• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpyeoman

Reaction score
Anyone know what happened to the Vernons that were on clearance? There were lots in black in stock and then they were gone. Surprised they'd move so fast all of a sudden?

Also, the "new" Hale was a Black Friday special, correct? Any quality difference via-a-via main line? I've seen posts that they're on the 97 last, but the website states 8. Can anyone confirm?

Evening, all. Can anyone provide some insights on the bolded questions above? Thinking of picking up a pair.

cardsfan89

Reaction score
Evening, all. Can anyone provide some insights on the bolded questions above? Thinking of picking up a pair.

I don’t have any personal experience with the shoe, but AE customer service responded to several fit questions on their website and reiterated that it’s made on the 8 last.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe the "mistake" McT's" were AE using up surplus leather. Either Chestnut Dublin or Cognac/Tan Dublin that didn't meet the original specs. Top row of the image below are Horween Dublin, left to right: Cognac, Chestnut, Tan.
View attachment 898346

I have a pair. It pretty much matches the Chestnut swatch. I got mine from ShoeBank long after the McT was discontinued, which further supports, though doesn't prove, my speculation. As I stated before AE will often use up extra leather as seconds, like the Wilberts I posted a few weeks ago.
I agree that it looks mightily like the chestnut swatch. I'd come to the same conclusion a while back, though it does seem like a failed dye job in some ways. They're getting a bit more tan over time and losing a bit of the antiqued look on the vamp/toe (still looks great to me though). I know Grant Stone takes natty CXL and wipes a brown dye on it to get a darker tone without going brown, and thought AE might be doing something like that to Tan Dublin to get Cognac. Maybe they were experimenting with the Chestnut?

Whatever it was, I wish they'd do it some more!

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't screw around with it. Flu is srs. Had it once, and it really, really sucked.
This was pretty mild. I’m not any sort of doctor so maybe this was something else and not literal flu. Didn’t come off like a cold but also no, how you say, gastrointestinal consequences involved. Anyway, I licked it quicker than the family average and was feeling right as rain by noon. Now I’m just replenishing my precious bodily fluids as I was down 4 lbs in a day.

No shoe pics today as I spent the most of the rest of the day that I was feeling fine troubleshooting for my son as he’s been trying to build this cursed Meccano Spider. I’d have spent less time building it entirely myself, so I hope he’s learning something from all of this.

Didn’t get my moleskin pants to the tailor today. With the upcoming itinerary I doubt that it will be possible until the new year. This causes slight disappointment because the results of the tests that have taken place on these pants so far have been extremely positive. Perhaps I will run a few more shoe-specific tests tonight and post the results.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was pretty mild. I’m not any sort of doctor so maybe this was something else and not literal flu. Didn’t come off like a cold but also no, how you say, gastrointestinal consequences involved. Anyway, I licked it quicker than the family average and was feeling right as rain by noon. Now I’m just replenishing my precious bodily fluids as I was down 4 lbs in a day.

The flu causes zero gastrointestinal symptoms. So the absence of such doesn’t preclude that possibility.

There is no such thing as a “stomach flu.”

Hope you’re feeling better!

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry - I coined the term for seconds of the Cognac 4045 McT that look like front shoe below. The rear shoe is the color they're supposed to be:
zJmJRQC.jpg

A happy accident IMHO, and my favorite overall pair of shoes...
Still bummed about arriving on the scene too late for these. Love that leather.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can add pictures. Which type of shots would help the most? Thank you!
Overhead with you wearing them standing and laced up. Point out where your toes are if you can.

Edit: Never mind.

Last edited:

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the crease when I raise my heel and put the pressure on the front of my foot as well as where my toe sits. The thumb is on the toenail of the big toe.

I've also attached a difference in lacing. The Park Aves 10E has lacing that was predone when I received them and the Strands I did myself. The Strands don't tend to suffer from as much heel slippage but the sides seem to dig in on my ankles - would the lacing impact that by holding it down tighter to the top of my foot? View attachment 898774 View attachment 898775 View attachment 898776 View attachment 898782 View attachment 898786 View attachment 898787
I think I would try a 9.5 E, going down a half is only going to be a 1/6 of an inch less, and you have enough room to give up. The pinching on the 10D's is not good at all so you probably need an E to accommodate your width. The 10E's look too big overall based on the slippage and the completely closed V-gap (they're new correct?). Going to 9.5E should cure, or at least help, the slippage and pinching.

How did you determine your size? If you haven't done so get an accurate Brannock measurement, width, heel to toe, and heel to ball measurements. It will help you figure out sizing in the different AE lasts.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could make it into an AE store but it's a good five hour trip each way and a $150 ferry ride.

Where do you live? Is there a Nordstrom nearby? If so see if they have some other sizes to try out. It may be a hassle and expensive ($150???) but ultimately bad fitting shoes aren't worth it. At least see ig you can exchange the Strands by mail more a 9.5E and see if they work out better. Then if you have to wear the PA's temporarily and offload them on eBay or here when you can.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I would try a 9.5 E, going down a half is only going to be a 1/6 of an inch less, and you have enough room to give up. The pinching on the 10D's is not good at all so you probably need an E to accommodate your width. The 10E's look too big overall based on the slippage and the completely closed V-gap (they're new correct?). Going to 9.5E should cure, or at least help, the slippage and pinching.

How did you determine your size? If you haven't done so get an accurate Brannock measurement, width, heel to toe, and heel to ball measurements. It will help you figure out sizing in the different AE lasts.

+1, what ace said.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that it looks mightily like the chestnut swatch. I'd come to the same conclusion a while back, though it does seem like a failed dye job in some ways. They're getting a bit more tan over time and losing a bit of the antiqued look on the vamp/toe (still looks great to me though). I know Grant Stone takes natty CXL and wipes a brown dye on it to get a darker tone without going brown, and thought AE might be doing something like that to Tan Dublin to get Cognac. Maybe they were experimenting with the Chestnut?

Whatever it was, I wish they'd do it some more!
Yeah, it could also be Tan dublin that came out too dark, or Cognac dublin that wasn't dark enough. Either way I'm quite happy with mine too.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My contribution toward 2400: my year-end list.
I got more than I thought this year, 10 pairs with one more on the way. I offloaded quite a few and am pretty happy with the current overall lineup. This is in no small part because my Carmina list for this year almost equaled my AE acquisitions (and may be even if we count the Carminas obtained for my wife).

The 2017 family photo:
8DDBFBA6-A07B-4F97-8AFD-19E653FD7ADD.jpeg

Order of acquisition is back row L to R and then front row.
#1: Black First Ave.
#2: Brown Grain First Ave, from our favorite eBay seller.
#3: brown Shell Strand.
#4: Golden Brown Rush Streets, an eBay replacement for a pair I had sold earlier that were not the right size.
#5: Bourbon Hanover.
#6: Massdrop Chukka in Chocolate Suede.
#7: Academy in natural CXL (favorite ebayer)
#8: Bloor Street in Brown Grain.
#9: Natural Shell Strand.

I have a pair of badlands on the way, which should fill a minor need for a comfy and versatile shoe.

Notes on each shoe will follow in the pyrrhic effort for 2400.

Shrewd weasels may note that the numbers don’t quite add up - I have one pair “in the lab” as @St Hubbins might say. I’m very excited about them if they work; the last is not an ideal fit for me but preliminary results with an insole were quite promising; normally I’m not eager to do that but I’m willing to make an exception to policy in this case. If it works out I scored a unicorn.

Happy new year, weasels!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads