas, old enough that they were almost brown. I had on AE burgundy Dundee's, well aged but a little more red yet. Can't tell you today what options 1, 2, 3A and 3B where (exactly) from the surgeon. I told the surgeon to go with what he felt was best practice and his experience. But I can tell you a PTB is good enough for a suit outside of those that work in social circles that require "other" footwear to be proper. And would hope you would know or not if you are in that circle.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If one cannot discuss style in "style forum," then I suppose we're left with posting pictures of meat and small prairie mammals...

I was just having a little fun. Of course I am all for showing the proper amount of respect for whatever situation you happen to be in, and one way to do so is by wearing appropriate attire.

It does, however, make me glad that I am not bound by a particular dress code on a day-to-day basis especially in an environment where I would be judged by zealots who think they know more about what's appropriate and what's not than I do. I think if it's clear that you're showing the appropriate amount of respect for the situation you're in, then that should be good enough... generally speaking.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you go back a long ways in these threads think you find me saying the same thing about Bick 4, I agree.

This was after I thought I destroyed a pair of Wilbert's from changing a car tire on my sisters car in a parking lot that had very abrasive pavement in the middle of summer. But overall I use different conditioners and cleaners depending on leather and some other factors play in also. But hard to go wrong with Bick 4.

RMB35

Reaction score

I see what you did there....

Back to the conversation from last night, what on earth was AE thinking with that new Grantham. Shockingly disappointing spring collection for shoes coupled with price hikes. Apologies if anyone liked these new and recycled (for the worse) offerings but I wouldn't wear these if they were free. Ruin the shanon drive? Check. Cove Drive aka CH awful. At least when the Unions came out they were offset with the HM and some better options. Also noticed several of these are made in DR. If it weren't for the belts I'd say the entire new portion is a pretty big step back. Thoughts?

The Cove And Shannon Drive are $257. Seems AE is aiming to compete with the cheaper shoe makers. Which is too bad as I like the colors of the new Shannon. If it would have been made in US with CXL (I assume the leather on the new version is also cheaper) and a decent sole I would buy it.

vmss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't see it as a step backward. It just looked like they didn't take a step at all.
Don't they pay people to design shoes?
That's all that they could come up with?

Maybe these new designs portrays the new direction of AE under their new ownership.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Example.... Go to the Pentagon or any formal State of Affairs where the military is present. The most formal military dress uniform will be wearing a PTB. Because the military issue black PTB leaves a lot to be desired good chance that a number of them will be AE black calf Leeds. It has been 20 years since I have retired but still feel a black or burgundy PTB shoe is always a good shoe, for any circumstance.

I will wear black calf and burgundy Leeds with suits, in addition to PA's of course. And also, wait for it... black and burgundy shell Dundee's. I am not the only one. And no one has thrown me in jail yet. Long story not going to get into the whole thing right now but a year and a half ago when my son was laying in the hospital at Mayo Clinic with complications from chemo and blood infection for his advanced stage IVB cancer the number 1 heart surgeon in the world came in to discuss options with me, I had my son's power of attorney for making medical decisions. The surgeon was wearing a beautiful suit and wearing Alden #8 shell chukkas, old enough that they were almost brown. I had on AE burgundy Dundee's, well aged but a little more red yet. Can't tell you today what options 1, 2, 3A and 3B where (exactly) from the surgeon. I told the surgeon to go with what he felt was best practice and his experience. But I can tell you a PTB is good enough for a suit outside of those that work in social circles that require "other" footwear to be proper. And would hope you would know or not if you are in that circle.

My father have worn uniform boots similar to these. They look good to me.

styleaudit91

Reaction score

The MDs out in the wild again. This time with a splash of Bonobos color. Big fan of the price and fit of their offerings. Their standard slim chinos fit my build better than most.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My favorite TX BBQ comes from my back yard.
Or my deck for me, at the other end of I-35 LOL. Don't go more than a couple of days without smoking or grilling on charcoal or even gas. Although it does require shoveling snow this time of year more than I care for.

Quote:
Amen. Although I am cool with meat and small prairie mammals. Does a small mammal on the prairie count with birds?

Last edited:

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe these new designs portrays the new direction of AE under their new ownership.

I don't think that this is related to direction under their new ownership.
These shoes were deigned many months ago, trialed and tested. The leather was sourced, production methods and tooling finished, etc. There hasn't been enough time since the ownership change to make these kinds of design changes.
If there's a change, it will still be a while before we see it.

amphillips79

Reaction score

Amen. Although I am cool with meat and small prairie mammals. Does a small mammal on the prairie count with birds?
LL
LL
I think you just turned me on a little... is it wrong to tell another guy 'nice looking meat!' Lol.

Last edited:

Biggquis

Reaction score

Got my $50 Strands in today :) pretty sure these are Walnut, but they are a lot darker than my last pair of Strands in the same color. Anyone else notice a variation in color between shoes like that? Also, what colo creams/polishes have you all experimented on Walnut with? Any pictures?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads